sorely tempted by a couple of classics today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

sorely tempted by a couple of classics today

Post by Streetstar »

Went to Cabelas to browse (In Wichita KS --- i was in town for business and my hotel parking lot butts up to theirs ) --- i am normally pretty safe in there until i get to the Gun Gallery --

They had a Model 71 for 2k and an 1895 carbine simply marked .30 for 1500 ------ the 71 was in awesome shape with the exception of a character mark on one side of the stock -
I couldnt tell if the '95 was an original or a re-finish and the guy there honestly couldnt tell if it was an '06 or a 30-40 --- but a good shape original for not much more than a Miroku modern version was tempting

I will be down there again first of next week and will get pics of both for Six to pick apart :lol: :lol: I am just about out of "fun money" but if either of these is worthy, layaway sounds like a fine option

I have been wanting an 1895 carbine for years, but really wanted an '06 --- i've passed on the Miroku's many times , ----- but my 30-40 shield may be falling -- seemed like a good gun , even if in a slightly wrong for me caliber , ---
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: sorely tempted by a couple of classics today

Post by Blaine »

All I can say is that I'm lucky that M71s are too expensive for my budget, or I'd have several :lol: :lol: I keep threatening to sell most of the average arms I have, and get three or four really dandy shooters that I can coon finger when I'm too old to do much of anything else....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:All I can say is that I'm lucky that M71s are too expensive for my budget, or I'd have several :lol: :lol: I keep threatening to sell most of the average arms I have, and get three or four really dandy shooters that I can coon finger when I'm too old to do much of anything else....
thought the same thing...older leverguns are coool....would love to have a Winchester 1892 in 38/40... :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, a Model 1895 with a ".30" caliber designation will be a .30-40, made/marked before the .30-03/.30-06 was developed.

If a true .30-40 M-1895 Carbine (model), IMHO $1500 is a 50%-off steal.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:All I can say is that I'm lucky that M71s are too expensive for my budget, or I'd have several :lol: :lol: I keep threatening to sell most of the average arms I have, and get three or four really dandy shooters that I can coon finger when I'm too old to do much of anything else....
Yep. Been kinda heading there too...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:I keep threatening to sell most of the average arms I have, and get three or four really dandy shooters that I can coon finger when I'm too old to do much of anything else....
That is kind of the program i am on --- I had a bad habit of buying guns here and there just because they were "good deals" - or trading into things i have little use for -- heck, i bought a little MArlin 336 Youth model last year with intents to make a Scout style carbine out of it, and it remains unfired -- there are a few more that are unfired , but that one sticks out as it seems like a neat little gun

I have since lliquidated a bunch --- i didnt need 10 mid priced bolt action hunting rifles when i dont hunt anymore, -- same with a few .22's i had accumulated, as well as some shotguns - etc etc ---
strangest thing was i got rid of 3 Colt Pythons, and i thought i'd be buried with those ----

Oddly enough though, it felt liberating to get my money back on some of this stuff and put it towards other things , ---- even the Pythons, - the first time i shot a real Colt SAA, i forgot all about 'em :lol: . I got tired of merely "owning things" and wanted to get back to the shooting basics

And as i mentioned, even though i dont hunt anymore , i would still love to shoot a '71 or a '95 ---- and you never know, - the itch to hunt may come back again someday
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Five years ago I'd have made you an offer on that little Marlin 336 Youth....Put a 1" pad on her, and voila, a shorty truck gun.... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Streetstar wrote: That is kind of the program i am on --- I had a bad habit of buying guns here and there just because they were "good deals" - or trading into things i have little use for --
That sounds familiar. I too have several I never shoot anymore, just taking up room in my safe. I have really loved every rifle, pistol, shotgun I ever owned. Yet I can't recount how many or what I've sold, traded away or given to my son over the last 4.5 decades. That son, never hunts, recreation shoots or anything with the guns he has, except occasionally when I visit. Have to face the fact he's just not a gun guy! So it makes sense for me to not burden him with any of my collection when I pass from this "mortal coil".

Looking to choose several next week and get ready to take them to the Wanenmacher show in Tulsa April 11. Have had good luck there selling a few in past years just walking through the show carrying something I want to pass on to someone else. Hope to do the same this year. Also will be looking for a Remington 1100 Lt20 barrel with screw in chokes. Traded into one about 18 mos. ago with fixed skeet barrel. Want something a little more versatile to stick in that 1100 receiver.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

.30-40 Krag is a great cartridge - don't sell it short. Of course, so is the '06. With the .30-40 Krag, you don't have to worry so much about the action being battered, though.

I don't worry about old age anymore. When I started having kids I started to think less about having the collection that i wanted and more about getting what would otherwise be unobtainable for them by the time they are grown.

I think of the RACKS of gorgeous original 1895 winchesters I used to see at gun shows in TN for $600; This gun shop in Upstate NY that used to be filled with 94 and 92 Winchesters, lots of Eastern Carbines, averaging $150 to $200 before the guy realized what he could get for them online; Swedish Mausers for $49; Model 71's for $400 . . .

When my kids are grown, how much will this stuff cost then? Might as well get them set up now.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I keep threatening to sell most of the average arms I have, and get three or four really dandy shooters that I can coon finger when I'm too old to do much of anything else....
but... but... if you're coon-fingering guns when you're too old to do anything else... they'll take your guns and throw you in the loony bin! :twisted: :twisted: Keep your average guns and enjoy the snot outta them while you can still get away with it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!