J Stevens Double

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

J Stevens Double

Post by pwl44m »

Picked this thing up a week ago. The Guy said it was rough and He wasn't lying. Missing left hammer and screw, front sight, buttplate and very rough stock. The forearm was taped on and when I removed the tape I found out why. The Lug that is soldered to the bottom of the barrels is missing. Up till this point I figured it would be an easy fix. Now it is basically a parts Gun or wall hanger. Still kinda cool (I'm a sucker for old Double hammer Guns)
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: J Stevens Double

Post by GonnePhishin »

How old is it? Also, is having a gunsmith replicating a lug and soldering it on too much trouble or money? Those barrels look about 30 inches long. Cool looking piece, however. 8)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too love old doubles but only if the bores are clean and not badly pitted, I used to see a lot of old doubles when I worked for Westley Richards that we called "farmers guns" they were always off the face often with brazed up pin holes in the barrels and the fore ends held on by tape. Some of these old wrecks looked and shot pretty good after resleeving and complete overhauling, however it wasn't cheap...and a lot never made it past the wall hanger stage.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Silicone. :D

I had a rolling block that I needed to make a new barrel attachment for its forend, but I "glued" it in place temporarily with a couple spots of clear silicone until such time that I could make something.
I never did. It stayed that way for years. Sold it with full disclosure, it's probably still that way.

Silicone is the thinking man's duct tape. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

The barrels are indeed 30 inch and after a brush and swab they don't look too bad. No pits as I can see and they shine. They need a little more work but at this point it is up in the air as for what to do with it. I don't have the Lug to even glue back on. lol I will do a little Net searching and see what I come up with.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

There is something very neat about those Stevens Doubles. I have used Keith Kearcher in the past with a family heirloom shotgun and he really came through. He is in Oregon....Bend I think.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8