Why do I shoot the 38-40?...CLEAN!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Why do I shoot the 38-40?...CLEAN!

Post by rbertalotto »

Today I decided to take my 1866 Uberti apart and give it a cleaning for this weekends upcomming Tri-State at Harvard Sportsman's Club in Harvard, Massachusetts.

I like shooting guns, I like working on guns, I like fondling guns.....I'm not a big fan on cleaning guns.

I did the mathe. This 1866 in 38-40 (38WCF) has fired just a bit under 500 rounds since its last cleaning. I've run a brush and patch down the barrel after every 100 rounds or so, but I've not taken it apart, except to short stroke it, since I started shooting it in CAS last year.

I was simply amazed at how clean it was inside!

Other than a bit of dirty oil there was zero powder residue. No thick crud what so ever! I could have simply put it back together and gone another 500 rounds!

I was shooting a few rifles in 45 long colt when I first started CAS. But the blowback from these extremely low pressure loadings we shoot left a terrible mess in the guns = more cleaning!

The 38-40 and its big sister the 44-40 use extremely thin brass in the neck and even at super low pressures they seal the chamber and I never have as much as a smudge on the cases after firing.

Best advise I could ever give someone starting out in this sport....44-40 or 38-40 in everything!

BTW, you can read about the "Short Stroking" on my web site... http://www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why do I shoot the 38-40?...CLEAN!

Post by M. M. Wright »

Same experience I've had with ffg filling the case. Well, I use an overpowder wad that cuts the powder charge a little bit.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS