Flat metplat 45acp?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Flat metplat 45acp?

Post by Panzercat »

Does anybody make a (relatively) cheap flat metplat nose 45acp round? I always see expensive premium brands, like buffalo bore, but I was hoping for something a bit less pricey :)

Thanks!
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Flat metplat 45acp?

Post by AJMD429 »

A few years back I bought five hundred or so reloads using bullets like you describe from a local commercial reloader. They fed and shot well. I doubt they were high-end bullets, given the low cost of the reloads, but I have no idea what the bullets were. They might even have been 'plated' ones. If I come across any in my 'odds and ends' bin I'll check them out further.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I think you're going to have to reload to get cheap truncated cone .45 acp. I used to use one of the plated bullets, I dont recall the brand now. They fed just fine in mine and my son in laws gun, probably the most reliable round I ever used in a 1911.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I thyink Hornady used to make 230 gr TC fmj bullets. They can be had from cast bullet makers also. I dont know who loads or did load ammo with those bullets, Hornady may have in the past and still might.

Depends on what you want them for. I've shot 250-260 gr Keith/Lyman swc bullets in 45 auto. They worked fine in my gun. If I had to carry a 45 auto in the woods for some reason thats what I'd want. Not as useful as a revolver, but better than most loads in 45 auto.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Magtech & Doubletap ammo come to mind for 230 gr TC. Hornady & Federal make 185&200 gr TC. danny
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Malamute wrote:I thyink Hornady used to make 230 gr TC fmj bullets. They can be had from cast bullet makers also. I dont know who loads or did load ammo with those bullets, Hornady may have in the past and still might.

Depends on what you want them for. I've shot 250-260 gr Keith/Lyman swc bullets in 45 auto. They worked fine in my gun. If I had to carry a 45 auto in the woods for some reason thats what I'd want. Not as useful as a revolver, but better than most loads in 45 auto.
Hornady still makes the 230 gr FMJ FP. I had good luck with them on Javelina, Bobcat and Coyote.

Back around 2006 I got a six cavity mold for a copy of the 230 gr RCBS cowboy bullet minus the crimp groove. It has been flawless function wise in my old Springfield 1911. It has a large FP. I don't live where I can hunt out my back door anymore so to speak, so no experience on game but I bet it would be a peach.

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've used the Lee 250 RFN with good results.
NRA Life Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I shoot the Hornady truncated cone .45'swhen they are available. They are very accurate in my 1911's .
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Define "relatively cheap".

Berry Bullets -- lead copper plated -- might have what you need: www.berrysmfg.com/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, that Lee flatnose has always been a favorite of mine in .45 Colt.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I like the H&G 200 grain bullet, (SWC). Usually load it over 5.5 of 231 but your pistol may need to be slicked up to feed them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

These are the bullets I used. Pretty good price. Not sure what dies if any that you are using but the Lee carbide with post sizing die will produce perfectly functioning ammo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/105060 ... -flat-nose

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Ted, that Lee flatnose has always been a favorite of mine in .45 Colt.
That's what I originally bought it for, but soon found it makes a good thumper in the acp as well.
NRA Life Member
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

TedH wrote:
Bill in Oregon wrote:Ted, that Lee flatnose has always been a favorite of mine in .45 Colt.
That's what I originally bought it for, but soon found it makes a good thumper in the acp as well.
Yes. Flat MeSplat! I had a bunch of those that I loaded up really mild for my 45 colt -the loads were mild enough that I didn't get any bullet creep even without the crimp groove
----- Doug
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I used the Laser-cast 200gr RNFP in the 1911 fed great, Used with Clays powder, nice shooting ammo.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!