UCO Candle Lanterns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

UCO Candle Lanterns...

Post by cshold »

Any of y'all use or keep one of these in your emergency bag?

http://ucogear.com/candle-lanterns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: UCO Candle Lanterns...

Post by PaperPatch »

Those have been on my "gotta get" list.
:wink:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've carried one or two in my pack, tent bag, and glovebox. I can highly recommend them. They obviously put out heat from the top but a string keeps them away from tent fabric.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Canuck Bob wrote:I've carried one or two in my pack, tent bag, and glovebox. I can highly recommend them. They obviously put out heat from the top but a string keeps them away from tent fabric.
Thanks Bob,
Do you use the beeswax candles, are they worth the extra $?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I bought GKJnr. one, he is pleased with it when on camping trips.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

those are great to own...used them or something similar for years...
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Ive' used them quite a bit.

Also used to work for REI, and sold a ton of them. For their size and cost, not much else beats them for putting out long term light that doesn't take batteries.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I used something similar for lighting on my 30' sailboat. It would burn a long time and not too much smoke/smell like kerosene or oil. Used when no shore power was available and didn't drain the batteries...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Great little lanterns! :D I have several with the optional reflectors and shades for emergency lighting. I bought my first one from LL Bean in the early 80's and used it extensively camping. Safe and easy to use and keeping one burning in a tent all night circulates the air and seems to keep it warmer. I like the fact they are easy to pack and the candles (I use the regular ones not beeswax) seem to last forever. I will say the one I bought from Beans is of much better construction than the current one but they work well too. I used to do a lot of reenacting and rendezvous where these couldn't be used except in the tent where they weren't visible and they are superior to all types of traditional candle lanterns. They require only minimal cleaning and maintenance. There are lots of accessories and repair parts available. Now that I have been reminded I may have to pick up a few more to set out on the patio when we have a bonfire at night. They would be an excellent choice to add to your survival/hunting kit. Would be great on a boat or canoe at night also. No, I don't own stock or get a commission. :lol:

http://ucogear.com/candle-lanterns/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Been using 1 for at least; since '91 or so
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hawkeye2 wrote:Great little lanterns! :D I have several with the optional reflectors and shades for emergency lighting. I bought my first one from LL Bean in the early 80's and used it extensively camping. Safe and easy to use and keeping one burning in a tent all night circulates the air and seems to keep it warmer. I like the fact they are easy to pack and the candles (I use the regular ones not beeswax) seem to last forever. I will say the one I bought from Beans is of much better construction than the current one but they work well too. I used to do a lot of reenacting and rendezvous where these couldn't be used except in the tent where they weren't visible and they are superior to all types of traditional candle lanterns. They require only minimal cleaning and maintenance. There are lots of accessories and repair parts available. Now that I have been reminded I may have to pick up a few more to set out on the patio when we have a bonfire at night. They would be an excellent choice to add to your survival/hunting kit. Would be great on a boat or canoe at night also. No, I don't own stock or get a commission. :lol:

http://ucogear.com/candle-lanterns/
Hawkeye2,
"I will say the one I bought from Beans is of much better construction than the current one but they work well too."
In your opinion what's the difference between the vintage one you have and the current production?
What's the difference between the REI and the UCO labeled lamps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

casastahle wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:I've carried one or two in my pack, tent bag, and glovebox. I can highly recommend them. They obviously put out heat from the top but a string keeps them away from tent fabric.
Thanks Bob,
I found a bunch of candles made for those little table warmers dirt cheap by the bag. Always wondered about beeswax in bear country so never used them. These lanterns are sturdy low tech devices and can't see premium candles adding anything.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Used them backpacking when I was young and highly recommend them.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

casastahle wrote:Any of y'all use or keep one of these in your emergency bag?

http://ucogear.com/candle-lanterns

Yep, I got two of them when I lived in hurricane country. Sure were handy during a 10 & 1/2 day blackout. :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Canuck Bob wrote:
casastahle wrote:
Thanks Bob,
I found a bunch of candles made for those little table warmers dirt cheap by the bag. Always wondered about beeswax in bear country so never used them. These lanterns are sturdy low tech devices and can't see premium candles adding anything.

The premium candles last longer & don't drip. I think they're well worth it. :!:
Merle from PA
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Merle wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:
casastahle wrote:
Thanks Bob,

The premium candles last longer & don't drip. I think they're well worth it. :!:
I'll have to try them!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Been using them since 1998. Mostly on my boats but have used them camping and at the cottage also. Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Candle lanterns seem to fit right in with leverguns.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've had one since 95 or so, I have the reflector shield and the neoprene case. They are ok. One thing I recall is being hot to handle sometimes. I think I bought a huge supply of the candles at the time and still have them.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks all for the help. :)
As ya'll know, I'm a big fan of vintage everything. 8)
Well I was able to locate this slightly used L.L. Bean branded model. (ebay)
It was only $4.00 more than a new UCO I was about to pull the trigger on.
I really like the flip top on this one.
I also ordered a box of 3 Beeswax & 3 Citronella candles for it.