Homemade deer antler pipe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Homemade deer antler pipe

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Still snowing here in PA. so yesterday on my day off I made a simple pipe out of some deer antler.

The tricky part was drilling out the curved stem,drilled from one end as far as I could without going through the side then drilled through the other end and LUCKILY the to ends met up somewhere in the middle. :o

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Homemade deer antler pipe

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've given antlers to a fair number of folks to make pipes . But just about all of them I think didn't "smoke" pipe tobacco !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

What part of PA are you located ? I lived outside Scranton for awhile a few years back and hunted several years before that in the Poconos .
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

6pt-sika wrote:I've given antlers to a fair number of folks to make pipes . But just about all of them I think didn't "smoke" pipe tobacco !
that what i was thinking before i seen your post. :lol: :lol:
Nice pipe you made there... :D don't it smell like your getting a tooth drilled when you drill that stuff. :?

I'm near pittsburgh,were you at???i'm in Beaver county near the court house.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

6pt-sika wrote:What part of PA are you located ? I lived outside Scranton for awhile a few years back and hunted several years before that in the Poconos .
I'm in the southeast,but hunt central PA
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I've given antlers to a fair number of folks to make pipes . But just about all of them I think didn't "smoke" pipe tobacco !
that what i was thinking before i seen your post. :lol: :lol:
Nice pipe you made there... :D don't it smell like your getting a tooth drilled when you drill that stuff. :?

I'm near pittsburgh,were you at???i'm in Beaver county near the court house.

I'm in Berks,

OH....MY....GOD... it stank the whole basement up yesterday! I had to put a fan in the window, it's a nasty smell when you work with antlers,once your done with them the smell goes away.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

5 hrs away,297 miles away,ha I went to a military school in new bloomsfield thats close to you i think
JOHNNY WACKO
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now that is just plain COOL! 8)
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Does it taste peculiar? Bowl material doesn't actually burn, does it?

Don't lose or break it! I'd put that one in a case.

Nifty!
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

2571 wrote:Does it taste peculiar? Bowl doesn't actually burn, does it?

Don't lose or break it! I'd put that one in a case.

Nifty!
Bowl doesn't burn the inside of the antler,it's hard as a rock inside.
After I finished it I washed it in hot water and dish soap,no bad taste or smell at all.

You right...... I think it's gunna be for lookin at...BUT I had to give it a try.
Last edited by Mossyoak1957 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I'm a 3d generation corn cob pipe smoker (we're cheapskates). Didn't know until internet exited that those pipes are made from a special kind of corn, grown for making pipes.

Your pipe will be a good thing to hand down to a son or grandson.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

One of our members lives in a "weed" state, and could use a nice pipe like that. Can't remember, a tuba player I think 8)
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I always said smoke dope don't be 1. :roll:
JOHNNY WACKO
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

2571 wrote:I'm a 3d generation corn cob pipe smoker (we're cheapskates). Didn't know until internet exited that those pipes are made from a special kind of corn, grown for making pipes

Really nice work, Mossy and Amen to that 2571 comment about handing it down.

2571 - I'm also a pipe smoker, but haven't owned a "Missouri Meerschaum" in way too long. Think I remember the cobs used for pipes were special and grown for pipes, but had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me of the corn cob pipes. much appreciated. Believe I'll see if I can't find a new one, as mine was misplaced in one of my many moves.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

2571 wrote:I'm a 3d generation corn cob pipe smoker (we're cheapskates). Didn't know until internet exited that those pipes are made from a special kind of corn, grown for making pipes.

What do you use for the stem? I know the cob makes the bowl.
Do you smoke the corn silk too?
Steve
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

What blend are you smoking?
in the aromatics I favor Sutlift's Metropolitan and Mountain Pass.
In the non-aromatics I like MacBaren's Scottish blend and the Solent blend.
Voodoo Queen from Altatis is good too.

- Brian
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think we should start a pipe thread, showing off our favorites.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:I think we should start a pipe thread, showing off our favorites.
I'm kinda partial to copper pipe !

Greater return at the scrap yard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mossyoak1957 wrote: Bowel doesn't burn the inside of the antler,it's hard as a rock inside.
After I finished it I washed it in hot water and dish soap,no bad taste or smell at all.

You right...... I think it's gunna be for lookin at...BUT I had to give it a try.
octagon wrote:One of our members lives in a "weed" state, and could use a nice pipe like that. Can't remember, a tuba player I think 8)

Speaking of which....hurry up and fix that typo above before he sees it and we either have to suffer puns or listen to regularity stories.....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

vancelw wrote:
Mossyoak1957 wrote: Bowel doesn't burn the inside of the antler,it's hard as a rock inside.

octagon wrote:One of our members lives in a "weed" state, and could use a nice pipe like that. Can't remember, a tuba player I think 8)

Speaking of which....hurry up and fix that typo above before he sees it and we either have to suffer puns or listen to regularity stories.....
Fixed it!....lol
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

SteveR wrote:
2571 wrote: Your pipe will be a good thing to hand down to a son or grandson.
Steve
I buy the corncob pipes; never made one. I guess one could smoke corn silk -- Lewis & Clark talk about their crew hurrying to a cache because they had left some real tobacco. They must have been smoking alternatives. Both my dad & grandad smoked Half & Half because it was cheap. I don 't care for MacBaren's mentioned here because it is too damp. I use Prince Phillip. Yes, I asked & they still get that dumb Q at the store.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

vancelw wrote:

Yeah, weed hate for that to happen!...I'll pipe down now.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

2571 wrote:
SteveR wrote:
Steve
I buy the corncob pipes; never made one. I guess one could smoke corn silk -- Lewis & Clark talk about their crew hurrying to a cache because they had left some real tobacco. They must have been smoking alternatives. Both my dad & grandad smoked Half & Half because it was cheap. I don 't care for MacBaren's mentioned here because it is too damp. I use Prince Phillip. Yes, I asked & they still get that dumb Q at the store.
I might have to look for one to buy, when we were kids we used to make corncob pipes, but could never find anything for a good stem. We ended up using some sort of hollow bamboo like plants that grew in the swampy area.

Cornsilk is not very good.

Steve
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

2571 wrote: I use Prince Phillip. Yes, I asked & they still get that dumb Q at the store.

2571, by any chance did you mean to type "Prince Albert"?

I also like an old, traditional brand of tobacco. Tried a bunch, and I do mean a bunch of upscale (read expensive) fruit and/or spirit cased designer tobacconist type shop blends over more than 30 years. Decided nearly a decade ago that Carter Hall suits me just fine. Burns cool, pleasing aroma and very reasonably priced. I really do prefer the plain old school burley/virginia tobacco blends and Carter Hall delivers that for me.

Perhaps, another factor in my choice of Carter Hall is that it reminds me of the smoke my Daddy generated from his pipe, as I sat in his lap when I was just a little shaver.:D
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Stem Attachment

Post by BrianSH »

The antler pipe I purchased some 3 plus decades ago used a 1/4" dowel rod about a half inch long to attach the stem to the bowl. The dowel was drilled through and when the wood got punky, its easy enough to cut and drill a new piece. - Brian
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Yeah, my head was elsewhere.

If they have Prince Phillip in a can, they should let him out, too.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

2571 wrote:Yeah, my head was elsewhere.

If they have Prince Phillip in a can, they should let him out, too.
2571, you made me chuckle out loud on this beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

2571 wrote:
SteveR wrote:
Steve
I remember smoking corn silk as a kid. It tasted like stuff, but we felt like big shots smoking it.