.44 - 40 "hunting loads"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

.44 - 40 "hunting loads"

Post by Arminius »

Dear fellows! I am looking for "hunting" and "anti predator" ;-) loads for my U.S.F.A .44-40 and my Win 1873 Type replica guns.

Pls gimme your favourite loads ... not CAS, not plinking loads - simply loads on a level, the old timers would have used.

( with modern powders, of course )

TIA, Hermann
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .44 - 40 "hunting loads"

Post by Nath »

You ruined it with the modern powders thing :lol:

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I've been using a .430, 200 gr, RNFP lead bullet with 8.5 gr of Unique for about 1250 FPS from my BTH Henry....
These bullets are SNS brand, available at the lgs, marked for .44 mag....
My bbl slugs about .429......
Seem to work very well.....
I don't have a handgun in that caliber, so can't help there...

Hope this helps...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Arminius wrote:Dear fellows! I am looking for "hunting" and "anti predator" ;-) loads for my U.S.F.A .44-40 and my Win 1873 Type replica guns.

Pls gimme your favourite loads ... not CAS, not plinking loads - simply loads on a level, the old timers would have used.

( with modern powders, of course )

TIA, Hermann
What are you hunting?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Unique does a fine job in my colt, if I had a rifle to go with it I would try some 2400

ollogger
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I don't shoot the 44-40, but from the hodgdon site
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
I have other loads from lyman if you need them.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use a .429 dia. 200 grain Hornaday XTP over (undisclosed) amount of 296 or H110 but I keep these labeled "for 92 only" as I don't want them to get into one of my 73's or my Colts for that matter.

Actually I don't think you can beat as much fffg as you can squeeze under the same bullet for the toggle link actions. Just eyeball where the base of the bullet will be and use enough to fill the case to about 1/8th or 3/16ths inch above that. Seating the bullet will compress the powder and you have the ideal hunting load. Of course on a still morning you'll have to run out from behind the cloud of smoke to see if you hit anything. You probably want to use a "big lube", cast bullet that will carry enough lube for your barrel length.

I looked at Hogdon's web site and they have a very complete listing for the 44-40.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Been shooting 44 WCF for many years and you will be hard pressed to ever find a load that will group as well as 3F.
With 44 WCF most older molds will not have a crimp groove. You can roll crimp into the first band but sooner or later one of those bullets is going to get deep seated while in the mag tube or while getting run into the chamber. 3F will form a solid powder column under the bullet and it will never get deep seated.
You can find bullets with a crimp groove but it may be in the wrong place and your OAL can end up too long. 1873's will not tolerate too long bullets. But several good custom mold makers have excellent molds with the groove in the right place so smokeless can be used securely.
All the above I learned the hard way with a 2nd model 1873 in 44 WCF. That is the only caliber made back then.
If I was to shoot smokeless in a 1873 replica lever gun it would be 7 grains of Unique with a 200 grain bullet sized to groove diameter +.0015-.002 over groove. Range scrap would work well. 40-1 even better.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

A big THANKS to all!

Will use Unique, starting from 7 up to perhaps 8,5 grs under a 200 grs .429 bullet!

Hermann