OT - Look what I found at work

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Look what I found at work

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I was going to take off work this afternoon but rain was on the OKC radar so I decided to stay at work. But, there's a little stretch of woods directly behind work that has a few elm trees in it, so I figured, hey lets take a 15 minute walk just to see. I no more stepped inside the woods when I spotted the first one. YIPPEE,..I haven't found any for a few years, and of all places they're right here at work. I found a total of 15 medium sized yellows, enough for dinner tonight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used to mushroom hunt some, but never could find a load that didn't just rip them all to pieces.

Seriously, one of my earliest 'food' memories is of venison and morels for breakfast with my dad.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Somehow I knew you were doin' 'shrooms Andrew... :wink: :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

YUM!!!!!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

nice find, those look great
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

[quote="AJMD429"]I used to mushroom hunt some, but never could find a load that didn't just rip them all to pieces.

Try 12ga no.8, it's like they were never there. :wink:

Those look pretty tasty, I have never tried to pick any in the wild for fear of getting the nasty poisonous kind.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I will have to go look for some morels myself. I didn't realize they were out right now. I used to be afraid to eat what I'd hunted myself, but my mother-in-law taught me how to locate the edible ones. I haven't had any in a few years, but if I find any I will be defrosting some deer backstrap to go with them. Thanks for posting!
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Oh that does bring up some fond memories. Morels are really hard to find in my part of Arkansas.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice harvest.Sauted with butter & dry vermouth..yummy :wink: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When my wife was working at the VA hospital in Tampa they got a guy in who had gotten the wrong kind of mushrooms. They had to pour charcoal down his feeding tube for two days to try and clean him out. When they got him clean they started him on clear liquids for a day. Jello and broth, that kind of stuff.
Then they moved on to heavier liquids. Would you believe the very first thing the kitchen sent him was cream of mushroom soup? He took one look at it and told my wife, you know I know they had no way of knowing why I was here, but do you think they might have something else besides this? My wife felt so bad she went down to the kitchen herself and got him some cream of chicken soup instead. When she brought up the second soup, he said you know in a little while this will be really funny.

At least he kept his sense of humor.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Deerwhacker:

You found a cell phone in a box of fungus?

Noah :wink:
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Looks like in about a month before they start growing here in NY, looking for morels is my favorite part of spring :)

Steve
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

The plant manager showed me some he had found the other day. First ones I've seen around my part. But I never knew about morels until coming on this board.

Good hunting everyone.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

That small one to the far right is actually a grey morel. That means that you are smack dab in the middle of the Yellow Morel season. Greys come out first, with the Yellows a week or two behind. I've looked for them a couple of times in KS, but haven't had any luck. Used to find them in Mo. when I was growin up.

Funny little story to relate...when I was at FA we had a guy there who would lie about anything and everything. You couldn't trust a single thing he said. One day I got a care package at work from mom in MO. It was a couple of butter tubs full of Morels shipped overnight UPS. Well, this guy saw them and tells me that he picked them by the shopping bag full up in Swan Valley...about 35 miles north of Freedom...north of the Palisades reservior along the Snake river. I thought: "Yea right...what a liar...Morels at 6000 ft".

A month or so later he comes by my work area and asked me if I wanted to go "morel pickin" with him. So I said "sure" and we planned a jaunt for Saturday. Well, out there on the flats among the cottonwoods down by the Snake river was an unbeliveable sight. Morels everywhere...and yes, we picked them by the walmart bag full. I think we had about 2 bags full apiece. Only problem was that they were in sandy soil, and you couldn't ever get all the grit out of them no matter how hard you washed them. But....I learned quite a lesson that day...even chronic liars tell the truth once in awhile :D

Ed
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Noah Zark wrote:You found a cell phone in a box of fungus? :wink:
I was wondering when someone would point out the fact that Sony's are out of season. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Depends on when the snow goes away. But I won't be looking for them for about another six weeks.

Two years ago me and my brothers went out and hit the mother load . Picked 22 pounds in one hours time.

They usually start hitting when trout season opens. Pick mushrooms ,catch trout , fry them together in butter. Life is good. :D