PRICE CHECK - late model 16" Win 94AE in 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

PRICE CHECK - late model 16" Win 94AE in 30-30

Post by Noah Zark »

Local shop has one on the shelf, used, it's a late 30-30 Model 94AE, 16" barrel, carbine sight setup behind the band, really "blah" stained maple or birch stock but few dents, thin hard rubber recoil pad and the stinkin' pushbutton safety. No saddle ring. It has been fired, but there's few brass tracks at all. Some very sparse and light freckling on the right side of the receiver. They want $350, may could get it for that OTD at best.

I have a slightly older 16" 30-30 94AE without the stinkin' pushbutton safety, but I'm tempted to spring for another one for a little lever-action horsepower in a second vehicle, and I have a soft spot for 16" levers anyway.

$350 seems like "OK but not a steal." What youse guys think?

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

whether its worth it or not that is what the market is, so unless you get lucky you'll probably end up spending that....I sold a couple of Trappers a couple of years ago for 250 each (45 and 44) wish I could get them back now good luck
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Carbine are very popular in 16" and getting harder to find. I am a big Winchester fan, so I am biased, but I would pay it.

What else you going to do with $350?......Fill up your tank...ride to town and get dinner and a movie for two....
The gun will be around longer :wink:
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I'd say you will never again find that gun at that price. I hate those cross-bolt safeties, but at that price i would live with it. Check the auction sites and see what the trappers are bringing.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Noah,

Just for reference here's a couple from Gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=93673557
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=92354238

Even if Winchester does decide to start remaking them, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be going for between $450-$500 new. And if you're going to use it as a truck gun, then I doubt the new ones will be any better function wise
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I bet a 16" Barrel is a quick rifle!
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

The Trapper's seem to attract a premium over the 20 inch carbines. I think that price is fair. There's a store near me, Trop Gun Shop in Elizabethtown, PA, that sells lots of used Model 94's in the $300 to $400 range. Online, you can add $200 or a little more here or there. I think the price you quoted sounds pretty reasonable.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Standard 30-30 94AE 20 inch barrel for $300 at the local shop, walnut stock. Just for a reference.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

meanc wrote: Even if Winchester does decide to start remaking them, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be going for between $450-$500 new. And if you're going to use it as a truck gun, then I doubt the new ones will be any better function wise
Man's got a point, right there. Thanks, meanc.

ursavus.elemensis wrote: The Trapper's seem to attract a premium over the 20 inch carbines. I think that price is fair. There's a store near me, Trop Gun Shop in Elizabethtown, PA, that sells lots of used Model 94's in the $300 to $400 range. Online, you can add $200 or a little more here or there. I think the price you quoted sounds pretty reasonable.
I make a point to stop at TGS (and Enck's Gun Barn a little northeast of TGS) when I'm in the area. I've bought a few things from them over the past 15 years or so.

I appreciate the input from all, thanks very much.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .