M-16 shot til failure (830 rds)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

M-16 shot til failure (830 rds)

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.full30.com/video/f8a39753e6 ... 1d7a2fa7c?

Still impressive for a light carbine not intended for sustained fire.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: M-16 shot til failure (830 rds)

Post by Blaine »

Actually, I thought it might hold up longer than that....... The 3 round burst setting was a very wise addition.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Worst torture test I ever did was 90 rounds semi-auto from a drum. Piece of cake at probably only 100 rounds per minute. :D
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Changed my opinion of these fancy gopher guns!!!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Would have been interesting to see how a mil spec barrel and gas block would have fared vs the stainless barrel and aftermarket gas block they used. The mil spec barrel is made from machine gun barrel steel. Also note everyone of those drums failed to hold the bolt back, creating an issue when reloading. Two of the pmags also did not hold the bolt back.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:Actually, I thought it might hold up longer than that....... The 3 round burst setting was a very wise addition.

I think it would have on a mil spec rifle. I think that "bombproof" or whatever they called it gas block created a choke point by not allowing the barrel to swell, note where the rupture is. I think it also held a lot more heat than a mil spec front sight. A mil spec pinned on front sight would have allowed the barrel to swell and allows air flow around the gas port area. I really do not like the clamp on or set screw type gas port/front sight bases. Stoner was a very, very good engineer, I wish more people respected that.

On another note, in 120 deg weather an M4 on burst will start to cook off after about 12 mags. :)
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

8)
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm kind of shocked that the steel case went that long without gumming up or breaking the extractor.

Loved the gas tube glow. Probably would have gone the distance with a HB instead of the stepped mil-spec. Certainly that hand guard allows more airflow and an old A2 setup would.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Certainly that hand guard allows more airflow and an old A2 setup would.
Wow. Hadn't thought about that. Those old handguards didn't ventilate much, did they...!

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Another thought occurred to me, that is, in addition to the barrel not being mil spec steel, it did not have chrome lining. I'm fairly certain a milspec FN machine gun steel chrome lined barrel would not have had any rifling stripped as the stainless steel barrel did, nor would it have failed/ruptured as that one did. More likely the gas tube would have failed as explained in the video at the beginning. There are many other reasons that I think stainless is a poor choice for a barrel but I'll leave that for some other time.
11B30
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

THAT KIND OF FUN WOULD PUT ME IN THE POOR HOUSE...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

There is a video of a test on a MIL-SPEC carbine - it is fired much faster, with two people involved in reloading and one firing, and it goes for more rounds, if I remember right. Barrel started to glow, started to droop, glows brighter, and finally fails.

This is how they fail when fired too fast - the barrels melt. The upper can take it, so can the bolt, but the barrels get hot, soften, droop, and fail.

By the way, the right stainless steel is an excellent barrel material. But for match barrels, not for sustained fire.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Never did that to a M-16 and was impressed the unlined barrel lasted that long. The FN chrome lining and hammer forged barrel would last better that a softer stainless. Fired a M-60 to failure one time with two cans of minigun linked ammo and no barrel changes.
Thanks for posting.
It is not the critic who counts