(Long) Range report!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

(Long) Range report!

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well guys, I finally go to go target shooting for the first time in 2 years. I haven't had an off road vehicle for some years now and could not get up to the top of Cow Mountain BLM land. It turns out one of my motorcycle friends also shoots a little bit and has a capable Jeep, so he was able to drive and off we went today. The weather was crazy nice for February and probably 75 degrees. We had to do some steep hiking to set up our long range targets but we also had some very nice rock formations that provided excellent target arrays that were actually better then our paper targets being that we did not have a spotting scope.

The first picture here you can see our paper targets, then the large rock formation to the right. We used that formation to get on target, then we shot at the smaller rock in the lower right hand corner of that formation. It made a dandy target. We estimated the range at 350 yards. It was not as far as the 400 yard steel targets I shoot with Jim Williamson and Old Savage north of Los Angeles with some of our other Levergun friends. If you look to the farthest most right in this picture you can make out a smaller round rock formation that became the next array we shot at. We could see the hits pretty well with our binoculars or with the naked eye.

Here are the tools I bought. From top to bottom, “Old Thirty One Twenty”, a 71/84 Mauser I have had for years. The loads I had were using the lighter 385 grain bullets and were not loaded by me, but they seemed to function well. I needed to shoot them up so I could reload the cases with my own custom 485 grain bullets and smokeless powder load.

The next rifle is my custom McPherson 454 EX Puma. It has too much to list but I could not afford “bling” so it looks stock. It cycles regular 454 Casull or cartridges 1/10th of an inch longer. This allows me to use more powder or some bullets not normally useable. The chamber was also throated to allow for the longer cartridges. The internals have Robar NP3 coatings and a host of other upgrades. I'm currently looking into getting some custom exotic wood as the rifle deserves something special after all these years.

Next up is my Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1* made by Savage. I found this rifle at a local gun show all gooped up in Cosmoline. In the process of stripping that off, I stripped the color from the wood, so I had no choice but to refinish the wood. I steamed and sanded most of the dings out. The metal was perfect and looked new. Honestly, other than being tested by the factory I do not think this rifle was ever issued or fired. It was a good find. I did add an after-market ball trigger rather then grind on the original Savage parts.

Next up is my CZ 550 American Safari rifle modified to 375 H&H Ackley Improved. It has a trigger job, came with a premium pad, and we added a mercury tube within the buttstock. This made the rifle balance off the shoulder much better as it wasn't so muzzle heavy. The loads used were some 300 grain protected soft point bullets at around 2500-2600 fps and not my usual 350 grain boat tail Match King bullets. This rifle with its flip up leaf express sights is just sick on how flat shooting it is as you will see.

Not in the picture was my 454 Casull Taurus Raging Bull as gunsmithed by Jim Stroh.

This was our short range set-up from the road for pistols and small rifle.

This was our Extreme Range array. Follow the line of burnt trees from the lower right corner to the upper left corner. The big bald spot of dirt just upward left of dead center of the picture is approximately 800 yards in my estimation. It is not as far as the 1000 yard competition targets we have at FoBD (Friends of Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility but I prefer just simple FoBD) which I must shamelessly promote again as it is the best place in the whole world to shoot.

http://www.gunblast.com/AndyTuttle_FOBD.htm

So how did it go? Well first off, I have to say that since I have not shot for two years now as my interests changed to hot rodding Harley Davidson's, my skills have atrophied some. I have a new eye glass prescription and I am learning to live with it. The front sight is crystal clear, but the rear sight is blurry. I am wondering if I should modify the prescription some.

All rifles were shot from a camp chair using iron sights except for the CZ 550 which has to be shot from standing for obvious reasons. Now that I have some practice again, I need to shoot from standing as Jim and Mic taught me.

Old Thirty One Twenty was a joy to shoot using the various loads I was given. The first set of handloads which were paper patched but with smokeless powder seemed to work very well and shoot to the sights. The other ammunition did not shoot to the sights so well, I think they were hotter loads but without a chronograph I cannot say. I am fairly certain both loads were with Accurate 5744 as they filled a lot of case space and such loads are fairly common for the 43 Mauser when using smokeless powder but I cannot say without having taken the time to dissect them.

I was able to get on the first “rock array” pretty easily and hit dead center in the largest part of the rock formation. After that, I was able to fire at the much smaller rock in the lower right hand corner of that array. It made a good target. My friend Steve helped to call the hits with his binoculars if I could not see them, and I would make an adjustment to my sight picture, and then I could pass the rifle over to him with instructions and he could hit the same rock dead on. Old Thirty One Twenty is a surprisingly accurate rifle at long range but it doesn't even get warmed up with a 385 grain bullet until your shooting 200 meters. Below that, it shoots 14 inches high at 100 yards with that bullet.

So I was able to hit the rocks I wanted dead center, and so was my friend at an estimated distance of 350 yards.

I was able to do the same with my Puma shooting my “regular” 300 grain 454 Casull loads. I did not adjust the rear sights from previous. Neither one of us bought tools to do so. Duh! So it was all “Kentucky windage” but the little Puma with a 300 grain bullet at about 2000 fps could still do the job with its iron aperture rear and fiber optic front sight. I told Steve hold this sight picture with a little bit of space between the bottom of the target. That was all it took. He was also right on the money! This is still my “go too” rifle. It is light, handy and powerful. And Mic's modifications make it accurate with a decent hand load even with the stock barrel which in this case, was actually pretty good.

I was also able to hit the rock formation, including the smaller rock, with the Enfield. Its iron sights are pretty darn good and easily adjustable.

We moved to the round rock on the extreme right edge of the first picture. This was when I broke out the CZ rifle. The 300 meter leaf was shooting too high for that distance and bullet weight (keep in mind the rifle is set up for my 350 grain boat tail handload). I went back to the 200 meter leaf and was able to get on target pretty easily. Bottom of the edge of the rock, dead center of the formation. I passed the rifle over to my friend Steve after giving him a brief tutorial and letting him dry fire the rifle in standard and set trigger mode. He had never shot such a powerful rifle cartridge before but he hit the target just fine. The guy can shoot. And he was a helpful spotter for me. It was actually him that recommended I try to hit the big bald spot of dirt way the heck away at an estimated 800 yards. I think I hit the center of that batch of dirt within 4 shots maximum and I think maybe I did it in 3. Its truly not hard with this rifle. It is just so darn flat shooting!!!! It did tend to make me take a step back because of the recoil. I have to work on my stance I guess. What was interesting was that you could actually see with the naked eye the location of my hits as they left a gray spot and what must have been a big hole. Yes, even at that range. Not making that up. Must have been some grey rock under that sand. All in all, I was again very impressed with this rifle and cartridge. I tried to get the Mauser on target at that range and target, but we could not see where it was hitting, or else I was way off, but I don't think I was. I tried various settings and targets to see where it was hitting in the dirt, but couldn't detect them. Oh well.

Note to self, I need to replace my spotting scope.

All in all, the day was wonderful and I had a great time.

Oh yeah, I also fired the Taurus Raging Bull in 454. I was surprised at how easy this gun is to shoot. WAY easier then my 460 snubbie! (I know, duh! But the darn snubbie just balances so well in the hand!) I am really rusty now on my pistol shooting and I'm switching my stance from a Weaver to an aggressive Isosceles Triangle which seemed to work fine. Thanks Jerry M.! More dry firing practice is definitely needed. Again. Sigh.

As always, thank for listening.

Regards,

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: (Long) Range report!

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool range report on a variety of interesting firearms. I have a 454 Rossi (stock, not near as nice), a very-fired and 'sporterized' Enfield, and a Ruger 375 Hawkeye Alaskan, so it tempts me to emulate, if I could find the longer range around these parts safely. Speaking of that, how do you deal with potential ricochets shooting at hard surfaces at that kind of angle...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, we don't shoot if there is a car of any kind in the area. The usual BLM land shooting range was packed this morning. Too many guys with semi-auto's blasting away. All the tables were filled and it only got worse I'm sure as the day progressed. I didn't trust them to be able to call a "cold range" safely. This was further up the road and the traffic was minimal. The targets were well down into the valley with all of them pointed well down hill from our location. There was a lot of mountain "north" of the targets to absorb ricochets which we did not hear from our location. Everything that we heard went "thunk" and not "speero!" We are talking many miles of BLM land here. I don't think it created an unsafe condition myself but hopefully I am not wrong. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Now that looks like an awesome place to play with your shooters....
How long do you have to travel to get there?
Would love to be able to shoot long range...
Do guys get to hunt there as well?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good Tutt! I'm jealous! When are we gettin' together out in CO again! If I can get this mold I got from Mike V. working... It just might be the thing I need to reach out to those Indians! Oh yeah, and the new sights!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Glad you had a good time!!! Yeah, not shootin' for a while will serioiusly affect your expectations... er... reality!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Rihmfire, maybe 30 minutes to the peak at most at 3300 hundred feet. This BLM land fills a void between the valley of Ukiah and Lake County. It is many miles wide. It is used for camping, shooting, and off roading with dirt bikes and maybe some 4x4's. Mostly for dirt bikes I would say but in the southern region of the park miles away. The northern region is I think mostly known for its shooting range, but it has gotten very busy there at times, and it is not monitored by staff like at a shooting range, so we saw fit to head up the road further today and do our own thing. People sometimes bring beer and drink and shoot there. It just seemed safer for us. Yes, it is open to hunting too I believe but I really don't know much about that. -Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You want some dates Griff? I have got them for you!!!! :lol:

