A Day at the Range with 35 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

A Day at the Range with 35 Remington

Post by t.r. »

I shot my Marlin a few times to check zero for an upcoming wild hog hunt. It's shooting a little high at 100 yards because the scope is zero'd for 150 yards. I shot plain but effective Remington core-lokt ammo featuring 200 grain soft tip bullet.

The red target was made by tracing around an ordinary can of beans.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Day at the Range with 35 Remington

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Hopefully you will get some Pork to go with those Beans!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Good luck! I might have borrow that target idea but upsize it to a paper plate just so I can see it at 100yds.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Do you have any cast loads?

Steve
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, when I practice prior to a hunt, I set out plain brown cardboard ovals (cut from grocery store empty boxes and stapled to wooden stakes), that are about the size of a deer/hog's vitals (10"H x 12"L).

I place 3-4 at random distances (25-125yds), then take shots as quickly as I can, starting with the rifle at waist/carrying level, then quickly raise the gun & take the shot.

YMMV, but for me, this method gives me a better idea of my effectiveness - which (hopefully) will carry through to the actual hunt.

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is looking good! The 35 is a hammer.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

TR,
You and I are not too far apart. I'm just east of you by about 40 miles. Where do you shoot? I shoot at the Atglen Gunclub, probably just a few miles from you. I'll be up there all day Monday.

Anyway, on to your 35. Like Steve says, you need to play with the cast bullets. Shoot all day for pennies.

Oh! The beans.....get some good gas from them? :D ------6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I shoot at Cocalico Sportsman's Club in the northern end of the county.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Pete44ru wrote:.

FWIW, when I practice prior to a hunt, I set out plain brown cardboard ovals (cut from grocery store empty boxes and stapled to wooden stakes), that are about the size of a deer/hog's vitals (10"H x 12"L).

I place 3-4 at random distances (25-125yds), then take shots as quickly as I can, starting with the rifle at waist/carrying level, then quickly raise the gun & take the shot.

YMMV, but for me, this method gives me a better idea of my effectiveness - which (hopefully) will carry through to the actual hunt.

I like it....makes sense.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Sixgun wrote:TR,
You and I are not too far apart. I'm just east of you by about 40 miles. Where do you shoot? I shoot at the Atglen Gunclub, probably just a few miles from you. I'll be up there all day Monday.

Anyway, on to your 35. Like Steve says, you need to play with the cast bullets. Shoot all day for pennies.

Oh! The beans.....get some good gas from them? :D ------6

6, which do you like better the 200 gain or 220 grain? I will have to look for some NEI molds for the 35 cal.

Steve
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You really are close to me then. I live on the south western edge of Berks county. I have a RCB mold for the 35 which works very good in my marlins. If you want some to try just let me know we can meet up and I'll hand you a bunch. Good to know another levergunner in the area. Mossyoak 1957 lives just up the road too.

My in laws live in Ephrata.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Steve,
The NEI mould I use is the 161B. It's listed at 200 grains but even with my "kinda hard" alloy, they come out at 210......another 6 grains or so with the gas check and the lube. My alloy is wheelweights and 4% tin...water quenched.

The bullets pictured are a 210 grain on the left and the Lyman 250 grain on the right.

The longer bullet from the old Lyman 250 grain designed for the 35 Winchester is a smoker at extreme ranges, like 400-500 meters. But, it kicks more and my mould is only a single cavity where the NEI mould is a 4 banger.

If you need to try some drop me a PM and I'll be glad to size and lube a few for ya....I size at .360.......centers the bullet up better in the bore as regular production Marlins have sloppy tolerances, well, not sloppy, but "hunting tolerance level" :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD