W I P

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

W I P

Post by Grizz »

been skinning forearms recently . . .
150703_012.jpg
the field expedient dog lead converted to a field expediente Spanish Lass. er, Spanish lash. uh, spanish windlass. yeah, that's it. adaptation is desireable when encountering the clueless wiring job that lives under the hatch.
P1350328.JPG
the alt right hand clasped together with the alt left hand. one holds the shiny reflective device, and the other holds the shiny sun replacement device. it is a 400 watt l.e.d. AC-DC device. not that there is anything wrong with that.
150704_007.jpg
the spark device alignment and coaxer tool. note the correct contractor supplied high heat anti-seize. worthwhile if you are opposed to seizing.
150625_006.jpg
the superiorvisor, with his superior stare . . . wondering why the laz hatch is still unfinished . . .

it's because when the van job is finished I'm up $350, which is convertible into this:
150703_001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: W I P

Post by jeepnik »

Ahh, good ole copper coat (never did know it's real name). Just used some Friday to keep some unions and threaded joints from seizing for the next guy. Yea, the idiot before me thought you could use Teflon tape on a high temp line.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Didnt realize you had been bit by the boat building bug. What is she? I built a Michalik Mayfly14 a while back (hurricane dumped it off the saw horses and sent it to the scrap pile). My retirement build is gonna be a Storer Goat Island Skiff.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I see that your technical adviser is diligently overseeing the work. :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Jeremy,

wowsers, a Mayfly, good one. this is Michalak's AF4 that I'm building from scratch. the boat out back is an Aeolus Bank Dory that I'm fixing and rebuilding. Not restoring 'cause I'm doing it my way for his second 40 or 50 years.

Are you following the journys of the AF4b called Kiss of the Wolf? It's a 15' version that has about 30,000 miles on his own bottom. Links at the duck.

That Goat Island Skiff looks like a huge barrel of fun. Please keep us posted when you get to the work. GIS is high performance.

My AF4 is low performance. I'm building to Alaska standards, not trailer boater stuff, for a trip to Alaska next summer. Probably tow the dory, using it as a cargo trailer.

If you have any build pictures or links to your Mayfly I would really like to see them.

Regards,
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hawkeye2 wrote:I see that your technical adviser is diligently overseeing the work. :lol:
Yeah, and he gets comensurate salary and benefits too !
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The AF4 is a nice family boat. A couple of them have done the Texas 200 not fast but solid as a rock. Hadnt seen the AF4b I will have to search for it.

I thought I did a build post on here. I will have to look and find it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for the link.

Here's the current log of KOTW: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/15/out ... /index.htm

There are two installments, in the first there are links to prior voyages. Very worthwhile stuff for small boat sailors.

See the Tohatsu engine on KITW? Turns out it's the engine Japanese fisherman use because it will run without a battery. If I get a new engine, it will be a Tohatsu. I just wish it was air cooled. Then it would be perfect. Magneto ignition. What will they think of next, those clever engineers?

Regards,
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

JReed wrote:Didnt realize you had been bit by the boat building bug. What is she? I built a Michalik Mayfly14 a while back (hurricane dumped it off the saw horses and sent it to the scrap pile). My retirement build is gonna be a Storer Goat Island Skiff.
I hope you don't really think you will have time for boat-building when you retire. Nevah hoppin, GI. :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jnyork wrote:
JReed wrote:Didnt realize you had been bit by the boat building bug. What is she? I built a Michalik Mayfly14 a while back (hurricane dumped it off the saw horses and sent it to the scrap pile). My retirement build is gonna be a Storer Goat Island Skiff.
I hope you don't really think you will have time for boat-building when you retire. Nevah hoppin, GI. :lol:
Oh there is always time for boat building, especially when you have teenage boys for the heavy lifting :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Grizz yes I had read that it just didnt click when you mentioned it. I read so much over on duckworks I forget some of it lol. My ultimate goal for the GIS is to do the Texas 200 in 2020.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yeah Jeremy, it didn't click that I had read your post on your sailboat build. What's the story on that boat now, do you still have it? Did you camp and sail and picnic with it?

I'd love to do the Tx200 but it's KILLER weather for me, I can't tolerate that kind of heat. Or any kind actually. I'd go for an engineless race to Nome from Sitka, or something like that.

Did you follow the race to Alaska? It was interesting and educational. R2AK.com . I think the race tracker is still functional and you can replay the tracks.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well... never got it in the water :( We had a hurricane last summer that dumped it off the saw horses and on to a brick. The starboard side up by the bow blew from chine to wale. The impact poped the wale off for a 3rd of the length going back to the stern. I could see no way of repairing the damage so chopped it up with the sawzal and gave it a viking funeral. :(

no I didn't follow it. I will have to go back and read up on it.

the Tx200 just sounds like my idea of crazy fun. I am not a fan of the humidity but the heat doesnt bother me too much as long as I have enough water on hand.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Better than arming...umm...never mind. :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:

Whew! Caught your self in the nick .... ..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizz wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Whew! Caught your self in the nick .... ..
No kidding. Almost made a mountain out of a mohel...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!