When did THIS start?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

When did THIS start?

Post by jnyork »

I have been hunting pronghorns in Wyoming for about 60 years now, have never heard anyone call them "speedgoats" until reading on these boards. When did that start, is that what they call them back East?

Engaged a relative in a conversation the other day, he, an educated person, used the word "exquisite" maybe five times in a 15 minute discussion. Keep hearing it used by news anchors, etc. When did that start, seems silly to me. crazy

Re: When did THIS start?

Post by Mescalero »

I remember hearing the term in Texas when I was a kid, I am 62 now.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I first heard the term speedgoats from locals when I moved to Idaho from Missouri in 2000.
NRA Life Member
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I've heard the term from Wyotes for at least 25 yrs now.

What do you have against "exquisite"? Why not add a little diversity to your vocabulary now and again. Minimalism becomes pretty tiresome after a while.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

BrentD wrote:I've heard the term from Wyotes for at least 25 yrs now.

What do you have against "exquisite"? Why not add a little diversity to your vocabulary now and again. Minimalism becomes pretty tiresome after a while.
Nothing against it except that after 4 or 5 times in 15 minutes it becomes like the fingernails on the blackboard. :lol:

I try not to take life too seriously, but have little patience for folks who have a need to show how smart and superior they are by using 50-cent words in a 3-cent conversation. :roll:

The buzz-word of the week also gets a little tiresome.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:
BrentD wrote:I've heard the term from Wyotes for at least 25 yrs now.

Nothing against it except that after 4 or 5 times in 15 minutes it becomes like the fingernails on the blackboard. :lol:

I try not to take life too seriously, but have little patience for folks who have a need to show how smart and superior they are by using 50-cent words in a 3-cent conversation. :roll:

The buzz-word of the week also gets a little tiresome.
It's so recherchéstar! :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

jnyork wrote:Nothing against it except that after 4 or 5 times in 15 minutes it becomes like the fingernails on the blackboard. :lol:
I suppose it is a bit like basically the word "literally"

Or is that like literally the word "basically" or whatever.

I don't get too worried about it. Seems like lots of folks get testy if one uses verbiage with words more than two syllables long. I figure it's just a TV education and lack of experience, but whatever works, just so long at it's more "tactical", right?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

BrentD wrote:
jnyork wrote:Nothing against it except that after 4 or 5 times in 15 minutes it becomes like the fingernails on the blackboard. :lol:
I figure it's just a TV education and lack of experience, but whatever works, just so long at it's more "tactical", right?
Oh, yes, spare us "tactical". Please. :lol:
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

and "back story".....seems like I hear this all the time now. Used to be "history".

For example, a TV commentator will give an individuals "back story" instead of history.

Also, the overuse of "amazing"......

freaks me out, man.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

"At the end of the day" :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Exactly.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

jnyork wrote:I have been hunting pronghorns in Wyoming for about 60 years now, have never heard anyone call them "speedgoats" until reading on these boards. When did that start, is that what they call them back East?

Engaged a relative in a conversation the other day, he, an educated person, used the word "exquisite" maybe five times in a 15 minute discussion. Keep hearing it used by news anchors, etc. When did that start, seems silly to me. crazy

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

I'm from "out East" and never heard them called "speedgoats" until I hunted them for the first time last year. The locals in Wyoming referred to them pretty casually as speedgoats and didn't give the impression that it was a fancy new nickname.
And they do indeed smell bad once you get a whiff of one.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Common slang, been hearing it for 20 years.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are not goats st all.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Old Savage wrote:They are not goats st all.
They're not antelope either...whatcha think about that? :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OK............ then what are they?
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Mescalero wrote:OK............ then what are they?
Antelocapridea - a single species, in a single genus in a single family.

The sister group to that family is not well defined. But would, at best, be quite distance.

http://www.ultimateungulate.com/cetarti ... ridae.html
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I read somewhere in the past year that their closest relative was a giraffe (of all things) I guess if you look them both in the face you can see some resemblence.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Knew that. :)

92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

"literally" wouldn't bother me so much if I heard it used correctly now and then :lol:

Figuratively, 99% of the people I hear using it are literally wrong in how they use it :mrgreen:

"exquisite" depends on who's using it. Ya gotta be a bit pompous to get away with it 4 times in a conversation :mrgreen:

Never heard of speedgoat before.

Traditional taxonomic naming has serious faults - it's just a way for us to stick species in a rough structure, but it doesn't really mean a lot since it is so fundamentally qualitative.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

[quote="92&94 "exquisite" depends on who's using it. Ya gotta be a bit pompous to get away with it 4 times in a conversation :mrgreen:

.[/quote]
That's him, that's him!!!! :lol:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BrentD Quite correct. A breed all their own. If related to any other thing I think it should be a Roadrunner ...Beep-Beep!!
We clocked one running along side of our rig in Wyoming for 2-3 miles at 39MPH.
He ran until he found a place to crawl under the barb wire fence that a Deer would have cleared with room to spare. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lots of those cute slang names do get old fast but are often found in outdoor mags. How many times have you read "wheel gun" or "minute of ------" blah-blah-blah. :? :? :?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is why I asked jnyork what they taste like and how to cook them.
There are plenty on the mesa below me, but I have never hunted them.
Be one for the bucket list.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, some gunrag writers used the term "speedgoat", in 1970's articles.

