Another 94 Winchester Found a New Home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Another 94 Winchester Found a New Home

Post by Alan in Vermont »

This one now belongs to my wife, Linda. Engineered an "in house" swap for the 94 we already have which is going to be the subject of a JES rebore/rechamber to 35/30-30. Before she would relinquish that one we had to find one to replace it. She said it would have to shoot as good as "hers" and I wanted one that looked nicer.

We both got what we wanted. IIRC, this one dates to 1981-82, finish is 98% or better, hardly looks shot at all. We've only played with it on the 50' indoor range, outdoor ranges were mud pits/skating rinks when she picked it up on Friday. But the early tests sure are looking promising, 5.0 B'eye behind an NOE 311008 was cutting ragged hole groups.

It came with a Lyman 66 rear sight, which has some "issues" and sling swivel bases installed for $400 plus tax. Hard to beat the price for a gun in this condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another 94 Winchester Found a New Home

Post by Pete44ru »

VERY nice ! !

You got yerself a bargain there, Alan !

My .30-30 Trapper had a steel Lyman receiver sight on it when I stumbled across it - although I have other rifles, it's pretty much my go-to for deer hunting.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice to have wife who is picky about her rifle! She sounds like a keeper.. :wink:
Congratulations on the nice Winchester too.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Personally I'd love to find a 1980 or so vintage 94 carbine in 30-30. I'd even trade my 1950 for it.

You got a good one there. Bet it shoots as good as it looks.

Since I don't switch loads too much my 1980 Trapper 30-30 wears a Williams FP sight. It's been there since 81 or so and makes for a perfect set up in my not so humble opinion.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Personally I'd love to find a 1980 or so vintage 94 carbine in 30-30. I'd even trade my 1950 for it.

Since I don't switch loads too much my 1980 Trapper 30-30 wears a Williams FP sight. It's been there since 81 or so and makes for a perfect set up in my not so humble opinion.

Joe
I don't suppose a 1979 would do?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:
J Miller wrote:Personally I'd love to find a 1980 or so vintage 94 carbine in 30-30. I'd even trade my 1950 for it.

Joe
Griff,

Does the 79s have the same upgraded pseudo blue as the 80s do?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:
Griff wrote:

Joe
Griff,

Does the 79s have the same upgraded pseudo blue as the 80s do?

Joe
Yeah, it was in the mid-70s that Winchester went to the iron clad receiver... still not a rust blue... but not the "black" like the earlier ones.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice looking find
It is not the critic who counts
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Personally I'd love to find a 1980 or so vintage 94 carbine in 30-30. I'd even trade my 1950 for it.
Really? I'm not a Win Guru, so what's the reasoning on that one? (I do have a early 80s 94 AE Big Bore in .375 that is really pretty....a keeper for sure)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, all the BigBore94's had a highly-polished & blued forged steel receiver, unlike standard post-64 (1964-82) Model 94's.

IMO, Winchester must have wanted a stonger & bulged receiver for the BigBore94's.

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I also have a 35/30-30 but it's chambered in a Marlin 336. I had JES rebored it last year but shot it only a couple times. This year I plan on doing some load testing with a new bullet mold I got from NOE. Can't wait to try it!

Mainehunter :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, between Griff's post, my responses and now, my computer crashed and burned, I lost my cell phone with all my numbers in it. ( We think it might have been knocked into the trash can under the computer table by one of the felines that cohabit this place.) And I forgot the thread. Just remembered this thread.

Griff, PM me for my email addy we'll discuss the 94s.

Joe
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Pete44ru wrote:.

AFAIK, all the BigBore94's had a highly-polished & blued forged steel receiver, unlike standard post-64 (1964-82) Model 94's.

IMO, Winchester must have wanted a stonger & bulged receiver for the BigBore94's.

Yeah, The Big Bores{pre safety/pre rebounding trigger} were finely crafted 94's. On par with the pre 64's, perhaps better, and they were designed to handle the .375, 307, and 356 rounds, loaded to a higher pressure than standard 30-30 94's.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Well, between Griff's post, my responses and now, my computer crashed and burned, I lost my cell phone with all my numbers in it. ( We think it might have been knocked into the trash can under the computer table by one of the felines that cohabit this place.) And I forgot the thread. Just remembered this thread.

Griff, PM me for my email addy we'll discuss the 94s.

Joe
Email enroute. Man, if Id've read this before leaving the house, I'd have brought mine with me... might be headed to the Windy City this weekend... waitin' on a phone call back... hate havin' to SIT in Seattle til Friday to leave, but... man, freight dried up out here over the past two weeks... danged stevedores.... :P :P :twisted: :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote:Nice to have wife who is picky about her rifle! She sounds like a keeper.. :wink:
Congratulations on the nice Winchester too.
+1 on both counts! :mrgreen:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice 94!!
A guy & his wife just cant have too many of them!

ollogger
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Let us know how the conversion turns out. This is something I am interested in.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:
Really? I'm not a Win Guru, so what's the reasoning on that one? (I do have a early 80s 94 AE Big Bore in .375 that is really pretty....a keeper for sure)
Blaine,

Well, as much as I like the pre-64s this one needs a new barrel, it's got a nasty habit of splitting cases. I have several threads on here about it somewhere.

Also, I like (prefer) side mounted receiver sights and this one is not D&T'd for them.

So although I have a replacement barrel, and the sights, I just don't feel like paying money to have this one worked over. Actually I don't have the money to pay. Nor do I have the equipment to do the work myself. So, to my way of thinking, a trade for a later model would solve the problem.
I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter so keeping something I can't use is kinda silly.

Joe