Skinner Sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Skinner Sights

Post by 308magtip »

I posted awhile back about a redfield or lyman peepsight for a mod 88.AllI could on the ebay sites was very old used stuff and some was so bad a week soaking in kanakroil would not get it to move.I am getting a Skinner sight for the 88.Anyone here ever use sights from Skinner?
KLNC
Levergunner

Re: Skinner Sights

Post by KLNC »

Yes. They are excellent quality, a simple design that works. Has both windage and elevation adjustments. The only limitation, if you would call it that, is that isn't very repeatable if you intend shooting at various distances--there are no scales per se--you would have to count turns of the aperture screw. It's really better at sighting in at a specific range, then making adjustments by "Kentucky windage". Also, elevation is somewhat limited if you intend shooting at very long range. But all in all a quality product with good application in normal use.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

^^^ What he said. ^^^

I also like the Patridge front. I have taken a tiny file and shaved a flat face on one thread in two places to denote the short and long range settings I want to repeat. Marked them with white auto paint.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I have one of his sights on a Rossi 92. Quality stuff and he has exceptional customer service. When the front sight he sent turned out to be too tall he sent a new one right away without any hassle even though it was my fault for not telling him it was for a 16" barrel instead of a 20". I highly recommend him and his product.

And what KLNC described about the sight is spot on.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The quality of Skinner sights has always been high, even before Andy bought the company from Dr.Tim (Skinner).

They've always been willing to alter their product to the customer's needs.

For instance, When I wanted to replace the Rossi M92 bolt safety with a Skinner Lo-Pro peep sight, the only LoPro stem offered was 8-32, to fit the Marlin levergun scope mount screw holes.

The Rossi's safety hole in the bolt wasn't large enough to take the 8-32 stem, and leave enough meat in the safety-replacement plug I made) around the stem to allow tapping the plug 8-32.

So, I talked to Skinner about buying a LoPro peep sight with a smaller 6-48 stem.

The answer was: No problem, no extra charge - just specify what you want in the comment section of the Skinner web site's sight ordering page.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I heave a Skinner rear sight on one of my Marlin 1894`s. Very good quality and a great hunting sight.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Pete44ru wrote:.

The quality of Skinner sights has always been high, even before Andy bought the company from Dr.Tim (Skinner).

They've always been willing to alter their product to the customer's needs.

For instance, When I wanted to replace the Rossi M92 bolt safety with a Skinner Lo-Pro peep sight, the only LoPro stem offered was 8-32, to fit the Marlin levergun scope mount screw holes.

The Rossi's safety hole in the bolt wasn't large enough to take the 8-32 stem, and leave enough meat in the safety-replacement plug I made) around the stem to allow tapping the plug 8-32.

So, I talked to Skinner about buying a LoPro peep sight with a smaller 6-48 stem.

The answer was: No problem, no extra charge - just specify what you want in the comment section of the Skinner web site's sight ordering page.

Hmmm. I didn't know Doc Skinner sold the company.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

66GTO wrote:
Hmmm. I didn't know Doc Skinner sold the company.
Yep - 'Bout 4-5 years ago, when the Skinner products suddenly grew from a few into multiple offerings under the new/Andy's ownership.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

+1 on Skinner sights. Love 'em!
The only thing better (for my needs) is a good quality properly matched scope. But that is for my older eyes at distance.

Skinners look nicer than others, have easy screw-in multiple apertures, and are offered in gun blue or
brass, which is pretty classy looking.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Skinners look nicer than others, have easy screw-in multiple apertures, and are offered in gun blue or
brass, which is pretty classy looking.

FYI - Some/most of the Skinner peeps are also now available in uncolored/silver-looking stainless steel.