Security Cameras and Video Surveillance Systems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Security Cameras and Video Surveillance Systems

Post by SteveR »

Does anybody here have a system? Any pro and cons about the different ones out there? I am looking into getting a system. I have an house alarm that I monitor with my cell phone, but that just means something made the alarm go off. I would really like to have something concrete to bring the the authorities if something did go bad.
Plus my 2 dogs and weird schedule helps keep them of balance.

Steve
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Security Cameras and Video Surveillance Systems

Post by crs »

Do a lot of due diligence before buying.
My son has a "smart house" which includes mobile phone and laptop access to all the several camera in and on his house and remote control of the house HVAC thermostat. There are a lot of options available and you should be able to find just what you want.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I don't know how good they are but Harbor Freight sells some for about $300. They have night vision capabilities and you can access from your smart phone. Here's a link. They have a few models.
http://www.harborfreight.com/household/ ... 68332.html
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'wireless' stuff we have tried claims to have ranges of anywhere from 900 to 1200 feet, but is unreliable even 200-300 feet away. Probably nearby powerlines. I'd consider hardwired systems for at least part of the setup.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

crs wrote:Do a lot of due diligence before buying.
My son has a "smart house" which includes mobile phone and laptop access to all the several camera in and on his house and remote control of the house HVAC thermostat. There are a lot of options available and you should be able to find just what you want.
This and consider all internet systems are hack-able for both control and watching. I have a hard wired system for Fire and Entry but not a camera system yet. Here you really get what you pay for. Make sure the camera system can give you a photo with enough resolution to ID someone if you need it not just see them do it and consider having the DVR hidden somewhere.
It is not the critic who counts
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been looking at www.ring.com but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rusty wrote:I've been looking at http://www.ring.com but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Rusty,

a rattle-can will defeat that thing, as will a piece of electrical tape. seems risky to me.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I have the controller and all the switches for making my house, "smart", but I haven't rewired everything yet, I need to buy new faceplates for all the switches. Next project.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

jkbrea wrote:I don't know how good they are but Harbor Freight sells some for about $300. They have night vision capabilities and you can access from your smart phone. Here's a link. They have a few models.
http://www.harborfreight.com/household/ ... 68332.html
Thank you for the link, I think I am going with POE, power over ethernet, much easier to run Cat5.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

AJMD429 wrote:The 'wireless' stuff we have tried claims to have ranges of anywhere from 900 to 1200 feet, but is unreliable even 200-300 feet away. Probably nearby powerlines. I'd consider hardwired systems for at least part of the setup.
Was that the camera capture distance? Or wireless alarm?
The one I kind of narrowed down says it gets 100 ft in the dark and manual adjust for daytime viewing distance.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Paladin wrote:
This and consider all internet systems are hack-able for both control and watching. I have a hard wired system for Fire and Entry but not a camera system yet. Here you really get what you pay for. Make sure the camera system can give you a photo with enough resolution to ID someone if you need it not just see them do it and consider having the DVR hidden somewhere.
I plan on going with full 1080 resolution, they say you can get good still shots from the saved data. I plan hiding the DVR.

Thanks,
Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Rusty wrote:I've been looking at http://www.ring.com but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I need to look at this some more, might be a really cool back-up to the video. Neat.

Thanks,
Steve
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Grizz wrote:
Rusty,

a rattle-can will defeat that thing, as will a piece of electrical tape. seems risky to me.

Well there is a way around everything. This one also has a motion sensor so you don't have to wait for someone to ring the bell to get an alert. The thing I like about it is that you can answer the door without going to the door and you can answer the door while not even being at home.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Rusty wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Rusty,

Well there is a way around everything. This one also has a motion sensor so you don't have to wait for someone to ring the bell to get an alert. The thing I like about it is that you can answer the door without going to the door and you can answer the door while not even being at home.
First thing is you have to know its there, second when placing the tape, you leave a big picture of yourself. And if wearing a mask, then it really doesn't matter because they are coming in regardless.

Steve