reloading questions on the 300 BLK

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

reloading questions on the 300 BLK

Post by carbluesnake »

Just ordered from Midway 300BLK dies. They are the 3 die setup from Lee. I hear their crimping die is really good, and that the 300 really benefits from a crimp. I am not aware that the Lee sizing die is a small base die or not. I was thinking that the small base die was darn near mandatory for the AR platform, but a friend of mine said he has had no problem in his AR with the Lee dies. You guys have any opinion or experience with this? Also, any specific recommendations for a 125-130 gr. bullet for this. I don't think I need boat tails as my intended max range will be 300 yards.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: reloading questions on the 300 BLK

Post by arjunky »

I've only used processed brass so far. Lee dies no problems, yet. I tried 17.8 grains WW296 with nosler ballistic tips out of my 10.5" pistol and groups were not quite twice as big as hornady 110 vmax load.
I haven't had anymore time to play with it yet.

Byron
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have been shooting either Nosler 125gr BT or Speer TNT (bulk boxes) out of my 300blk. If the wind isn't blowing, I can hit a 7"x7" plate @500 yds easily, but at our range, seldom is there not any wind!! No chambering problems with standard dies.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've shot 500 or so reloads from my Lee dies, and no problems. Still trying to find optimum COAL and other parameters for the different firearms. Mostly wanting a subsonic load for 8" AR pistol so I'm using 180-220 grainers and 1680 powder around 9-10 grains I think. Have an encore 16" though, and it seems to like longer COAL.

Anyway, the Lee dies have produced perfectly functioning loads for three different AR rifles, a pistol, and of course the Encore. Two of the rifles have been cannibalized to generate funds and parts to make the pistol, so I have only one left I may fiddle with.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Appreciate the info. I was thinking Nosler 125 grainers at about 2100 fps in a 8"SBR. I wasn't sure if the boat tails would behave in this setup.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

carbluesnake wrote:Appreciate the info. I was thinking Nosler 125 grainers at about 2100 fps in a 8"SBR. I wasn't sure if the boat tails would behave in this setup.
With the right powder and a little over loaded you might get 2100. I doubt it, but :o
Maybe 1800-1900. I haven't chronographed anything yet so I can"t say.

Byron
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

arjunky wrote:
carbluesnake wrote:Appreciate the info. I was thinking Nosler 125 grainers at about 2100 fps in a 8"SBR. I wasn't sure if the boat tails would behave in this setup.
With the right powder and a little over loaded you might get 2100. I doubt it, but :o
Maybe 1800-1900. I haven't chronographed anything yet so I can"t say.

Byron
I think he's right here...if you want that kind of velocity you're going to need more barrel.

I jumped on the 300 Blk Out not too long after it came out and only dies you could get without a 6 month to a year wait was the Lee dies. A problem with some of the early ones, they may have corrected it by now, was that the sizing die over worked the case neck by downsizing it too much and then re-expanding it. Several people on the old Blk Out forum had this problem and had to return the dies for adjustment.

The way to check this is to remove the expander assembly and size a case. Then measure the inside neck diameter with a dial caliper. If it's smaller than .303 you may have a problem. Mine originally took them down to .298 and then back up to .308. That's way too much work on the case neck and will shorten you case life. I was lucky and had read about the problem before I got the dies so I checked them before I sized a bunch of brass.

Just something to check...like I said they have probably corrected the problem.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Yeah I don't think you're going to get that fast with an 8" AR.
IIRC all my 11 & 12" guns (locked breach, no gas port) maxed out in the 1900-2000 fps range with 125gr ballistic tips with fairly high pressures. (pushing it, very short brass life)

I love the 30-221 but you can't turn it into something it isn't.
Slow is just slow.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I appreciate it. Whatever it is, it is. Overloading is a poor way to go. If you have to overload it, you have the wrong cartridge. 1900 will be fine if that is what it will get.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

carbluesnake wrote:Whatever it is, it is. Overloading is a poor way to go. If you have to overload it, you have the wrong cartridge.
Yep.

THAT is a statement that could well be repeated on many, many other threads all over the internet, where folks discuss pushing all sorts of cartridges beyond what they can do well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "