Fire birds working

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Fire birds working

Post by BigSky56 »

this morning a couple of birds working a fire behind me that came out of the wilderness a CH54a Tarhe and a UH1N, the pond is on a neighbors ranch about 2 miles from the fire. danny
DSCF1138_155_01.JPG
DSCF1139_156_01.JPG
DSCF1140_157_01.JPG
DSCF1141_158_01.JPG
DSCF1151_168_01.JPG
DSCF1168_185_01.JPG
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fire birds working

Post by JerryB »

Great pictures, hope they can help.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I wish them the best of luck on their fires.

Been really smoky over this way for several weeks.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Malamute The fire boss for this fire is from Cody and he brought a fire team from the Big Horn area he walked 45 miles in 2 days surveying the east and north edge of the fire, Iam not to worried about my place I built in a meadow and its green all the way around me and the timber is 200 yds away worst case is fire brands raining down Ive got gravity flow water for the place. the fire will burn till the snow fly's. 8600 ac as of this morning. danny
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I fought fire for the NPS out of Yosemite in 1960. Actually, my main job was as a Blister Rust checker but they crossed trained us to fight fire and it was a good idea too as it was a huge bad year for fires.
They had a bad one in Sequoia NP and took a cattle truck full of us down on that one. We were over two weeks on it. After the first day I somehow got volunteered to work with all the contract helicopter pilots. That was good because after that every fire I showed up at the pilots would recognize me and ask my boss for me to be assigned with them. The guys I worked with told me that the prior year, 1959, was the first they worked with choppers. We had the old antique Bell G-2`s and G-3`s plus a Hiller. My job was loading the tools and Indians on and off but mainly filling up large water bladders under the choppers. Seem`s we were still in the experimental stage with them. I knew roughly 15 to 20 pilots. That summer we lost two choppers. Later when I was a studio guard for Universal I ran into Broderick Crawford and asked him about the pilot he used on his series of Highway Patrol. The guy had given me my first ride. Crawford said he had dropped into a fire and was killed, so make that three. Then still much later when I was a Lockheed guard I read a report in our pilots lounge of another pilot I knew that got killed somehow hauling a large transmission power pole, so make that 4. Then I knew another pilot that was a test pilot on our old "Cheyanne" Helicopter contract that got killed. Make it 5. Then I knew Gary Powers that flew our U-2`s. He left us to fly for a TV station. He and a reporter with him got killed reporting on a fire. Make that 6. Then I had a very close friend that crashed instructing but lived to die elsewhere. They dont pay these guys enough. I fly a small fixed wing. (Citabria). There is a huge helicopter school in our town. (upper limits aviation) http://www.aviationschoolsonline.com/sc ... 24/F/3.php I know about a half dozen of the instructors and students. If I was a vet to get help with the tuition and not a old man I would do it!