At the cabin and brought my primaries

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

At the cabin and brought my primaries

Post by rjohns94 »

Made the trip to the cabin today and I brought my garand and an ammo can filled with ammo in clips. Looks nice in the corner. I also brought my very small bug out bag. A max expedition over the shoulder bag with my complete list of essentials of every day needed items, first aide, fire making (4 styles), shelter ( tarp), food (jerky and power bars),CCW, ammo, fishing kit, cordage, and even a spare power supply for my phone, as well as light, sling and shot, and amulet I tool, two knives. Travels in my car everywhere I go. Side pouch holds a liter bottle of water which I am drinking out of now so it did not show in the picture. I have binos in the truck as well as a handheld ham radio, extra clothes, boots and a sleeping bag with hammock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: At the cabin and brought my primaries

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll bet I'm not the only forum member interested in what you feel is the ideal "keep in my vehicle" kit, and so forth.

I keep changing what's in mine, and never have been sure what is most appropriate. Of course it would vary with the situation and location.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

I assume you have a "Ham" license ? Not that it matters, just another "Ham" here..

KA0IAB

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pshort wrote:I assume you have a "Ham" license ? Not that it matters, just another "Ham" here..

KA0IAB
Hmmm.... N9YRZ here, but nobody around my parts I can find who is as 'amateur' as me (I got licensed in 1995 or so, and haven't even figured out how to use my fancy-schmancy transceiver yet, as I know nobody to talk to, and would be so inept now that I'd likely barely get on the air). Someday when I get the time I need to pursue that a bit, but the local radio 'club' is mostly storm-chasers and they act kind of snotty to outsiders.

But someday after the big EMP, I'll dig my Kenwood out of its metal box and figure out how to use it... :lol: :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

HAM is an interesting hobby, but in the end, pointless.

I have 3 "licensed" radios. They are nothing but 5w walkie-talkies with cove inversion scramblers with wide, narrow and toned side bands, but I operate them on the "license" of the EMS services I belong to.

When the Fed Gov becomes pointless, I will still be able to operate these analog radios... and no FCC goon knows that I have them because I ain't "licensed".

So... Why go through the .gov strife of getting a HAM when it's just as easy/better to just get the Radio(s)?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well, there's more to it than just flipping a switch and talking. A little practice making antennas goes a long way. A 2M handi talkie isn't much but when you take a home made j-pole and haul it 30' up a tree you got something.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

AJMD429 wrote:I'll bet I'm not the only forum member interested in what you feel is the ideal "keep in my vehicle" kit, and so forth.

I keep changing what's in mine, and never have been sure what is most appropriate. Of course it would vary with the situation and location.
You'd lose the bet. :lol:
My bedtime reading is usually Harley or survival. I decided last night that the weekend should get started so I made a campfire, using flint and steel of course. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I carry that same shoulder bag with a S&W 329 and other odds and ends. The current truck gun is a 1894 in .44 MAG. But I do like the GRAND for serious work.
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have a Garand, but there are other options. The rest of your gear sounds quite well thought out.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AJMD429 wrote:I'll bet I'm not the only forum member interested in what you feel is the ideal "keep in my vehicle" kit, and so forth.

Same here.

My current truck guns are my CCW, 9mm M&P Shield and an H&R single shot 12 gage broken down under the seat. When I travel "light" to my cabin there's always a long gun as well, usually an M1A or one of my 45-70s.

Mike,
I'd love to see what the outside of your cabin looks like. :D
You guys have seen mine enough times.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason,

Here it is. All 600 square feet of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have that same bag with many of the same items. My basic kit came directly out of 98.6 Degrees by Cody Lundin. XDm 9mm and three mags plus Berkey Sport bottle, a nice wire saw and a couple of other additions. The 98.6 kit is in it's own belt/leg pouch, opening up the main pouch for use if I need to go on an extended walkabout.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm sure the answer to that is as varied as the individuals. Some of the primaries:

Water. I carry one liter in an aluminum container. I have a filtration straw, purification tablets and the Kleenex nan teen can be heated over an open fire.

Fire: strike anywhere matches in a machined water proof container, butane lighter, flint and steel, lens, fire stick, char cloth, and cordage for bow drill.

Sharps: a Bowie knife for heavy work for shelter and battoning wood, a 4" fixed blade for most camp chores, drilling bow drill holes and notches, cutting, carving, feather sticks, tool making for pegs, notches for simple traps, etc. and a multitool in case on the strap of the bag,

Food: normally protein based, jerky, canned tuna, protein bars. I often have some quick energy stuff like chocolate or such. Spork for eating. Alum cup for cooking, which the water bottle nestles in.
Fishing kit, hooks, line, lures, and two auto reels for ice fishing that can fish while I sleep or do other things. Snare wire for small game.