I'm guessin' that, back then, they didn't have to dodge kid's swing sets & sandboxes, and could really get up a head of steam. ;)

1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:
It's so recherchéstar!
BlaineG --- that word is so you... :)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Mescalero wrote:That is why I asked jnyork what they taste like and how to cook them.
There are plenty on the mesa below me, but I have never hunted them.
Be one for the bucket list.
There are probably as many techniques for cooking pronghorns as there are pronghorns. :D You only get about 25 lbs or so of meat off one, unless you make a Rock Springs head shot. :shock: My wife butterflys the backstraps into little steaks, which she cooks with gravy. The rest she makes into jerky, we take it with us when we go to Arizona for the winter.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Minimalism can be exquisite. Really, oh for sure, that has to hurt.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

I have the same question a lot
Ever ask a young kid or teenager at a feed store, you got any shell corn, and he answers no but we got whole kernel corn, or we got corn on the cobb, which would you like sir, at this point I'll say, you know I changed my mind just give me a can of cream corn, he'll say sorry you'll have to get that at the grocery store.
:D :D :D
No joke try it
New fangled folks with new fangled terminology, see just like that big wurd
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Kind of like Javalina, the result is not worth the effort.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

To me it just shows lack of respect for the animal.

Yote for Coyote has always bothered me as well.

------------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mescalero wrote:Kind of like Javalina, the result is not worth the effort.
It`s always worth the effort,. I didn't do a weigh-in of the meat I processed, from my Red Desert Pronghorn but it sure was good.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Killed only one, in Montana, which was good tasting, not Whitetail good, but good enough.
Gotta cool it quickly.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have only killed four pronghorns but every one was killed in the Wyoming extended hunts that used to be held in November. That time of the year it can be very cold. We hunted in the snow on the trips I enjoyed most and the meat was very good.
In the early season,with all the hunters chasing them around they can be very gamy just like any other big game animal that was been run around a lot.

We would take along a freezer and cut and wrap on the spot. That way the meat was great with the cold weather and fast processing.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

First heard the term "speedgoats" while standing in the morning sun's reflection bouncing off the east face of Elk Mountain back in '79. Old coot I was with, pointed to a herd of pronghorns sashaying across a dry creek bed...thought it was a unique humorous term. Have personally used it from time to time, but have not heard it from anyone else until reading this thread. Been a long time.

"Exquisite" irks the heck outa me too. It is like an itch that you can not reach or something that tastes unbearably good, but you are allowed only a crumb and not a bite. Kind of like some women I know...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

jnyork wrote:... used the word "exquisite" maybe five times in a 15 minute discussion. Keep hearing it used by news anchors, etc.
Beats the abuse of "awesome" and "amazing" that's been common the last several years. Perhaps the younger generation is just more easily awestruck and amazed. I hadn't noticed "exquisite," but I seldom watch TV.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

jnyork wrote:
BrentD wrote:
I figure it's just a TV education and lack of experience, but whatever works, just so long at it's more "tactical", right?
Oh, yes, spare us "tactical". Please. :lol:
Heey! :cry:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Read the term years ago in old shooting mags. Was probably in vogue in the 70s.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

92&94 wrote:"literally" wouldn't bother me so much if I heard it used correctly now and then :lol:

Figuratively, 99% of the people I hear using it are literally wrong in how they use it :mrgreen:

"exquisite" depends on who's using it. Ya gotta be a bit pompous to get away with it 4 times in a conversation :mrgreen:

Never heard of speedgoat before.

Traditional taxonomic naming has serious faults - it's just a way for us to stick species in a rough structure, but it doesn't really mean a lot since it is so fundamentally qualitative.
Gotta agree. And, I think this thread just got so epic, its literally surreal! :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Do they really stink? I haven't been around them, but I have been around goats. Goats micturate on themselves, and that makes goats stink. As far as whether or not the buzzword of the week is irritating, does a bear extravasate in the woods?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

To me a pronghorn stinks like a prairie dog. They both eat all those dry grasses (or whatever) and if you bust a gut on them...whew. I do my best not to gut shoot one and stand upwind to gut them if I do. I have been known to hold my breath the entire time....

As far as urine or musk, a buck mule deer smells worse to me.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I have only hunted Pronghorn once. Really want to again! I think they are one of the prettiest animals in North America. I have heard the term speed goat but rarely.