Military "type" wood stove/tent heater

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Military "type" wood stove/tent heater

Post by gcs »

Anybody have experience with these types of stoves?
EBay is full of them, they all look the same, and they are cheap.
I'm looking for a small woodstove for a small hunting camp shack that will be insulated. First considered a Sheepherder type, then saw these. Like I said, very cheap, so I'm a little leary. Stove will be used a couple days at a time, and would be handy as I have unlimited firewood available.
Think about it as a wood stove for a Wall tent, but an insulated one. Thanks
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Military "type" wood stove/tent heater

Post by TraderVic »

I have two canvas wall tents and purchased Four Dog Stoves, one for each of them.

I've seen the stove you are asking about, but have no experience with them. If they are cheap enough...why not try one out and see if it meets your needs ?

How big/small is your insulated shack ? How cold does it get and how long do you want to carry a fire or coals for ?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I saw one in use once, it looked OK but I would not expect it to last a lifetime.
If I had a need for a wood burning stove I would get one, my Kelly Kettle serves me well for what I need but would not be much of a heater.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I have used them at camp if we are talking about the 25 gal barrel type that stands on end and also uses diesel, at cow and hunting camp I learned to put a couple inches of sand in the bottom to help protect the bottom, if a permanent station I would put fire brick in the bottom and one brick high up the inside for wood. they are a good stove Ive seen them on coleman's for 160$ or so with the diesel burner. danny
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thanks, a little more info, the shack is one of those pre fab "Amish" storage sheds, has I believe a 9' center height and about 10x14' size. Temps during season can be as low as low to mid teens. I will insulate with standard FG insulation, and probably a cheap paneling over that.
These small stoves are like a horizontal cylinder stove, probably not air tight, but I don't think any of the small tent stoves are, and only has a 2.25" stove pipe. I looked at a KNICO sheepherders stove and they use a 4-5" flue pipe. A "real" woodstove would bake you out of the building, thats why I'm considering the tent type, even though the burn time is shorter.
This will be a permanent install, so weight isn't really the issue, just don't want to spend a lot of money for something that will get limited use.
I'll look at the 4 dog stoves, I've heard of them before.

Any other ideas, solutions, or comments always appreciated.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

There are two basic types of military heaters, the YUKON and what we referred to as a POTBELLY. Both have the capability to burn wood or use a carburetor that provides the ability to use fuel. The Army recommends diesel for the stove, of course it never provided the BTUs like gas. It was common to mix a can 50/50 with gas/diesel mix. I will also state with that comment, TENT FIRES were also common when they turned the carburetor up to high. The only issue that I ever encountered burning wood was the stove pipes need cleaning after 3 or 4 days of heavy use. Make sure you use them with a high ceiling tent designed with a cutout for the pipe. It is not uncommon for the pipes to turn orange from a hot fire in the stove, it is imperative that your tent be able to tolerate the heat of the pipe. If it is the old GP Medium, Small or a Crew tent you should be good.

I will throw in an additional comment. Fires need to go out at night unless you have a fireguard. Back in 1998 or 1999 there were two Soldiers that died at NTC, National Training Center, due to carbon monoxide poisoning. It was about that time that the army eliminated the heater from their system and replaced it with what was referred to as a Herman Nelson Heater that was a generator that produced hot blown air that was pushed to the tent from a heat duct.

YUKON= http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... k?a=411751
POTBELLY= https://colemans.com/shop/military-tent ... 41-unused/
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Please....any conversation about heating that includes "gasoline" is a very bad idea. An eventual death sentence.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

BlaineG wrote:Please....any conversation about heating that includes "gasoline" is a very bad idea. An eventual death sentence.
Any fire in a tent while sleeping is a BAD IDEA period! It makes no difference if it is WOOD, DIESEL, GAS, PROPANE, KEROSENE.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ok we werent talking about the same stove, I was thinking of this one a dual fuel wood or diesel, any regular type tent stove would work I wouldnt go below a 4" flue they are hard to clean. danny
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I don't know about the stoves but, in a space that small, make sure the combustion air is ducted in from outside
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

If it were me, I would go with a propane heater that had the carbon monoxide detector on it and would shutdown for safety. Check out MR. HEATER Brands.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

We've used Four Dog Stoves ( wood stoves ) to heat our canvas wall tent many, many times in cold to very cold conditions. The stoves use a 4-6" flu pipe and with proper draft, are capable of carrying a fire ( or coals ) through the night safely.....safer than most other tent heaters I've seen.

I use a four dog stove ( this is the size of the stove ) in my 12 x 14' wall tent.

I use a three dog stove in my 10 x 12' wall tent.

These are pretty much portable stoves and as you said - you could set up a more permanent arrangement for a stove.