2X72 grinder finaly finished. Photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

2X72 grinder finaly finished. Photos

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have been working on this thing for a month between other chores. It needed a couple minor adjustments as all new machines do,it seems. I still need to find a stronger spring to tension the belt. I may just use two. It grinds good and will speed up my knife making hobby a lot. Here are a couple photos of it.
The 60 grit belt that is on it cuts fast and will grind 1/4" off the end of a 1/8" x 1" knife blank in about 3 seconds. I have not tried the 36 grit Ceramic belt yet but that one will really go to town on some steel for quick roughing out. I will be playing with it more tomorrow.
I have been also working on a folder. Folding knifes are fun builds and the mechanics of making them work properly can be a brain twister.More pictures of that later but here is one of the blade and back spring roughed out and in a jig to be able to measure the rise and fall of the back spring.
The pieces of brass/bronze in the picture was salvaged from a WW2 Victory ship that was built in Vaccouver WA 10 miles from here and returned after the war and scrapped. It will be made into the bolsters and a piece of Elk antler will make up the handle scales along with brass liners. This knife will be a gift for my 91 year old dad who served in the Navy in the North Atlantic.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 2X72 grinder finaly finished. Photos

Post by Grizz »

Kudos on a genuine work of art.

did you have plans or did you design the parts?

And the folder is great too.

Grizz
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Lots to be proud of there! Fine work and thanks for the post. Like to see the knife when it's done!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like the background shop pics ! -- a clean purposeful space -- The things you need in a clean and organized fashion, but without any fluff or guff --- super cool 8)
----- Doug
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Grizz, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos of grinders others have made and swiped some of the good ideas and ignored the bad. Then I drew it out in full scale to come up with a design that could be made as clean and simple as possible using available materials.function is very important in something like this so I wanted to be sure it would work for me before I got money into it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Impressive!.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Beautiful Sander!

My belt sander is easily the most used tool in my shop. Couldn't get along without it. And a nice dust collection system keeps everything nice and clean....

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow. . . how many horsepower is that motor. . . ? It looks like at least 1 hp judging by the size - I didn't realize a grinder of that type would need that much muscle driving it.

Looks like an excellent project and very well made. Should be fun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

AJMD429 , I used a 1 1/2 horse. The commercially built one I was using as a mentor piece can be had with 2 hp.
If I had three phase power in my shop, I would have used a 2 hp. And set up with variable speed control,hooked the motor up direct and did away with the pulleys and belts. That would have simplified the build considerably.