What is it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hook1948
Levergunner

What is it?

Post by Hook1948 »

Actually, I know what it is....a primer/deprimer tool. What I need is more info about it.

It was in a box of assorted reloading stuff that had apparently been stored for awhile. Some of the stuff had to be thrown away because of rust and/or other deterioration. There are no markings to be found on this tool. Quite a bit if the items were 45-70 oriented and this tool seems to be especially for 45 caliber rifle. The depriming stud is perfectly sized to fit in a 45-70 case and deprime it. There is an RCBS Shellholder #14 (for 45-70, among others) in the tool.

Any/all info that y'all can share about it would be appreciated. I have tried to figure out how to swap shellholders in it without any success, but have not tried to force anything. Ideas on how to do that?

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is it?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hook, welcome to the forum. I have seen pictures of that tool before but have never seen one personally.
Someone here will inform us beginners on it's history I am sure.
Hook1948
Levergunner

Post by Hook1948 »

Thanks Chuck....I've been a member for a long time, mostly just lurking though. Had to reregister not long ago.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

That is a Pope style re-decapper, as seen on page 35 of the book "Early Loading Tools and Bullet Molds" by R.H. Chamberlain. A very similar tool can still be purchased at Buffalo Arms Co.:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Primer_Decap ... x?CAT=4013

They are popular among the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette shooting crowd.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

I suspect that your shell holder is rusted in- hit it with some penetrating oil of some kind and let it set a day or two.Crack it a time or two with a piece of wood to loosen it then make sure the priming punch is withdrawn from the shell holder- should come out if it is like the ones I have seen.
Hook1948
Levergunner

Post by Hook1948 »

Thank you all for the responses. This was just the info I needed.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

welcome...this forum is great... :)