How About Your Favorite .22 Rimfire...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: How About Your Favorite .22 Rimfire...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:This little old Marlin is my favorite. . .
Cool gun, and great that you kept it up and running. Sounds like as a kid, you were kinda hard on things...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Picking a favorite .22 for me is like picking a favorite child. There are days when you like one more than the others but they are all keepers. I have never sold or traded a .22. Can't say that about any other caliber. The only time I loose one is when a child or grandchild decides they can't live without something I have. I am always on the lookout for another good one because everyone in the family loves shooting .22's. If I had to pick just one or two today I would probably choose my Browning BL-22 and my well worn Ruger Single six, or perhaps my Ruger MKII, but I would be sad to leave others behind.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote: Cool gun, and great that you kept it up and running. Sounds like as a kid, you were kinda hard on things...!
Yes, careless, but I didn't intentionally abuse my stuff. . The first time I broke the stock, I had leaned it up against a metal bannister post in the garage where it slid sideways and fell down concrete stairs. The second time I was rabbit hunting in some deep snow and tripped over a limb that was hid under the snow and fell face first. I instinctively stuck my arms out to catch myself and broke the stock on another log. . Some things I have to learn the hard way I suppose. :oops:
NRA Life Member
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

6pt-sika wrote:
jdad wrote:Image

Looks like a gun CPA had something to do with !

Incidently VERY NICE !
It is a CPA. I had Paul build me a #49. I did the final fit & finish, on the wood.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
jdad wrote:Image

Looks like a gun CPA had something to do with !

Incidently VERY NICE !
It is a CPA. I had Paul build me a #49. I did the final fit & finish, on the wood.
With a few add on's I'd say that gun would be about perfect !

1. Pope lever

2. Palm rest

3. extra 32-40 barrel

All of my BS aside that guns very very nice as is . I've just always wanted a full blown Pope style schuetzen with a 22 LR barrel and an extra 32-40 barrel . And if I was really lucky a 28-30 Stevens barrel as well . Of course all would need to be scoped with 12-14x Unertl's or Lyman Super Target Spots .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

This one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mike, what is it?
What for glass are ya going to put on it?
8)
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Meeteetse wrote:Picking a favorite .22 for me is like picking a favorite child. There are days when you like one more than the others <snip>
I can certainly empathize with this sentiment, because it describes me as well.
Usually my favorite is the one I've either just finished messing with or I have the urge to mess with right now.
I've got sentimental favorites, like my Dad's Model 61 Winchester. It's leaving after I leave. However, I hardly shoot it.
There're practical, fun, hunting (in several flavors, suited for different conditions/types of small game), target and so on .22s in the safe. Right now I think my overall favorite is my Hunter Model Kimber. It fills the same niche as my Browning clone of a Winchester Model 52 sporter, but since the previous owner made a mess of gluing the stock after splitting it lengthwise through the pistol grip, I won't cry if I slip and mess up the stock out in the woods.
For handguns, I'm thinking my Walther TPH, just because I've been playing with it on all my range trips of late and it's turned out to be surprisingly accurate with the right ammo.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My Cooey tube fed 22 is my sentimental favorite. It was my first powder burner and from a time when I lived on a farm with an incredible bush lot with three small ponds and the grand daddy of oak trees. A very special time in an often tumultuous youth. Donated it to a worthless BIL when I bought my Ruger 10-22 many years ago. He turned it into iron oxide.

My early 9422 standard issue is my current favorite and very likely to stay in that spot while I'm breathing. Wrestling with scoping it.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

casastahle wrote:Mike, what is it?
8)

It is a PWS summit. Carbon threaded barrel so I have my tactical innovations silencer on it, carriers a 2-7 red field scope. It's a straight pull bolt action based on ruger 10/22 action so it uses ruger mags but is legal to hunt with in Pa. Took all my ruger mags and put it with this and selling my 10/22 takedown. This one is a tack driver
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:
casastahle wrote:Mike, what is it?
8)

It is a PWS summit. Carbon threaded barrel so I have my tactical innovations silencer on it, carriers a 2-7 red field scope. It's a straight pull bolt action based on ruger 10/22 action so it uses ruger mags but is legal to hunt with in Pa. Took all my ruger mags and put it with this and selling my 10/22 takedown. This one is a tack driver

Very cool 8)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Way too many choices. But this one is getting the nod most of the times these days.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We've been selling the PWS straight pull bolt guns for a little over a year now .

Think we've sold seven of them so far . They are not inexpensive thats for sure . My gunsmith buddy has one set up with a Vortex something or other scope and a little suppressor . Another friend that does some stuff outta the shop got one . Then we sold several to regular customers .

I was told these things came to be for the Aussi or Kiwi market forget exactly which . But I can tell you shooting subsonic in that bad boy with a suppressor on the end and thats about as close to the James Bond Movie suppressed lack of noise as I've seen to date .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

It's one of the most fun rifles I've ever shot and legal to use in Pa for hunting!
Mike Johnson,

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:It's one of the most fun rifles I've ever shot and legal to use in Pa for hunting!
I think we're selling the plainest one with the Hogue over mold stock for $725-750.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Dad bought this octagon barreled .22 LR Winchester 61 in the late 1930`s. I was raised with it and it must have been the first rifle I shot. Dad added a block of wood for LOP as dad was 6 ft 5"s. Once at a small local turkey shoot I looked around and saw everyone else had scoped bolts and voiced my concern. Dad just said, "Well they still have to hold em." He stepped up and won the turkey!

Last edited by Booger Bill on Sun May 25, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This is a 1890 winchester that was in .22 WRF. Since someone before me did some stock work I went and had the chamber reemed farther to shoot .22 WMRF. Works. The stock has a cheek piece and is longer than standard. This one fits me the best of any rifle I have ever owned.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I had always wanted to find a winchester 63. Around the late 1980s I somehow unbelievably lucked into this one new in the box with the hanging tags. It was made close to the end of production about 1957.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This Winchester 70 is a first year 1937 .22 hornet. I bought it as such but on firing I found it was reamed out to K hornet. Since I bought it cheap from a private party that might not even had known it I decided to just keep it. It had a weaver K-10 on it. I bought die`s for it.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Learn something new everyday. :D
Never heard of the K Hornet.
That model 70 is sweet :mrgreen:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

It`s a blew out hornet. You just shoot standard hornet in it and it fire forms. Soups it up some. They say its great for reloading the cases a lot more times than the standard hornet.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »