Marines Allow Operators to Choose Glocks over MARSOC .45s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Marines Allow Operators to Choose Glocks over MARSOC .45s

Post by 1894c »

I found this to be interesting, especially since the USMC just bought a bunch of new Colt 1911's -- I have my Gen4 Glock 19...I'm good to go...uurrraahhhhhhh....see link below... :)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/19/ma ... arsoc-45s/
glock19gen4a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marines Allow Operators to Choose Glocks over MARSOC .45

Post by wecsoger »

AAAAAHHHH!!!

(here we go again...)

(grin)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing you should mention that....my best friend, "The Gunny" has two sons in MARSOC......and the one boy says "there ain't nothing like a 1911 .45".

I'm not sure about such things as I'm a nobody in the military world......but......I have "heard" those guys use whatever suits their fancy.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:Funny thing you should mention that....my best friend, "The Gunny" has two sons in MARSOC......and the one boy says "there ain't nothing like a 1911 .45".

I'm not sure about such things as I'm a nobody in the military world......but......I have "heard" those guys use whatever suits their fancy.------6
that is true...personal weapon choice is the norm.... :)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Seems like we hashed out this thing not that long ago regarding handgun platform and caliber. Let the boys have some solid choices for what works best for them as individuals and arm them to the teeth.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Done! Rehash of Marines prefer Glock 9mm over .45acp 1911, at least your title fits what I read in the article.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Griff!!! 8) -T-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

A lot of professional shooters who run custom 1911s will disable that beavertail grip safety to avoid this problem....
Uhhh....not that I'm a professional shooter (far from it) but I've sure never heard of this. Is this accurate???
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Pinning grip safeties has been semi-common since the 70's that I recall. I dont think its done as often today, but some obviously still do it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Malamute wrote:Pinning grip safeties has been semi-common since the 70's that I recall. I dont think its done as often today, but some obviously still do
it.
Scares the rabbit people spitless and is meat on the table for the bottom dwellers (lawyers)!
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

Malamute wrote:Pinning grip safeties has been semi-common since the 70's that I recall. I dont think its done as often today, but some obviously still do it.
I just don't see how you could grasp a 1911 and not engage the grip safety. Maybe just not using enough grip or non-average sized hands or something I guess.....?
I'll sure not be messing with mine. It works just fine, just as JMB intended...
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I have an old 45 before they put the grip safety on it. It has a crisper trigger pull and I am more accurate with it than a custom job with it.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Pinning grip safeties is a lot older than the 70s......a Texas Ranger tied his down with rawhide straps in the early 20s and was known for it.

Cooper discussed pinning grip safeties from the 60s onward, before the memory bump types were around.

If you've got small hands, or your hands are wet, or you've got gloves on (which are wet).....lots of ways you might not fully depress the grip. Or your hand is weak because you just crawled up a ladder boarding a ship underway etc.

I love 1911s.....I carry Glocks.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

MrMurphy wrote:I love 1911s.....I carry Glocks.
that's a great statement...I started my "auto-pistol" life with a stainless Colt 80-series 1911, that was one great gun. But when I was introduced to Glocks through my LE Agency I never looked back... :)
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Gascozark wrote: I'll sure not be messing with mine. It works just fine, just as JMB intended...
That's funny!

Check out JMB's original design and the pistols originally submitted.

The Cavalry was the primary combat users of pistols in those days, and had some ideas of their own. Changes were requested . . .
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

1892 wrote:
that's a great statement...I started my "auto-pistol" life with a stainless Colt 80-series 1911, that was one great gun. But when I was introduced to Glocks through my LE Agency I never looked back... :)
This reminds me of a guy I know on a SWAT team. He said when he first got hired, he read all the gun magazines and bought a very expensive 1911. He was quite proud of it, an didn't think much of the officers who carried Glocks.

Then his career progressed and eventually he was selected for SWAT. Most of the stuff he did on SWAT calls involved laying in the mud. Or else he would be laying in the snow. But sometimes he would lay in the dirt. That fancy 1911 took a lot of time in disassembly and cleaning. He started to notice that the officers who carried Glocks instead of the flashiest new gun magazine rage or expensive 1911s were the older, more experienced officers. Then he was shooting at a target behind a car door, and his .45 ACP was not penetrating the door while the officer shooting next to him was hitting the target with his 9mm Glock.

He bought a Glock.

I like 1911s a lot. I don't really care for Glocks, as far as the pistol itself. In other words, I don't see a Glock and say, "Wow, what a beautiful weapon! I just love the way that pistol feels in my hand! I'd like to hang that thing on my wall for everyone to look at! I can't wait to show this thing to all my buddies! Think of the history behind this design!"

If I pick up a Glock, i'm like, "Oh, yeah. Another Glock, so what. I can shoot it well and most likely trust it to run reliably. I'd take this gun to combat."

If the 1911 is a Corvette, the Glock is the plain, unremarkable family station wagon that starts every time you turn the key and always gets the family to their destination.

And if one of the kids drops his ice cream cone on the station wagon seat, oh well.

Some like 1911s, some like Glocks, I am happy to shoot both, but I strongly believe that it is very important to use the pistol that best fits your needs AND preferences.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

7.62 Precision wrote:
1892 wrote:
If the 1911 is a Corvette, the Glock is the plain, unremarkable family station wagon that starts every time you turn the key and always gets the family to their destination.
Phew... I'm so glad you used a "station wagon" as your analogy... if you'd said "pickup truck"... I might have to had to seriously re-evaluate my whole outlook on the 1911/Glock conversation...

:P :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!