Cowboy Assault Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Cowboy Assault Rifle

Post by Canuck Bob »

I stumbled on this site while doing some associated searching. It struck me this was worth its own thread. This fellow seems a kindred spirit as he is a lever lover. However he has some interesting ideas around something he calls a Cowboy Assualt Rifle Project. Search around his reviews he really is one of us. Here a couple of links to wet your appetite or maybe something else when you see the last link!

Laser sight prototype for the project from Crimson Tide
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/1 ... lid-model/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... ult-rifle/

And then there is this!!! :o

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/1 ... ls-to-you/

Laser Sight Prototype
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cowboy Assault Rifle

Post by 3leggedturtle »

C-B, I like that mount unobtrusive and would be great for the critters at night you need whack without lighting up the neighborhood. AJMD429 will be on to give his thoughts on this,and how (maybe) he can tell us how to make a cheap one out of things we find in a hardware store
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It isn't up on the forend, but the little LaserMax 'pistol' laser shown here in front of the Burris Fastfire-II is small enough that it fits in real well there, and is easy to activate if the red-dot isn't adequate.

If you really wanted it on the forend, you could mount such a small laser (and the current LaserMax sights are about half the size of mine), you could just use one piece of 'Weaver' or 'Picatinny' base about an inch long, and mount that short piece of base/rail on the front barrel band or cap (with epoxy or screws), or on the wood itself. Either on the bottom or side.

They also make several 'barrel clamp' style mounts with an inch of 'rail' on them, designed for AR-15 barrels, and some could be used on a tubular magazine.

Someone suggested 'in the magazine tube', like the 'guide rod' ones for 1911's; I think WildWest Guns may make something along those lines.

The setup I made just uses 'stock' items and no part of it wouldn't be useable elsewhere if I decided to dismantle it. The only permanent modification was the ones I sweat-soldered (or epoxied) rail sections to the magazine tubes for a LIGHT on, and a spare magazine-tube would put those guns back to 'factory condition' immediately.

I really like having the combination of the Fastfire-II and LaserMax, and with the ability to clip a 290-lumen or so light on when needed, the sighting system is awesome. The sub-sonic delivery of a 265 grain 45 Colt bullet is a plus, too...way more practical at night than touching off an AR-15 and not hearing for a week.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I like the first option best. The less ubtrusive the better.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Slow hitting the market... I note all of those are from 2011!!! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!