Food For Thought: High Country Packtrain

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Food For Thought: High Country Packtrain

Post by Pete44ru »

The lead is a Nubian goat; the other is an Alpine goat - Castrate them when they are young and they grow big and don't stink.

Horses and mules have to go to water every day, they cost more, and also cost more to feed.
When you haul horses and/or mules, you also need a big trailer & a tow vehicle.
The horses/mules can carry more weight then goats, but by the time you pack their feed, there's not much room left for carrying "stuff".

Goats are cheap ($25), will eat the bark off trees, and can go for 3 days without water.
Goats will follow you like a dog and will readily jump into the back of a pickup.
They can go everywhere you can and then some.
They will sleep outside your tent.
If things go bad you can eat them, and they can carry 1/4 their body weight (50lbs or gear).
With horses and mules you almost need one person every day to tend to the stock, as they have to go to water every day.

They are the way to go on long trips into the high country.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Food For Thought: High Country Packtrain

Post by Buck Elliott »

Why would I take animals into the back-country that would "eat the bark off trees", and can only pack 50-lb or less -- requiring at least 3 goats to pack as much as 1 horse..? Horses can be eaten too, if necessary, and taste a lot better than goat, IMO.. And the USFS takes a dim view of critters barking trees.. (I reckon bark beetles are OK though..? Seems like...)

When the situation calls for it, I can swap a saddle horse for a pack horse, or vice-versa.. Would sure hate to have to ride out on a goat..

Where I ride or hunt, I have no need to pack in feed, other than maybe grain, if I choose to. if the snow gets too deep, goats can't forage as well as horses.. (except for stripping trees..)

Some folks have been bit by the "pack goat" bug, but I see it as a passing fad, kinda-like the llama craze of a decade or two ago..

Horses or mules can be turned out to graze, a couple hours, morning and evening, while other camp chores are attended to.. they can water then, and at other intervals during the day. I used to run 25 - 35 head of horses/mules on pack trips during the summer months.. There is no way we could have run our operation with either llamas or goats..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

"goats can carry 1/4 their body weight, 50 lbs"

If you've got 200 lb goats for sale at 25$ each, I am headed your way with a trailer. Meat goats are 100$ each here (boer goats). 200lbs! What are you feeding em?! I think Doc AJ has been holding out on us...Goat mogul...
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yup Iam old school I ride horses and pack mules but I do believe theres nothing better than a pot of cabrito with beans, squash & your favorite bread as a pusher, maybe those goats will eat all the noxious weeds in the backcountry, you will have to take turns watching them at night everything likes to eat goats. When I was hunting elk north of yellowstone in the absarokees during the early rifle season the brn bears where waiting in line for the sheep herds that were grazing, those herders would ask me if I'd seen any bears and where. danny
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If goats could be counted on to eat only the Noxious weeds, they may have some use.. That ain't gonna happen though.. Goats will eat Anything and Everything they can reach..

BTW, many forest areas are off-limits to both pack goats and llamas..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Pretty amazing information. I never would have though people would have "pack goats."

During the 1850's? the Calvary tried using camels out in the SW desert but I believe they didn't know how to handle 'em and if I'm not mistaken just let 'em go. Even "Have gun Will Travel" did an episode where Paladin rode a camel in a contest out in the desert.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

octagon wrote:"goats can carry 1/4 their body weight, 50 lbs"

If you've got 200 lb goats for sale at 25$ each, I am headed your way with a trailer. Meat goats are 100$ each here (boer goats). 200lbs! What are you feeding em?! I think Doc AJ has been holding out on us...Goat mogul...
Haven't weighed any of our current Nubians, but 200 lbs isn't unusual. A buck or wether especially.

What is amazing is how agile the ungainly-looking beasts actually are, even when toting a full udder the size of a 2-gallon pail...!

They do need a guard-animal with them, though (Great Pyrenees dog, Donkeys, Llamas - all will defend against canine predators pretty well - our llama almost killed my nephew's Malamute when it got in with the goats). I've heard people in 'bear country' who have horses use camels for a guard-animal...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I carry most of my gear; my dog caries the rest. She seems to enjoy having some sort of job during out outings. I use neon green dog packs to avoid city-folk hunters from shooting her as a small deer. I used to just put a turkey bell on her but that was not enough to prevent opening day drunks from drawing down on her.