Range Reports Brownings BLR 81 .325 WSM, & NWTF BPS 12ga

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Range Reports Brownings BLR 81 .325 WSM, & NWTF BPS 12ga

Post by madman4570 »

Well gents,

First have to say both of these Browning's were made at the Miroku Factory in Japan. Pains me to say this but after going over them with a fine tooth comb must say I am glad they were. I mean the quality of these guns let me just say as good as anything I have seen including a Weatherby Mark V rifle of mine.

How do they shoot and handle?
Well the .325 WSM has it's stock open sights. I ran three single shots threw the gun waiting aprox. 10 mins between shots and also cleaned the barrel after each shot. Also I used those shots to make a fine adjustment to the windage and elevation. The third shot it was where I wanted it to be (shooting at 100yds)
I then fired from the bench (3) 5 shot groups waiting between shots aprox. 1 minute and between each group set 10 mins.
It would be safe to say that in any of the three groupings, each group was within the size of a tennis ball. All under 2.5" And the groups were where I wanted the shots placed. Action was extremely smooth in cycling and trigger pull was around 3.5lbs.Nice trigger.
Recoil, a good push but not unpleasant.
But where this gun stands out is in the material and guns fitting of its parts along with the woods finish and metals bluing.We compared it to my 1969 Marlin 336C (.35 Rem)although that is a nice gun the Browning in fit and finish spanks the Marlin.
Bottom line, it exceeded my expectations. Not many of the newer guns out there by the other Mfgs are at that level least all the ones I have seen.

Ok, now where I about fell on the ground both with pride and also very impressed.
The Browning NWTF 12ga Turkey Specail BPS
Daughter and BF came up to have dinner and to celebrate my BD.
On their way, I get a call. Its the daughter. Hey Dad, after we eat dinner do you want to do some trout fishing? Got my poles.
She knew nothing about the new BPS for her. I said, sure kiddo. We can trout fish and wife can call us from the deck of house while we are fishing. :wink:

So, we eat, fine meal (thanks honey)and daughter is programming Netflix on TV to accept Pandora Music for wife I am talking with her BF having (one)Molson Golden all while my 130lb pooch wants to get on his lap. Daughter completes task shows wife password etc.
I say to her, I have a little something for you. She said me, its your BD. I said ah its nothing just a little nick nack.
Go get it come back out carrying hardshell case. Her face gets all flushed and says come on dad now what did you do?
Put it on bar and said take a peak. BF already knew what it was he looked at me and just smiled.
Daughter walks over staring at case. I said open that sucker. She pops it open and says No that is too much, Dad???
Then before those words were completed, she says can we shoot it now?? :lol: :wink:

I say, Sure can sweetie. Reach in cabinet grab some 2.75" lead #6 shells, then some 3" mag lead #2X4 duplex Turkey loads.
Grab some 8" paper plates, roll of black gorilla duct tape, and a large cardboard backer board.
Go out back. Set down backer board, tear off a small piece of black tape place in center of plate.then stick fast plate to center of backer board with two small pieces of tape top and bottom. Walk out and set it up at 15yds form where she will be shooting it offhand.
Said, how bout we try a light load first, she shrugged her shoulders and said sure either one.
Boom, the plate was demolished and backer board. A hole about 6" with no paper plate dead center. I said can you imagine if that was a person? She said that had no kick :lol: Said give me a Turkey one. I said you sure? Its a whole lot different. It going to kick.

She said give me one please.Thank you.I said wait till I come back with that.
I said we are going to move this out some. I measured 60yds. Put new plate on backer board other end because of that big hole, came back. I said aim at the top of plate where the black piece of tape holding plate is. She takes aim while I said make sure its tight to should and watch your nose,She said boy are those sights nice. then Boom!
She said dad, that doesn't kick :shock: . :lol: Ejects shell. I said lets go see target. We go up and OMG she had 60(sixty) pellets in the plate most right where you want them.
BF tried it with new plate, said I think it kicks. She said, na!

Back at house that night I carefully removed all three pieces of duct tape.From that waxed paper palte without disturbing plate.
Also reviewed backside of her plate. Then just for the heck of it went it and measured a mounted gobbler head of one of my turkey mounts and drew that in red pencil (head/neck)outline center to plate. She had 41 pellets that were kill shots. At 60 yards. shooting offhand by a girl. I said with steel #2's Mag loads 75yds dead bird. Her shooting it. But said actually you know where these already shoot now and good grief 60yds dead bird that will do, so, gave her a box of them (25rds)
That gun all I can say is like the other gun mentioned above, ditto .
Never did get to fish, this weekend.
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Range Reports Brownings BLR 81 .325 WSM, & NWTF BPS 12g

Post by Griff »

Nice to give gifts on your own B-D, huh? Good on ya. Good shootin' by daughter.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol:
Ya, she is sure a fire cracker! I asked her how is that shoulder ?? She said perfect.

I have a Browning Upland Special "straight stock" 3" 12ga BPS with XX full choke tube.My turkey gun.
Boy that is Purdy too. I camo tape the complete gun :lol: :shock: . then every 3 or 4 years pull off tape and put on new.
Has not affected its gloss wood finish or extremely nice bluing one iota.
That is saying something. When I do it my wife says oh, I can't look. Just fine. Still Purdy!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yee haw!!! Nice post. Sounds like we have some winners!!! :lol: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

CowboyTutt wrote:Yee haw!!! Nice post. Sounds like we have some winners!!! :lol: -Tutt
I have a winner 100% because of your wonderful advice friend.
So glad I was bright enough to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about.
Thank You
Larry
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well my friend, I was just passing along the information I also received from someone else, that's all. Sure am glad it worked out though! And your daughter sounds pretty darn special!!! Good on you for raising her well (although given our past discussions this does not surprise me at all.)

Regards,

-Tutt

P.S. Still a tad jealous :mrgreen: of your BLR but my 358 Win BLR is pretty handy too thankfully. Its all good!
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Cool !

But you shoulda got the BPS 10 gauge instead of the 12 !

But of course I like 10 gauge guns !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You did better then I did !

I was at an auction about 3 hours ago to bid on a circa 1967 Browning A-5 Lite 12 that was about 95-97% . I ran the gun up to $725 and didn't bring it home :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !