WW II jacket emblems, help with ID

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

WW II jacket emblems, help with ID

Post by dkmlever »

These came from my dad, he was not a pilot but did serve 4 years in the India during WW II (where the China Burma conflict was going on I think)....he brought these two leather emblems home and they have been in storage ever since.
What are they, how were they used and do the have any collectable value. They are in excellent shape.
Thanks

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: WW II jacket emblems, help with ID

Post by Pete44ru »

This is a Early AVG (American Volunteer Group) Flying Tigers Leather Blood Chit from the WWII US China Theater - worth $250-$300 for a gennie with provenance, like yours. (copies are $30)

Blood chits are usually associated with the AVG Flying Tigers, 14th Air Force Flying Tiger squadrons, and other units operating in the CBI (China/Burma/India) Theater.
They were sewn on the backs (both inside and outside) of the Army Air Force or US Navy/Marine Corps flight jacket or flying suit.
They were intended to keep a downed pilot from being killed or otherwise harmed by the local population, many of whom had never seen a Caucasian before.
The flag or flags of the government(s) of the area(s) being flown over were shown, as well as a message written in the local language(s).
Paraphrased the message is; "I am a downed American Airman. I have come to help rid your country of our common enemy, the Japanese. If you keep me safe, provide me with food, water, shelter, and medical help, you will be rewarded by my government when I am returned safely to my countrymen" (The US Allied Forces).

This is a WWII US CBI Flying Tigers AVG Group ( 1st American Volunteer Group) regimental flag for the China/Burma/India Theater - IDK a value.

Prior to US involvement in WWII against the Japanese (pre-Pearl Harbor,7 Dec 1941), US military pilots (and their support groups), anxious to fight enemies of the US, volunteered to fly/fight for the Chinese gov't at that time, to fight the Japanese - who were already aggressively active in Asian combat.

The volunteers were temporarily released from their US service obligation, so that the pols could say that the US Gov't wasn't involved in China, then (the survivors) re-patrioted into the US military after Pearl Harbor.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Death defying, and Glorious times. Superior, and patriotic men....Sort of like the Eagle Squadron; American pilots that went to fight Germans in the Battle of Britain before we jumped into the war. More reasons this was the Greatest Generation.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:...More reasons this was the Greatest Generation.
Biting my tongue... :twisted: With numerous exceptions.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:...More reasons this was the Greatest Generation.
Biting my tongue... :twisted: With numerous exceptions.
For a start: Roosevelt, Chamberlin, etc.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Pete,
Thank you so much for the info, wonderful history.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Gregory Pappy Bowington was in such a group of airmen in Burma
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

BlaineG wrote:Death defying, and Glorious times. Superior, and patriotic men.....
God bless them, but they were mercenaries, paid 5-times a prewar Army Air Corps salary, plus serious cash for each kill.
Simply, they weren't fighting for flag and country.
Who knows what we'd say about Hessians if we were still British.
Brave men with a skill that was needed and worth the price.

Thanks for showing your keepsakes - they are true treasures.
Nothing down on the brave men who fought these battles before the war. They are true heroes.
Also, honor and thanks to your dad for his service.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

"they weren't fighting for flag and country"

Yes they were, as much as the Americans who joined Canadian or British forces before 1942 because they couldn't wait to get into the fight.
My understanding is that most of the AVG transferred in place to US forces when the AVG disbanded.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

absolutely and they took an 80% pay cut
didn't once say they weren't heroes, but our flag and our country wasn't at war, and our air corps servicemen were granted leave of absence.