Federal Fusion .223

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Federal Fusion .223

Post by centershot »

Hello all,

I have a friend who has been hunting deer with his .223 boltgun for the past 4 years now. He has taken a nice buck each year, one shot each, using Federal Fusion 62 grain softpoints. The bullets are complete pass-throughs leaving a big ugly hole behind them. I was impressed enough by that performance that I am taking my .223 out this year! Question; Does anyone know who makes that bullet? Thanks foe your input!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Federal Fusion .223

Post by Blaine »

I have three calibres of Federal Fusion. There are not any kudos to a bullet manufactory, so I'd say that Federal makes them.

A Chuck Hawks article seems to back that up.

Here are some for reloading
https://www.americanreloading.com/en/22 ... s-500.html
Last edited by Blaine on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I can't say this with any degree of certainty, but since Federal and Speer are both owned by ATK, it's likely that the Fusion bullet is produced in the Speer factory.
NRA Life Member
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Not sure what factory turns them out, but they are dynamite. Superbly accurate in my Savage Axis and DPMS AR, and they slay deer spectacularly.
ozygreg
Levergunner

Post by ozygreg »

hi ozygreg from Australia . I hunt with a 223 for deer as well . we have done a lot of work , found the most accurate load for my howa 223 varmit heavy barrel, 6.24 x50 S111 sytron ./. 55gr nosler ballistic tip ./. 26.5 ADI.2208 smokeless powder ./.lapua brass ./. br2 primers ./.
I find it consistently accurate . clean headshots all the time , as I only hunt for meat .deer and goats . . a lot of our hunting club has gone to this load and they seem to be happy , I am a average shot . my mate can put 5 shots in the same hole at 100mts
I have not hear of the ammo you arks about it mite not be in Australia , but this is a load to look at . . I weigh ever thing to the grain so all the same , and you know where everyone lands . hope this helps ozygreg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

fusion is to federal what deep curl is to speer both are made the same way they are a chemically bonded bullet, sans one item fusions are BT and deep curl have a cupped base which can really build pressure comparing a DC to a hotcor it takes 2-4 grs less powder to get the same speed in a DC, fusion use to be available as a component then federal closed that venue. Being that speer discontinued DC and are staying with hotcors & grand slams which are both a good bullet. I load the 70 gr hotcor in 223 it works on anything I shoot. danny