Choose one rifle for me to carry on extended backpack trip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Choose one rifle for me to carry on extended backpack tr

Post by bluesman423 »

I understand most of you will have your own opinions about what I should leave out or something extra to pack ................ I welcome those opinions and may actually learn from them. However, I have been taking trips like this for over 35 years and have honed my needs pretty well. 90 days is the longest period of time I have packed in to live like this.

Please consider the fact that I am 55 years old, blind in one eye with limited vision in the other and have pretty severe arthritis in my knees, hands and lower back before you decide to add to my pack load :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

How much does that all weigh.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

Old Savage wrote:How much does that all weigh.
Right now the pack weighs 68 lbs, I am trying to get it down to 65 lbs.

That weight does not include the rope or carabiners.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

bluesman,

That's a great list. Thank you.

Remember that I have zero experience in this sort of thing.

I don't know if you would save any weight, but here's a couple of thoughts for you.

For a serious outer wear I use Filson. I was an electrician for 35 years so I do have tons of experience in being out in poor weather. Filson wear is waterproof, breathes, tough, and the liners are wool. They make (or did) pants, coats, bibs and hats. Their gear actually might worsen your load though, I don't know. I used the M65 with and without liner years ago and it's shortcomings are answered (for me) with Filson.

Would a NEF Handi rifle in .357 save you weight? They can be easily scoped. With a little work they can be quite light, like around five pounds. I have a 22 inch 30-30 that with scope, sling and ten rounds of ammo weighs in at 6.5 pounds.

Other than that I can't think of anything. Which isn't surprising. :)

Good luck on your outing. Sounds very, very peaceful with lots of time to reflect.

Cat
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I'm going to toss out my own $.02 worth before reading all the other comments/suggestions!

Nothing wrong with exactly what you are planning to take, the .357 rifle with a scope, especially for where you will be traveling. Some heavy loaded cast will handle just about everything the area has to offer. As to the light stuff, I rarely find light loads to hit close enough to the POA when sighted in for something else, with the exception of one rifle, which I carry all the time now!

My wife and I are about to take off on our own excursion in a few weeks and I can tell you what I'll be taking. My tried, trusty and true 4 3/4" OM Ruger flattop in .44 on my hip and a much shot 22/410 in my hand. I've foraged with and killed so much game with that little rifle/shotgun, it would take days to type it all up.

Over the years I've found a .22 in my hand accounts for 98.9% of my foraging, the .410 barrel about 1% and my belt gun around .1%. While .1% doesn't seem like much, those are the times I've needed it to protect myself from one thing or another. I can't do without that .1%.

A couple boxes of 100 .22's and a half or full box of .410's will feed a feller for quite a while. I usually take only the .44's in my gun and on my belt, 20 rounds in total. And ever a month in the backcountry will see me bringing home 70+ rounds of a box of 100 .22's and perhaps 4 or 5 spent .410 hulls. :D

Good luck, can't wait to read of your exploits!

Edited after reading the other comments. It sounds like your .357 is your best choice with your eyesight problems and weight restrictions. Personally I worry about one single gun for 3 months, but I look forward to reading your journal afterward.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow blues, I wouldn't roll 68 lbs into a Marriott. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

bluesman423 wrote:Here is the list of my pack and attached carry contents:

Bible
10 x 10 tarp
8 x 8 tarp
200’ paracord
Gerber camp axe
Ontario Rat 7
Collapsible Saw
Blade trader w 2 blades (meat and bone saw, fillet)
Burris 8X Monocular
2 extra outer sock
2 extra inner sock
I extra under armour shirt
1 extra under armour pant
2 extra t shirt
1 extra blue jean
M65
M65 liner
military poncho and liner
15 lbs dried veggies, vacuum packed in 3 oz servings
90 day supply vitamin pack
90 day supply 2 kinds insulin, plus syringes, glucometer and supplies, metformin, levothyroxine, aspirin, Tylenol ………… in small waterproof insulated pelican case
Black pepper, garlic powder, salt
Fork, spoon (I hate sporks)
Clear prescription safety glasses, prescription safety sunglasses, reading glasses ( I will be wearing one set of prescription glasses
2 surefire lightweight flashlights, batteries, solar charger for batteries
Inflatable pillow
Sleeping bag
Toilet paper
Soap
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Solvent, oil, bore snake, m16 brush
Quality duct tape
Snare wire
Fishing line, hooks, weights
Sat phone
4 contractors bags
357 ammo (unknown load but will likely have 175 or 180 gr cast boolit)
38 ammo (95 gr cast bullet at 730 fps)
Rope (140 feet) for climbing and rapelling
Caribineers
First aid supplies including Kwik Clot and suture kits
3 bic lighters
Zip ties
Water filter w extra canister
Wash cloth
Towel
Soap
Pencil
Paper
Q tips
Deodorant
Shoulder canteen (one gallon)
Glucose tablets
Good quality pliers
Hard Arkansas stone
Several gallon and quart Ziploc bags

I submerge my medicines in the cold water creek inside the Pelican case

Over the years I have left two cooking pots, a 12" X 12" x 1/2" piece of flatiron for cooking, a grill to fit across my fire pit and a shovel at the site ............... these items have never been disturbed, probably because this area is likely never visited by humans due to its inaccessibility.

