Always check

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Always check

Post by walks with gun »

Went to load up the last 100 of my cast .45acp bullets this morning before I start casting new ones. Anyway I cleaned and resized the brass a few months ago so today I primed and started dropping 6grs. of Unique in each one. I always set my tray down and visually inspect them making sure there even and double check my measure with each tray before seating bullets. One case looked like a charge and a half or double charge so I dumped it into my scale and the charge was fine, but when I looked into the case I pulled out a dead moth. I don't know if it could have blocked the flash from the primer or moister could effect the powder making a squib but in 35 years of reloading that's a first for me. I guess I'll be putting lids on my brass buckets too now. Always pays to double check things.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Always check

Post by TedH »

Yes, you can't make too many safety checks. I once found a dead spider in a 45 Colt case.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Always keep my brass in covered containers. My reloading shop is out in the barn... and has more than its share of mud-daubers and wasps! 45Colts are apparently the PERFECT size!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote:Always keep my brass in covered containers. My reloading shop is out in the barn... and has more than its share of mud-daubers and wasps! 45Colts are apparently the PERFECT size!
Not gettin a lot of reloading done this time of year are ya?

Im just guessing that barn is H-O-T Hot right about now :o :o
----- Doug
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Good call. I keep all of my brass in zip lock bags or those disposable plastic food containers. Keeps them free of dust and critters.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Reaching into a bag of brass I was resizing, I thought, Oh I stuck myself with a burr of metal.
Pulling my hand out, I found a bumble bee hanging by his stinger.

It pays to look before you reach, step, or set.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have been using the big red coffee cans and lids for a long time for brass and bullets, but I did find a chipmunk in a boot I put on in the garage one morning.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Avoid double dosing fellers by putting your primed cases up side down prior to charging.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Thanks Nath, but as hard as it is to come up with pistol powder sometimes I better stick to my old ways.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

walks with gun wrote:Thanks Nath, but as hard as it is to come up with pistol powder sometimes I better stick to my old ways.
Pardon, don't understand sir?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Sorry Nath, I thought you were being funny, I pictured dumping the powder over upside down cases in the tray. The easiest way is after cleaning is to always keep my brass in covered containers. I shouldn't be eating that stuff but gallon Ice Cream buckets are just the right size and stack nice too. I'll have to jump off my diet for a few day's.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ahhr OK, sorry.
No I meant remove all doubt by a golden rule, all cases are upside down unless just charged. No need to do a double check. Bugs yeah, check when you take one to charge.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"always check" - solid advice for sure!