Do You Have/Plan To Have Extra Dies? Parts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Do You Have/Plan To Have Extra Dies? Parts?

Post by Blaine »

I'm only a few years into loading, and really don't load that much, but I've already broke two decap pins. Are they that easy, or am I ham handed and not careful enough? I'm prolly gonna order several extra for each set of dies. NOW: How do dies hold up? Should I break out the plastic and get two or three for each caliber I do? Any other parts in the reloading set weak and likely to go TU? I'd hate to have all this extra stuff and then not be able to use it. (Been thinking about some Lee Classic Loaders.....Bullet proof, or darn near so, I'd think)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Wow. What brand?

The Lee dies have a collet system that prevents that from happening. It can be a PITA if you have particularly tight primers, but I set those aside and whack 'em with my Lee Loader decapper...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Unless your decapping Berdan primers with standard dies you have a problem :( Make sure that the decapping pin extends just enough to push out the primer. Your dies should last forever ,don't waste your money on doubles . Buy a good brass tumbler [vibrator] ,making sure your brass is clean will keep your dies in top shape :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Right now, I have a Lee Universal DeCapper that is dandy.....I use it infront of the TV with the Hand Press.....I resize that way after cleaning, too.......I actually only make it to the bench when I measure powder and seat and crimp..... Love those Lee Hand tools....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I think Foxtrapper hit the nail on the head. My guess is your expander ball/depriming pin is set out too far below your Die, and is bottoming out on the base of your Cartridge, and hence breaking off. An easier way to say it is your die is not properly adjusted. You should have directions with the dies, if not I believe you want about 3/16" of pin showing underneath the die base, and I assume you are full length resizing. If so unlock the locking ring so the die turns free from the ring itself then screw the die down so the base just touches the shell holder while your loader arm is in its full downward motion. Then lift the arm back up, and screw the die down a touch more, and tighten the locking ring. The die should be properly adjusted, and last a lifetime.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bigahh wrote:I think Foxtrapper hit the nail on the head. My guess is your expander ball/depriming pin is set out too far below your Die, and is bottoming out on the base of your Cartridge, and hence breaking off. An easier way to say it is your die is not properly adjusted. You should have directions with the dies, if not I believe you want about 3/16" of pin showing underneath the die base, and I assume you are full length resizing. If so unlock the locking ring so the die turns free from the ring itself then screw the die down so the base just touches the shell holder while your loader arm is in its full downward motion. Then lift the arm back up, and screw the die down a touch more, and tighten the locking ring. The die should be properly adjusted, and last a lifetime.
Yup, I have them just like that.....no problems on the .357, .44mag...just the 45-70.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I only use a Lee Loader for .45-70 so I can't help you beyond that....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have extra decapping pins of all sizes. I haven't broken or bent very many, but I hate having to drop what I'm doing and order replacements or run to the gun store.

I have a few duplicate sets of dies but not because I've ever broken or ruined a set. I just sometimes like to see what the other guy has to offer.

With care a set of reloading dies will never wear out. I'm still using my very first set of RCBS 30-30 dies and they were made in 1975.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I only broke my first de-capping pin when I decided to try corncob media in my tumbler a couple years ago. A little piece in the flashhole, and that was all she wrote for the pins (2 of them). Back to walnut, thanks.

As for dies, the bodies should last and last. In fact, I like to buy used dies when something I like comes along at my local shop. In fact, I saw a set of Herter's .257 Rob. I almost bought today (and, no, I don't have a .257 :oops: ).

For preventive maintenance, I spray some Sheath/Barricade on them once in awhile. For the inside of the die, go buy a few .410" bore mops and you can chuck 'em in a drill. Put some FLITZ on the mop and twirl away until everything is bright and shiny in there. 8)

scott
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

You don't really need multiple sets of dies as they will last for a long time if you take good care of them. Make sure your brass is clean and well lubed. I only set my decapping pin out far enough to pop the primer regularly. Another thing, I bought a set of rifle dies used that had the wrong size decapping pin(small when it should have been large). Just something to look for on used dies. Also, check your shell holder and make sure it is clean and without imperfections. One time, I bought a redding shell holder for 45-70 and it had a bur inside, under the lip and would not allow the shell to go all the way in. It lined up enough to size but I broke the decapping pin instantly and ended up having to carefully file that bur out with a needle file. Works every time no without breaking those pins.

Now I am not saying that you cant wear out a die because I bought a set of RCBS 257 roberts that are worn to the point that it will not size a case enough to fit in the chamber. I keep it for parts.