Most of my food needs will be satisfied by trapping or fishing. However, I intend to take small hogs and whitetail to add to my menu if the temp is cool enough to keep the meat while I process it.

I carry a Kershaw FodingField knife in my pocket for cleaning larger game but use the Rat 7 for most camp chores.

Someone asked about tyoes of fish .......... I have caught several varieties of perch, crappie and black bass in the small lake near my campsite ........... I use live bait and almost always use limb lines

If you have questions please ask.
I like the list. How about a cable saw to replace the folding saw, adding some iodine just in case, not to mention a couple epi-pens and some allergy medication. I had a one time reaction to something (not sure what it was) that I was exposed to everyday. Everything was exactly the same as the day before and after. Same foods from open packages, same chemical. Same place, etc.

Other than that, I believed I had no allergies. However, this year.... It seems that somehow I developed (for a few days or maybe couple weeks) hay fever. Does not seem to be every day, but for a couple days it was absolute torture. My eyes got insanely itchy. Hopefully it subsides.

I would add a tincture for sprains, strains and breaks(!) like Zeng Gu Shui. I have a very small fishing rod, looks like a very large pen, that I would probably take.

Compass, a small mirror and magnifying glass. A hard liquor; a multi purpose one that would not add to the problem if spilled on a cut. I don't believe whiskey, rye or bourbon is suitable. Could be wrong.

I have a small torch that uses a butane lighter as fuel source that I would take. Its very handy to start fires with, as it won't get blown out, and makes hot blue flame. Also can be used to solder, maybe braze. I also have made a fire starter with paraffin wax and paper. It is waterproof and burns for a good while to help get something going. If it is done right, not to thick, it will make a decent size flame.

A small gunsmithing screwdriver/combo tool. I have a little one, that is about pocket knife size that fits on a belt.

You mentioned that you have arthritis; a glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm supplement actually helps rebuild worn and damaged cartilage. Relieves pain also, because it is actually rebuilding. I have heard people say that it did not do much for them, but they may have not been on it long enough, or had pretty extensive damage.

Eyeglass repair kit, a little locktite and glue as well.

Kind of an optional thing, but a small alcohol stove may be nice for a small quick meal and to warm your hands when lighting a good wood fire is a pain in the butt. A liter of methanol goes a long way.

A heat reflective emergency blanket. weighs maybe 1/2 and will fit in a zip lock bag.

And I mentioned it before, but I would not want to go without a back up pistol. Even if it had no optic, it would be useful for point shooting.

I would probably take a spare firing pin and extractor for your rifle as well.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Having worn one enough to know, the old M65's been obsolete for 20+ years. That said, if it's what you have, there are worse options. With the liner and poncho/liner, you'll survive.

If you have the $$ to afford it, a modern Goretex jacket will be far lighter, far less bulky and with an underlayer (Merino wool sweater, etc) keep you toasty. And dry.

I've gotten soaked and frozen wearing both the M65 and Goretex, but it took a lot longer with the Goretex.

Caught in a rainstorm one night hunting with my dad, he was wearing his (issued, 1985) M65, refusing my spare (issued 2005) Goretex. I was wearing my other (issued 2006) Goretex and when we finally came in, I was basically dry, and he was soaked to the skin.

He embraced new technology and wore my spare the next day and stayed dry. :)

I still think a .243 or .308 bolt action scoped would do you well for much of what you plan, paired with a .22 pistol, but a .357 or even a .44 Magnum lever with a low power scope isn't a bad choice either.

I am effectively never without a 9mm-or-bigger handgun and some type of rifle or shotgun, but I'm dealing with a different sort of critter, and i'm not usually in the backcountry....

Otherwise, your overall packing list sounds well thought out and prepared. A couple compression/dry bags might help cut down the bulk and keep your gear dry in rain.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

That is a pretty good list. I know you have more experience than me, but there are 2 changes I would make right off the bat just from glancing over it.

Number one I would switch out the under armour base layers out for 100% merino wool base layer, such as Smartwool, Icebreaker or Minus 33 brand. I switched from Under Armour to wool and will never go back. I smell like a homeless person after one day in my Under Armour when backpacking. I can go at least 3 days in my wool and not smell half as bad as I do after one day with the synthetic base layer. Plus it is much more comfortable and a lot better at regulating your body temp.

Number two I would get a Sawyer all in one water filter. It is very versatile, very light weight, and will filter one million gallons of water with the same cartridge. You can even rig it to go in-line on your hydration bladder if you have one. That's how I have mine set up. I just fill the bladder in the river and go. You suck the water through the filter as you drink and bingo!

Either way you sound prepared, and I envy that you get to enjoy that country for such an extended period of time.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Definition of a CAMEL: A HORSE, designed by a Committee...!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Have a good peaceful time.
22 LR