Laser Sights on Leverguns & SAA's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Laser Sights on Leverguns & SAA's

Post by Centennial »

Anyone use laser sights on Leveractions or Colt SAA's/Copies or Ruger Blackhawks?

If so what kind and how were/are they mounted?

I haven't, just stuck to traditional iron sights and tang sights. But I can see where the laser would be quick, useful and a good training tool on SAA point shooting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Laser Sights on Leverguns & SAA's

Post by AJMD429 »

I have access to plenty of 'tactical' firearms, but LEVERGUNS are my go-to firearms at the farm...

I am a family physician, but lucky enough to live on the family 'farm' (land owned by family but rented to actual farmers who know how to raise crops :wink: ), we've owned for over a century, and my great-grandfather 'vacationed' there to hunt and fish in the late 19th century. We raise some goats for milk, meat, and to keep un-mowable ground clear of weeds, and chickens, and a large garden. We also raise "free-range venison" - which intrigues my 'hippie' friends, but when they realize it means "we hunt deer on land we own", tends to shock/educate them. :D

So, when me or one of my kids goes out to check the various livestock, or fetch firewood (we heat with wood), it is likely that a g-g-g-GUN (shocking to the city-dwellers, I know :roll: ) will be taken along in case a chicken-killer or goat-eater is out there (or less likely, some form of 2-legged predator).

We could take:
  • an AR-15, or an
    M1-A, or a
    Garand, or
    a semiauto 'AK'

...any one of them I could equip with 'night sights', laser, light, and legal suppressor, or...

a levergun in 357 Mag or 45 Colt or 44 Mag or 444 Marlin or 45-70 or 30-30 or 35 Remington...
Here is MY choice (link) of the family 'GO-TO' firearms => Night Scout Leverguns]

(...and they ALL have 'lasers'... :o :mrgreen: )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

On my GS, I have a TLR-4 mounted on a WWG laser mount. It's held up to hundreds of rounds so far without loss of zero.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My LCP has the Crimson Trace built in. This is my only experience with a laser. I would not want to depend on it past 15 feet in the bright daylight. It's too dim. At night, that sucker will go out a hundred yards..(Will a .380 shoot that far? :lol: ) For it's intended purpose, it's a valuable item.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

If nothing else it should certainly give a bad guy the "pucker effect"
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No. But I once installed a 40X Nightforce on a Raven 25 auto. (Just kidding) :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Great question, I must admit to finding this topic more and more interesting Centennial.

I was of the view that a real lever hunting gun should have a peep sight. Every other configuration was sacrilege. Then recently I decided to look into using scopes on a 9422 or 444 maybe. I think now there is a place for these laser sights because of their location. Scopes destroy the hand carry style I like with a lever. A laser sight mounted back like a receiver sight allows hand wrap at the balance point. There is just something special about the shape of a nice lever gun's receiver for carrying. You better be prepared for a few guys to not find your question appealing around here, lol .

However there is more than one guy who has these sights on rifles and likes them. It seems to me a better bet on the Marlins than the Winchesters because of side eject but I've seen 92s outfitted this way. Plus the lever makes a dandy farmer's tactical gun. I'm looking hard at the Trijicon dot to avoid batteries.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

(GASP)!!! Why no, that would be sacrilegious! But if you just HAVE to... ok, just don't show it to me! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Canuck Bob wrote:Great question, I must admit to finding this topic more and more interesting Centennial.

I was of the view that a real lever hunting gun should have a peep sight. Every other configuration was sacrilege. Then recently I decided to look into using scopes on a 9422 or 444 maybe. I think now there is a place for these laser sights because of their location. Scopes destroy the hand carry style I like with a lever. A laser sight mounted back like a receiver sight allows hand wrap at the balance point. There is just something special about the shape of a nice lever gun's receiver for carrying. You better be prepared for a few guys to not find your question appealing around here, lol .

However there is more than one guy who has these sights on rifles and likes them. It seems to me a better bet on the Marlins than the Winchesters because of side eject but I've seen 92s outfitted this way. Plus the lever makes a dandy farmer's tactical gun. I'm looking hard at the Trijicon dot to avoid batteries.

Canuck Bob,
You got me thinking even more about where to put one on a lever gun. Inside the front of the Magazine Tube!
Where the spring cap would be. It would limit capacity by 1, 2 or 3 rounds. But it would be protected, out of sight and closely aligned to the barrel. Almost parralex free. It would probably hold up in a saddle scabbard that way too.

