Weaver PIVOT Mounts, zero v see-thru

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Weaver PIVOT Mounts, zero v see-thru

Post by Centennial »

I acquired a set a Weaver PIVOT Scope Mounts for a Savage 99. I like them because they mount low and one can still use the iron sights. For years I have used the hi-mount Weaver see-thru the bottom but never cared for the hieght and bulk it adds.
Has anyone here used these Weaver PIVOT Mounts and how are they for return to Zero or Holding Zero??
44-40
Levergunner

Re: Weaver PIVOT Mounts, zero v see-thru

Post by 44-40 »

I had them on a Whitworth Express in 375 H&H magnum. They were very durable and still returning to zero when I sold the rifle 5 years and a couple of hundred rounds later. I have a set on my workbench right now, but haven't decided what (or if ) to use them on. In truth, most scopes have gotten reliable enough probably not need them, and a low power variable pretty much eliminates the need to switch to open sights for close in shots.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I put a lot of .458 downrange testing them.
If they are real Weaver pivots, and are properly installed; they will do as advertised.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The pivot mounts will return to zero reliably, until the pivots wear (from repeated swinging) - so be sure to keep them lubed.

I stopped using the pivot mount in the mid-60's, when I used them on a (then new) .444 Marlin.

I had zeroed the scope, then pivoted it off to the LH side so I could zero the open/iron sights.

:roll:

On the 1st shot with the open sights, the scope's ocular bell (no cushion ring, back then) proceeded to take a divot out of my left temple, fractions of an inch from striking my left/"off" eye. . :shock:

I decided right there & then, that if I didn't want to use the scope on a rifle, I wanted the scope completely removed from the rifle for iron sight use - and installed QD rings instead. . 8)

They'd most likely be OK on a much lighter-recoiling rifle.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri May 02, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Wow. That is not good. I could see that scope whacking me in the left eye too. I think I will stick with what is on it. It works and I'm use to it. Thanks for all the good replies.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What kind of scope, Pete?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The Weaver high mount see thru you mentioned in your first paragraph.
During proto type testing of that product in development, I sheared off three sets of those pins sticking out the bottom; the ones that sit in the cross bolt slot in the base.
Here's a tip, when the scope comes off the rifle under recoil; don't put your arms up defensivly, it only serves to trap the scope between your face and the rifle.
I have the scars to prove it, ask Blaine; he has seen me up close.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mescalero wrote:
What kind of scope, Pete ?
An ElPaso Weaver 2x - I've always kept levergun scopes low powered.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Did it shear at the ocular retaining ring slot?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mescalero wrote:Did it shear at the ocular retaining ring slot?
:?: . :?: . :?:

IDK who your Q is directed towards, but I've never experienced a broken scope mount (over 50-odd years) - In my case, the "pivoted" (off) scope hit my LH temple because that side of my face was a little more forward of the RH side during sighting. (I didn't always have a fat face ;) )

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You, and I misunderstood; I thought the scope came off the rifle.
I think I now understand that you were just to close to it because of the way your body was positioned.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

The see-through Weaver scope mounts have been on the rifle and held up (so far) since 1974 in all kinds of use. They're a on a Savage 99 A 308 , and it was all put together with those mounts and a Weaver K3 in 1974 for $145 new out the door. The K3 quit holding zero long ago and I worried that I had worn the rifle out. But it was the scope.

As an aside I knew a old timer who just decided to glue a scope on a rifle and he did with JB Weld. Lots of it fore & aft at the scope bells.
For what ever reason it worked and he shot lots of deer with it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That was during development, and we had problems with the heat treating the pins.
I tried hard to bring science into the heat treat process.
But if you have ever known any old school heat treaters, they all, to some extent; think that there is a certain amount black majic involved in the process.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Mescalero, What year was that?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

1975 ( I think )