-A-

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's good to see you posting, Andy 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Blaine. I think I can get my car up there on my own if I have too, but the road is no longer maintained and it has some bad patches with deep ruts. I think if I bring a few pieces of wood or rock I can place them in the ruts in a worse case situation.

Its sort of a bummer with the new stronger prescription where everything is blurry up close and the very small rear notch on 3120 blurs black until it is almost invisible. Larger apertures that allow more light around them are still usable for me as they don't "blur shut". I'm toying with painting the rear v notch in some contrasting color to help me see it better but I'm not sure how much that would help either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated short of cutting on the ol' boy which I will never do.

Thanks guys,

-Tutt

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote:Thanks Blaine. I think I can get my car up there on my own if I have too, but the road is no longer maintained and it has some bad patches with deep ruts. I think if I bring a few pieces of wood or rock I can place them in the ruts in a worse case situation.

Its sort of a bummer with the new stronger prescription where everything is blurry up close and the very small rear notch on 3120 blurs black until it is almost invisible. Larger apertures that allow more light around them are still usable for me as they don't "blur shut". I'm toying with painting the rear v notch in some contrasting color to help me see it better but I'm not sure how much that would help either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated short of cutting on the ol' boy which I will never do.

Thanks guys,

-Tutt

:( Except for a couple or three smaller levers I have (39M, 1894 Marlin 44, old 94 Win) those Vs don't work for me anymore....I still get decent use from a large aperture and bright green/red front. I'm afraid I'll be using a scoped rifle to hunt from now on, tho :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good to hear from you CT. You sure like your thumpers!

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Griff, PM to Leverguns sent. -Tutt

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That CZ is a suprizingly easy rifle to shoot. I was very impressed with it when you let me shoot it at the L.A. range.

Glad to see you getting some trigger time :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jeremy, I would sure love to see you here. That initial "Leverguns Reunion" was biblical. Its not been replicated since. Sure would like too though! -A-

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well tell ya what you keep praticing with that mauser of yours and when I retire next year in july we will put somethnig together. Your German bpcr against my American one lol. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sounds good my friend but no BP here! Blue Dot and floral foam. Even the Blue Dot without the foam is very accurate.

I've been advised from Mic to find another factory rear sight, take mine off and save it, and modify the new one for a bigger notch. Looking into that.

-Tutt

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thats ok I will burn enough holy black for the both of us :lol: . How is the sight mounted?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

CowboyTutt wrote:Griff, PM to Leverguns sent. -Tutt
Got 'em!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Griff, glad you got the message. I would very much enjoy seeing you again soon!

Jeremy, the entire rear sight assembly with its 200 meter, flip up 300 hundred meter and "everything up to 1600 meters" sights is held on to the barrel with one screw. While I can make that work for a bit longer I probably need bigger notches in the rear sights now sorry to say.

Jeremy, please bring the youngster's, they will not be so young anymore, that is for sure, but I would love to see them again and show them an ancient rifle can still shoot well with the right load. Yours included in BP.

Thanks to the both of you guys!

-A-

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

They aren't so young one is in high school the other is in junior high lol.

we will have to do it at a warmer time of year. It was pretty cold last time.

Could you make another type of rear sight work instead of modifying a hard to find original. With only one screw it shouldn't be to difficult to make something work.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis