Hammer SXS ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Hammer SXS ?

Post by TWHBC »

Having never handled or been around someone with a hammer SXS, I am curious about how one is handled?
When hunting upland game or waterfowl, when are the hammers cocked?
During the rise of the bird, or when a duck is sighted, or before ?
When turkey hunting is the hammer cocked when the bird is first sighted, or later?
Do you cock both hammers at the same time, the second only after the first has been fired?
I think this gives my questions, surenthere are other scenarios?
Thanks in advance!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hammer SXS ?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

All of the methods you mention are used by people. Each to his own.
The hammer doubles that CAS shooters are using go to the line open and empty but with the hammers cocked for most shooters. If your gun also has a tang safety,having the hammers cocked and safety on would be the same as with a hammerless double.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TWHBC wrote:Having never handled or been around someone with a hammer SXS, I am curious about how one is handled?
1. When hunting upland game or waterfowl, when are the hammers cocked?
2. During the rise of the bird, or when a duck is sighted, or before ?
3.When turkey hunting is the hammer cocked when the bird is first sighted, or later?
4.Do you cock both hammers at the same time, the second only after the first has been fired?
I think this gives my questions, surenthere are other scenarios?
Thanks in advance!
1. Hunting by yourself, you might have them cocked. I wouldn't hunting with someone I surely wouldn't. What if you trip or get hit by a branch and shoot yourself or a companion. A tang safety changes things a bit.
2. I always cocked the gun on the rise. Or with dogs, before the flush.
3. I wouldn't sit around with a cocked exposed hammer gun (sans safety) Either cock it before the bird gets too close to hear or cock and fire in one motion. Even the click of a tang safety will spook them if you let them get within hearing range
4. A gun in good repair will not drop the second hammer when the first is fired. If you think they will both drop when one is fired...get it fixed. Cocking one or both will depend on the situation and how much time you have,
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I hunt with hammers down and cock at the necessary moment. I also cock only one barrel at a time (right barrel first) because I am left handed. The triggers on a double gun are staggered and the rear trigger for the left barrel is to the left side of the gun. I used to cock both barrels at once, but after a couple times of inadvertently firing both barrels at once, I have learned that it is better to perhaps not get a second shot than to have two at once!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My hammer double has pretty stiff cocking hammers. when "on game" I will cock both hammers, I found it nearly impossible to get them cocked in cold weather, with gloves on fast enough to be effective. after a day in the woods I found the meaning of "don't go off half cocked." :) .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have also hunted with both hammers back, action broken open. On a rise or on an approaching shot , close action while mounting gun to the shoulder. Normally in dove field, I just cock both barrels on an approaching opportunity
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

rjohns94 wrote:I have also hinted with both hammers back, action broken open. On a rise or on an approaching shot , close action while mounting gun to the shoulder. Normally in dove field, I just cock both barrels on an approaching opportunity
Yeah, I have seen people hunting breach open like that. I thought that was the way to do it, especially with no safety.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

FatJackDurham wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:I have also hinted with both hammers back, action broken open. On a rise or on an approaching shot , close action while mounting gun to the shoulder. Normally in dove field, I just cock both barrels on an approaching opportunity
Yeah, I have seen people hunting breach open like that. I thought that was the way to do it, especially with no safety.
Personally I would never carry a shotgun broken open especially with hammers cocked, if I'm hunting on level ground and expecting a flush I carry with both hammers cocked, at other times I do not cock the hammers until I mount the gun.
I guess I follow shooting etiquette from muzzle loading times when all guns had hammers and were always loaded, except on firing.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Gamekeeper. Please explain. Why would you not carry a hammer gun broken at breech with hammers back? In my thoughts it is the safest way to carry a hammer gun at the ready. Anxious to learn.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

rjohns94 wrote:Gamekeeper. Please explain. Why would you not carry a hammer gun broken at breech with hammers back? In my thoughts it is the safest way to carry a hammer gun at the ready. Anxious to learn.
Two reasons, when I worked for Westley Richards I repaired a few old and worn hammer guns that would drop the cocked hammers on closing the action, the same thing can happen with a neglected old hammerless gun and I do not like the thought of having to change my underwear halfway through a hunt. :wink:
The other reason is the top gunsmith there told me that a SxS was never designed to be carried open as it could cause more wear and tear on the hinge pin than carrying it closed. Now about this time (the sixties) it was becoming popular to carry a shotgun open to demonstrate that it was unloaded, not a bad idea with so many newbies taking up the sport, however us old timers new that our guns were unloaded because that is the way we were taught.
Another line of thought suggested opening a cocked hammergun before lowering the hammers but not all top levers would open the action if the cocked right hand hammer stopped the full travel of the lever.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When I hunted with a SxS I carried it loaded, but not cocked. If my dog got birdy, I'd cock both hammers and slowly approach until they flushed. It's really not feasible to carry them unloaded, or carry them uncocked or cocked. It's just not possible to cock, shoulder, and aim at a fleeing bird, and expect to down many. Once you've hunted much with exposed hammer SxS you'll get used to guesstimating when it's time to get it ready, and cock it.
I do the same with double rifles when hunting. Carry them loaded, but hammers not cocked. Only difference is I only cock one hammer on a double rifle for game, and cock the second hammer if another shot is needed. My Gye & Moncrieff exposed hammer double has safeties, but they only go on in half cock, so they're really worthless in my opinion. Having the hammers at half cock and safety on, requires slipping the safety off, and then pulling them to full cock. Just not feasible if time is of the essence.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have hunted deer with a side by side muzzeloading hammer gun, a lot. I would just cock one hammer if in a hurry, but ease both hammers back if I saw the opportunity coming in time.

In the old days, some people would carry the break action hammer shotguns with both hammers cocked. This of course was pretty dangerous by modern standards, which is one reason the hammerless side by side took over when it finally become common. I have found it nearly impossible to cock both hammers at once on most side by sides, with the exception being a few cowboy competition guns that had been tuned. Now, some of those boys are quite fast, and will cock the hammers with the heel of the off hand, but once again the gun is a tuned race gun, not the average generic side by side hammer gun.

Personally, I will save the hammer shotguns for range shooting, and choose to hunt pheasant, etc with a hammerless.
NRA Life Member, Patron