My Jack Russell was successful today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

My Jack Russell was successful today.

Post by piller »

This morning, I went out to the garage to get food for the Jack Russell and the Chihweenie, and there was a black streak past my right leg and the Jack Russell growled at something. I stopped and watched as she killed a 4 inch rat with a 6 inch tail. That rat had somehow got into the garage and was into the dog food. The Jack Russell (an all black dog named Sparkle Diamond) dropped the dead rat, looked at me and walked back into the house as if to say that she had just done her job. With the weather having hot days and cool nights, the rodents are coming indoors where possible. I am glad that one of the dogs in the house is a hunter. The Chihweenie was just interested in getting her breakfast.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: My Jack Russell was successful today.

Post by shooter »

I have been in serious need of a Jack Russell lately. We have lived in this house 6 years and never had trouble with rodents that we knew of. Just in the past couple weeks we have had mice in the garage after the dog food. I had to get an airtight container for it and move it inside. Set a bunch of traps and put out poison. I think I've about got them all cleared out now.......I HATE mice, and hate rats even more.

As a side note, I used to loathe all the feral cats that hung out around our neighborhood. I live in a fairly new subdivision that was farm land just a couple years ago. Not 50 yards from my house is a greenbelt with a creek running through it. The feral cats used to live in there and hang out around the house a bunch. They disappeared and the mice showed up. Makes me think those cats were more benefit than they were a nuisance.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good dog :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's the time to praise them and make a really big deal over them. I love it when a dog reverts to their natural instincts.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They are such great dogs! Mine got a small bird in the house that flew in the patio door as I was walking out the other day. I came back in just in time to see my wife cleaning up a pile of small black feathers. It was all so quick no one even saw it happen. My little Rat Terrier is a killer too. Love those little buggers. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

best rat killer I ever had was an elkhound. He would leave them on the back deck for inspection.
He also used to jump squirrels and birds - it was amazing to watch him hunt.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

piller wrote:This morning, I went out to the garage to get food for the Jack Russell and the Chihweenie, and there was a black streak past my right leg and the Jack Russell growled at something. I stopped and watched as she killed a 4 inch rat with a 6 inch tail. That rat had somehow got into the garage and was into the dog food. The Jack Russell (an all black dog named Sparkle Diamond) dropped the dead rat, looked at me and walked back into the house as if to say that she had just done her job. With the weather having hot days and cool nights, the rodents are coming indoors where possible. I am glad that one of the dogs in the house is a hunter. The Chihweenie was just interested in getting her breakfast.

IMO it'd be best, if nobody @ yer place dressed up like Mickey Mouse, fer Halloween this year ! ! :mrgreen:

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A good terrier is worth its weight in gold, give her a pat from me....... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my dad had a rat terrier - he tells stories about it climbing trees to chase squirrels out of hiding
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I will have a Rat or Jack Russell before long. the Wife is still getting over the loss of the LAST cat.... on the property. We have loads of chipmunks and mice that a Terrier would love to play with. Which one is a better house dog? a Jack or Rat Terrier? Give Yours a treat for Me.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

My golden killed a chipmunk in the garage this morning. I was not particularly happy about that. But dogs will be dogs.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dogs are a blessing in and of themselves, but when they also perform useful work it is icing on the cake!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sparkle Diamond did receive a lot of praise yesterday. She also got an extra treat. I love it when a dog is able to help around the house as it makes them proud to be able to do something for their family.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote:I will have a Rat or Jack Russell before long. the Wife is still getting over the loss of the LAST cat.... on the property. We have loads of chipmunks and mice that a Terrier would love to play with. Which one is a better house dog? a Jack or Rat Terrier? Give Yours a treat for Me.
They're both great dogs. My Jack Russell is a little more trusting of other people that my Rat Terrier. Jackson my RT is a little over ten pounds but he is definitely the ring leader. He's a better mouser than any cat I've ever had and he's my best little friend. Our JR is super smart, she can open doors with lever style locksets. She knows how the round ones work but can't get a grip on them. She's about 10-12 pounds heavier than Jackson and just as good at chasing small animals around the yard. :D
All depends on how small you want to go. I don't think I'll ever be without one or the other.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Good at killing but don't always care what. I shot mine after I discovered it was responsible for killing my goats. J. Russell kill a goat you say? Yep. It would kill the kids or attack the does while they were giving birth resulting in loss of both the does and the kids.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good dog!

Yep, feral cats - heck, any cats, keep the mice and rats down. You can't erase the instinct, no matter how well fed they are.

My wife's wiener-dog loves to race out onto the deck and kill lizards sunning themselves. My wife hates lizards, so this is a good thing!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that was my Akita - she killed a dozen feral cats.