If you like archery!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

If you like archery!

Post by Nath »

Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: If you like archery!

Post by cshold »

Awesome 8)
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Freaking outstanding! :o
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like it so much that he looked at the old sources and took instruction from them. He has taken the "sport" from the movie version to the reality version of reality. That's really really outstanding. I wonder how he feels about isis.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Holy snap, that's awesome.
Love his table bar scene :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

WOW!!!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Amazing.

I think we vastly underestimate some of the knowledge and abilities people had hundreds and thousands of years ago. I bet we've lost about as much knowledge as we have gained since the industrial revolution.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon I do need more practice with my bow.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Awesome
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Now I am even more glad I have a stick bow...

His style makes sense.

But I gotta practice...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

makes me think Otzi was formidable and his attackers might not have got off scott free.....
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

FLINT wrote:Amazing.

I think we vastly underestimate some of the knowledge and abilities people had hundreds and thousands of years ago. I bet we've lost about as much knowledge as we have gained since the industrial revolution.
No that I do agree to!

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:
FLINT wrote:Amazing.

No that I do agree to!

N :D
Yes, sad but true...
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

It is interesting and skillful for certain. However, I have doubts that he is pulling more than a couple dozen pounds, if that. I also don't think it likely he would go grabbing an arrow out of midair if shot from a decent hunting recurve shot at full draw. A lot of those stunts have me wondering about the bow weights and arrow velocities.

It's impressive, but I'm not so sure how practical it is.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

What Brent Said... :? .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

It seems more practical than the movie version, it is definitely more practical than having to shoot a dead still object from a dead still position, like you see constantly, and it makes the battle tactics much more dynamic. as far as not using a full draw, I'd say at close-in distance full power is not necessary to bury the blade, same way a pistol is more useful for close-in engagement than long distance engagement.

Speed shooting doesn't preclude slow fire, long range engagements, or any other variety of archery, so altogether I'd say the man has enhanced the history, practice, and science of archery by at least an order of magnitude.

Grizz
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well put.

In the video I think there was a short clip where he does full draw with some distance to the target!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Brent, I agree with you that he appears to be shooting those of low draw weight. However, Plains Indian tribes like the Comanche gave the US Cavalry fits generally shooting bows that shot 40 pounds or less withdraw lengths of 22-24 inches. By today's standards those were extremely underpowered bows that probably shot a lot like the one he's using, but they regularly killed bison that weighed up to 2,000 pounds with them. Although some of his theatrics are a bit hokey, I would not want to stand in front of him no matter how weak a bow he is using.
Last edited by superchicken on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

At the end of the day it all comes down to mastering the tool.
Practice practice practice. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Must agree with Lassiter. Wow!

Maybe that 180 lb. draw weight bow that Itzi was carrying was just the way he wanted it. (The man in the ice on the Itsal Alps.)
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Maybe Itzi starved to death after he tore up his shoulder trying to shoot a 180# bow. From what I remember, the archeologists thought the bow he was carrying was a stave that was not completed.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Well, call me a pessimist, but in the age of the internet, I'm highly suspicious of any video that looks extraordinary when posted on the web. There are a bunch of things that I'm thinking are flat out faked in that video, and that I would have to see in person to believe. That said some of it still is pretty impressive, but I'm an unbeliever in about half of that stuff. If he thinks he can catch arrows out of my recurve (48#), I'd sure like to see it. And I'd bet a hell of a lot of money he can't split my incoming arrows fired from any reasonable distance either.

If any of you have ever seen Brian Ferguson shoot in person, you will see some pretty remarkable skills as well. But he doesn't hit every time either. He's a hell of a shot and trick shooter and a super nice guy. If you get a chance, do go see him, you won't be sorry.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Let me put it this way...

the Scorpion .32 ACP submachine gun is in no real sense a "combat" firearm, but I would not want to be in front of one being used against me.

Heck, I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of a FA/compressed gas .177 BB gun.

The Giriondi Air Gun carried by the Lewis & Clark expidition barely made .32ACP power, but was a repeater and considered one of the most dangerous "assault rifles" of its day. I sure wouldn't want to be hit by a ball from one.

The Pygmies shoot tiny, low draw weight bows with no metal points at all... but their clever use of neurotoxin covers the stretch.

Remember too, that the Roman Pilium and Sling were incredibly effective - not because of their power, but because of their speed and disorienting effect.

I'm a big fan of "big, heavy, slow", but when it comes to blades - which an arrow really is, things change...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

BrentD wrote:It is interesting and skillful for certain. However, I have doubts that he is pulling more than a couple dozen pounds, if that. I also don't think it likely he would go grabbing an arrow out of midair if shot from a decent hunting recurve shot at full draw. A lot of those stunts have me wondering about the bow weights and arrow velocities.

It's impressive, but I'm not so sure how practical it is.
One thing I'm noting is he throws the bow around a lot once he releases the arrow, as if to give it a little extra energy by physically slinging the bow.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Old Ironsights wrote:the Scorpion .32 ACP submachine gun is in no real sense a "combat" firearm, but I would not want to be in front of one being used against me.
The Czechs I have spoken to about it are in no way underwhelmed by the Skorpion, and tell me not to underestimate the .32 ACP out of it. The seem genuinely surprised that Americans see it as ineffective.

As far as that goes, I personally know people who have not just killed, but purposely hunted polar bear with .22 LR and .223 with no hesitation. I know a guy who killed a minke whale with a .243.

A lot of it has to do with our expectations. These were people who used to kill polar bear with spears.

We know that people used a variety of different types of bows in the past, and if you look at recent bow developments, the draw weights have increased due to our perception that lighter draw weights will not kill and in our quest to increase the effective range of the bows and drive heavier arrows. At CQB distances, a shorter 25# bow will kill just fine, and be less unwieldy than an English military longbow, usually used in an artillery role. It is like the difference between a rifle and a carbine or pistol, or in use (purpose), like the difference between a carbine and a howitzer.

By the way, at one point he shows the draw weight of the bow, and also describes the arrows used when he shoots the arrow in flight in the description. From what I understand, this stuff has been verified.

As a particular weapon falls into disuse, people tend to forget the tactics that were developed once its use is relegated to sporting or recreational use. I'm sure we could learn some really interesting stuff about tactics with bows and other weaponry if we could only speak with fighters from the past.

We also forget how really advanced some of the ancient weaponry was, both in construction and in design. We have only recently figured out how the Ulfberht may have been made, using technology we never imagined was known in ancient times. Most people have never even heard of the double bows built to penetrate dense jungle for fighting in SE Asia. We are finding more and more that people we have considered very primitive had very advanced technologies and methods.