Got my first crossbow deer (kind of thin though)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Got my first crossbow deer (kind of thin though)

Post by EdinCT »

Went out after work on Thursday to hang a stand to hunt out of Friday. Once it was up I hunted out of it for two hours and looked to my right and when I looked back this small buck was right were I was just looking. Almost like he was beamed in!
He started to walk away quartering to my right and I put the cross hairs on his flank and touched the trigger when he paused at 25 yards. The bolt sailed through so fast he just walked off. I lost sight of him for 10-15 seconds then saw him step over a stonewall about 40 yards away. I then started second guessing if I hit him. I gave him some time but it was getting dark fast has soon has the sun set. I climbed down and reloaded the crossbow, then went to check for blood. I never found the bolt or a blood trail but when I reached the wall he was dead about 10 yards farther. It was dark by the time I got him to the barn and a little warm, so I skinned him right away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by EdinCT on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got my first crossbow deer (kind of thin though)

Post by TedH »

Good job! Ought to be some good eating there. 8)
NRA Life Member
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Sounds like he was dead and didn't know it for a moment
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Congratulations, what crossbow were you using?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thin ? .......Make skin soup! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Road pizza
! ! ! . :mrgreen:

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Congratulations!! I have been lookin to pick up a crossbow my own self . . .

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Ji, I used an Excalibur Matrix 355, with the bolt cutter 150 gr broad head made by the same company.
This head is a three blade 1 1/8" cutting dia. I have used a Muzzy 100 gr 4 blade of the same dia. for years with great results and blood trails so I was surprised by the lack of blood but, I do know a sample of one and the quartering shot may of entered in. Also the body was FULL of blood on both sides of the diaphragm.
So far I am pleased with this crossbow and it sure is FAST.
Also this same buck was seen in my sweet corn in August and really wiped the whole patch so he was in pretty good shape with that and the abundant acorns before skinning.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

These deer this year must not have any blood. Mine never left a tail either. A young buck like that should be good and tender. Good job.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

EdinCT wrote:Ji, I used an Excalibur Matrix 355, with the bolt cutter 150 gr broad head made by the same company.
This head is a three blade 1 1/8" cutting dia. I have used a Muzzy 100 gr 4 blade of the same dia. for years with great results and blood trails so I was surprised by the lack of blood but, I do know a sample of one and the quartering shot may of entered in. Also the body was FULL of blood on both sides of the diaphragm.
So far I am pleased with this crossbow and it sure is FAST.
Also this same buck was seen in my sweet corn in August and really wiped the whole patch so he was in pretty good shape with that and the abundant acorns before skinning.
I just read the specs for the Excalibur Matrix 355: 240 lbs draw weight and 355 FPS WOW impressive. My old but reliable Barnett Quad 300 draw weight is 150 lbs. (compound) and 300+ fps though exact velocity not stated but I'm guessing 315 at most. I am amazed that the recurve limbs of the 355 can get these velocities but then again my compound Barnett is probably 15 years old, was state of the art back then though. How difficult is it to draw the 240 lbs.?
I haven't touched the Barnett since moving here to Oahu from Maui 8 years ago. In Hawaii compounds are only legal on private lands, and I have no access to private lands on this island like I did on Maui. Sure do miss the place.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Neat.
Is the deer fat? Layers of fat can stop the bleeding out.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Ji, I am 6'1" and almost 60 years old and find it pretty easy to cock. It does shoot a honest 355 fps in all tests with the 150 gr broadhead.

Nath, This buck isn't fat but is in good shape. He appears to be in what I call the pre rut build up. His neck was larger than when I last saw him a month ago and he was scraping over the property. He was small but hopefull :)