On a SAA it would probably have to attach to the front of the trigger guard.
There are no grips Like Crimson Trace made for any SAA style gun that I know of.
The only other spot I can imagine is the ejector housing.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Centennial wrote:There are no grips Like Crimson Trace made for any SAA style gun that I know of.
Actually Crimson Trace USED TO make a Super Blackhawk model, I'm pretty sure. Wish I'd gotten one (but couldn't think of a reason I actually needed one).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Griff wrote:(GASP)!!! Why no, that would be sacrilegious! But if you just HAVE to... ok, just don't show it to me! :P :lol:
Strangely enough your preaching at the choir here in many ways. I keep thinking about various optical sights but got my 9422 out today and it is so pretty!! It needs drilling and tapping for a Lyman steel 56. Oh no, flirting with drilling a nice Winchester! I just keep changing the shovel and digging the hole!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Centennial wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:Great question, I must admit to finding this topic more and more interesting Centennial.

Canuck Bob,
You got me thinking even more about where to put one on a lever gun. Inside the front of the Magazine Tube!
Where the spring cap would be. It would limit capacity by 1, 2 or 3 rounds. But it would be protected, out of sight and closely aligned to the barrel. Almost parralex free. It would probably hold up in a saddle scabbard that way too.

On a SAA it would probably have to attach to the front of the trigger guard.
There are no grips Like Crimson Trace made for any SAA style gun that I know of.
The only other spot I can imagine is the ejector housing.
Is it April 1 again. I might alter my own lever but you sure are treading a slippery mountain trail suggesting such ideas for a SAA!! This revolver deprived, not depraved, Canadian had a mild shudder. :lol: Excuse my ignorance but aren't those under barrel gizmos really flashlights.

Wasn't there once a thread about a black synthetic stocked forearm pistol gripped lever with tactical rails top and bottom on here once? Maybe a Mossberg? Sorry I couldn't keep my supper down searching for that thing.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I'll stick to blued steel and walnut on my leverguns, thank you very much ;)
But there are advantages to a good sight and a laser dot can be a good learning tool, point shooting , etc....
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Anyone have any pics of a Laser or Red dot mounted on a single action?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Centennial wrote:I'll stick to blued steel and walnut on my leverguns, thank you very much ;)
But there are advantages to a good sight and a laser dot can be a good learning tool, point shooting , etc....

I'm with you on this. I finally bought a plastic stocked 22 Hornet Handi. I thought I might warm up to it for truck carry. Nope, wish list includes a wood stock some day.

I do know I've seen some threads on reflex and laser sights somewhere. I'll try and track them down.

Here you go. I knew we had a good chat regarding refex sights with pics. It is a start I hope. These are pertaining to levers. I found nothing on laser's for a single action anywhere and I am clueless on them anyway. I think your idea above would be like the laser sights mounted under the barrel of handguns. I confused your original post as a holo sight, no excuse for mental illness.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... lit=reflex
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... lit=reflex

We did have a thread on lasers on a 1911.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ilit=laser

Hold the presses! Here is something about levers and lasers that really doesn't look to unusual. It is a Crimson Trace Product prototype but their website doesn't seem to list it yet. Certainly a good indication of the possibiities or a starting point for a build. It seems putting it on the end of the forearm is handy for the switch and is not too bulky looking because it blends better with the forearm tip than it would with the mag tube.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/1 ... lid-model/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A 'Holosight' thread from way back, for those interested - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28788

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I've toyed with the idea of incorporating a lazer sight on the fore end cap, or better yet, in the end of the magazine.. The magazine plug application probably has the best potential, as it should add virtually nothing to the handling aspects of the loaded gun.. Adustments could be made by set screws, with a push-button switch mounted in/on the tube..
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Just glacing at it the Rossi 357 magazine tube ID is about 3/8" or 10mm.
I don't know if this would fit inside the magazine tube but it is the idea I was thinking of also.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Compa ... 010wt_1145
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NcSTAR-Red-Lase ... 014wt_1020

44/45 cal might be easier to find a laser to fit inside the magazine tube.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:I've toyed with the idea of incorporating a lazer sight on the fore end cap, or better yet, in the end of the magazine.. The magazine plug application probably has the best potential, as it should add virtually nothing to the handling aspects of the loaded gun.. Adustments could be made by set screws, with a push-button switch mounted in/on the tube..
The little lasers they make now aren't really much bigger than a typical end-cap for a levergun; the only 'issue' I can think of would be that the distal end of the magazine tube often does have a bit of play in it, which could wind up needing dealt with before the laser would stay precisely sighted-in.