22LR Winchester M-22 Ammo Warning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

22LR Winchester M-22 Ammo Warning

Post by JohndeFresno »

If you cannot see the graphic above:
Do NOT use Winchester M-22 .22 Long Rifle Rimfire ammunition with Lot Numbers GD42L or GD52L due to possible double powder loads.
This is a 40 gr Black Copper Plated Round Nose cartridge.
Any questions, call Winchester at 866-423-5224 or visit www.winchester.com.
Source: Ad in this month's American Rifleman magazine.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22LR Winchester M-22 Ammo Warning

Post by TedH »

Bump
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bump
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I didn't know a 22 case could be double charged. Never pulled one apart to look.
I also never saw this style box of Winchester, as I have not seen much in the way of 22LR ammo on any store shelves for the past 16 months.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This is a dumb question I suppose, but couldn't a person weigh each round and figure out by weight which has a double charge?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Enough of this noise, take your 22 and put them on a Black and Decker bench in a plastic vise and find out just how well this stuff shoots! 22 are notoriously over built. ( but do it from a distance and use a string).

Good luck - 3 Fingered Jack
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Centennial wrote:I didn't know a 22 case could be double charged. Never pulled one apart to look.
I also never saw this style box of Winchester, as I have not seen much in the way of 22LR ammo on any store shelves for the past 16 months.
Centennial, it's out there. If nothing else, go to http://www.gunbot.net and search for 22 ammo to get it online.

If you have to pay HAZMAT or shipping fees, you can get a buddy to go in with you on a large purchase to lower the overall price per round by making a large purchase. Currently, Armscor ammo is available, and its .22 LR offerings are OK.

Some sites limit your purchase to two bricks (1,000 rounds), but that is enough to get by with.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BrianSH wrote:Enough of this noise, take your 22 and put them on a Black and Decker bench in a plastic vise and find out just how well this stuff shoots! 22 are notoriously over built. ( but do it from a distance and use a string).

Good luck - 3 Fingered Jack
er... do we really want this advice on this website for a casual viewer / newbie to get himself hurt?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ref: BrianSH post;

.22s are not given the respect they are due. Most people just disregard the danger associated with them because they are small.

But if you've ever had a .22 RF chambered gun go off out of battery, that will change your mind in an instant. Those little buggers can do all sorts of damage to the gun and the shooter.
Even tying one to bench and shooting it with a string is not a good idea.

I wouldn't take a chance shooting that ammo out of my "over built" Ruger Super Single-Six let alone any other gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I'd say not all 22 LR firearms are created equally.
As to the damage a single 22 can do; I have a 1895 Marlin rifle which is a very good sought after rifle. The chamber was worn and the highly recommended gunsmith and TJ liner and a new breech block was all sent to this guy. After 3 or 4 trips cross country mailings to get it right, hit the target, and function.

On the first shot fired of Remington 22LR the round burst and sand blasted my eyeglasses. I felt the puff of air same as when the eye doctor checks you. My cheek was bloodied around the shape of the eyeglass frames.

The gunsmith had kept tightening the thumbscrew with channel locks ruining the fine knurling (demanding it be tight!), the new bolt was so roughly fitted it appeared to have been shaped on a bench-grinder. To top it off they were not concerned with my eye or glasses and blamed it all on Remington ammunition!
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Centennial wrote:I didn't know a 22 case could be double charged. Never pulled one apart to look.
Centennial, it's out there. If nothing else, go to http://www.gunbot.net and search for 22 ammo to get it online.

If you have to pay HAZMAT or shipping fees, you can get a buddy to go in with you on a large purchase to lower the overall price per round by making a large purchase. Currently, Armscor ammo is available, and its .22 LR offerings are OK.

Some sites limit your purchase to two bricks (1,000 rounds), but that is enough to get by with.
Thanks John,
I'm OK, just would like to replenish what I had, and when ever that happens it will be 3 or 4 times what I paid just 2 years ago.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

I think Brian (3 fingered Jack?!) may have been joking. But there is a little part of me wondering about putting some of those in one of those massive H&R break opens.... :shock: Is that bad?

I seem to be all about pushing the limits lately.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tactical Lever wrote:I think Brian (3 fingered Jack?!) may have been joking. But there is a little part of me wondering about putting some of those in one of those massive H&R break opens.... :shock: Is that bad?
Yep. Always wanted to re-barrel my Ruger No 1 from 7mm Rem Mag to something more practical; with the cost of 22 ammo these days, maybe now I could justify it, just to shoot a couple cases of this double-charge ammo. . . :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Call it the 22LR WSM :)
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

AJMD429 wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:I think Brian (3 fingered Jack?!) may have been joking. But there is a little part of me wondering about putting some of those in one of those massive H&R break opens.... :shock: Is that bad?
Yep. Always wanted to re-barrel my Ruger No 1 from 7mm Rem Mag to something more practical; with the cost of 22 ammo these days, maybe now I could justify it, just to shoot a couple cases of this double-charge ammo. . . :lol:
I like it!
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Centennial wrote:Call it the 22LR WSM :)
That's awesome; I think Winchester should hire a few of us on for marketing and R&D!