Shelter, folding saw, tarp, cordage, sleeping bag and hammock in truck.

First aid kit : person specific

Personal items. Everything from soap, dental floss, TP, wipes, folding tooth brush, toothpaste, needles, folding scissors, nail clippers, meds, all of this packed into a two piece plastic soap dish.

Emergency items, compass, red bandanna, thermal blanket, whistle, side arm, ammo, phone, back up power supply, ham hand held, light.

My handheld,
Some of the sharps and my bowie
Mike Johnson,

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mike, you've seen my Van.....It's already "mostly" ready to take off for the hills....
Davy Crockett might not approve but a self starting torch, with a couple extra tanks would lite fires for a lifetime, I'd guess (my lifetime, anyway :lol: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yep I have seen it. Liked your setup for sure. I have an f-250 super duty and a ford transit. My transit is a better bug out vehicle for road travel. I have a cushioned floor, cooler, and my full backpack which includes stove, and more food stuff as well as ax and larger saw. I was fitting it out same time you were doing your van. This shoulder bag goes where I go, either in the truck, transit or motor bike. I forgot to add above, that I have been biking for exercise so I also carry a bicycle either in the transit or locked in the bed of the truck with maintenance gear. Just another one of those options for escape or evasion should vehicle break down.
Mike Johnson,

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Blaine,

I'm quite sure Davy would approve of your self-lighting torch. He was no fool.

Cat
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:...

My handheld,...
So what handheld is that?

I have/use the Puxing 777+, which I use when on Wildland Fire crews.

128 Groups of memory channels
50 Groups of CTCSS and 104 Groups of DCS
Wide(25kHz) and Narrow(12.5kHz) available
VOX
Scan / Priority Scan
Programmable by PC
Adjust power Hi/Lo
Switching between Channel/Freq.
Adjust squelch level(0-9)
Busy channel lockout

And every bit as reliable/functional as the Motorolas or Kings that we never have enough of.

As for building antennas... you don't need a license to learn...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:Jason,

Mike that's awesome!!

I'd like to know more your knife, that looks really slick.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The knife is an MP knife Bowie. He has a web site MPKNIVES.COM. Under the Bowie heading, mine is the third one down. The sheath was made by INFIDEL custom leather. It's a three way with a normal belt loop, a dangler to get it below a backpack, and a small of the back arrangement. Between it and my ARÊTE 4 inch blade, they cover almost all of my fixed blade needs. Both are forged blades. The handle on the Bowie is desert ironwood burl and it fits my hand perfectly.

My ARÊTE is from fiddleback forge and has a 4 inch blade. It's my EDCFB.
Mike Johnson,

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Man-- that looks nice ! --- We should all be so lucky :D
----- Doug
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

It took a lot of work but it is worth it. Took a year do redo the inside and out. I still work on it every time I come here but it is about. 3/4 done. Kitchen redo is all that's left. I certainly could live live there full time and perhaps one day I will. Thanks for the compliment
Mike Johnson,

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That just looks like a lot of fun and relaxation in a small package! :D
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Looks like a nice get away place.

Take a real critical look at your strike anywhere matches. The ones I've bought the past few years have gotten steadily worse in quality. They are barely adequate when brand new and get worse with time. I had almost all that were in my match case fail, theyd either do nothing but crumble when struck, or smolder then go out. I decided to use up the box for my wood stove, they wouldn't strike even on the stove, and were poor even striking on the box (smolder-sputter-go out....). I ended up tossing the entire box in the stove just to get rid of them. They wouldnt even strike on the box as well as the strike on box type.

I went to the expensive wind and waterproof matches from the outdoors section at wal mart (Cohglans?). They have much more sulpher, the wind proof having sulpher halfway down the stick, and hold up very well in a match safe over time. I cut a bit of the striker board from the box and keep in the match safe with them, strike surface away from the matches. In my heavy camp gear I keep a box of strike on box type in a heavy duty Ziploc bag. For carrying around on me, I keep the good wind and waterproof ones.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks. I got mine from REI. I use them often but will keep an eye out for deterioration.
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm a big fan of "Tiny Houses".

Here's one I really like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VckbqU4kK2I

As well as this one (full build video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8iO53xBFM
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!