Remington Model 14

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Remington Model 14

Post by Marlin32 »

Friend of mine has 13 (yes, 13) Remington Model 14's
Has a .25 with the bolt thumb safety,
some 35's 30 Rems and at least one 32 Remington. Most are in very good condition.
Wondering what the 32 rem in good condition would be worth? He is willing to part with it.
Anyone shoot these? I am not a pump fan, but kind of a nostalgic neat firearm.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Remington Model 14

Post by Sixgun »

Surprisingly, Remington 14's do not bring big bucks. I've had a mess over the years and currently have only one...but a nice one in 35. Brass can be a bummer to find for the 30 and the 32 but the 30 is easier to find than the 32 and either can be made from the other.
A Remington factory rep told me several years back that if the 14/141/25 was reintroduced today and made in the same manner, it would cost around 2500 due to the vast time in machining that is required.

Here in Pa, pump guns are all over the place and a decent 80% example in standard configuration can be had for 5 or under.

I can attest that these guns are excellent shooters, especially with cast bullets.-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I like them; I shoot them. The 32 is the only one I don't have yet. Like Six says, if you are selling one it has to be really pristine to bring $500 or better. The tang/ceiver peep sight adds $100 to the value if it has one.

Seems like the run of brass Remington made ---probably about 3 years ago?--- is about dried up. Hopefully Remington will make us another run before many more years pass.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've never owned a 32 but had a 30 for some time. I made brass for it from 30-30. Just turn the rim off and cut an extraction groove. They worked fine. Would 32 Special rework for the 32 Remington? I'll bet Earl knows.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Is Remington making .30 Rem ammo for their .30Rem AR ?

If so, since another board member sold me a .35 M-141 several months ago (Thanks, Bill ! ), I would order some new brass (primed or not) from Remington for making ammo for the subject .32Rem.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Is Remington making .30 Rem ammo for their .30Rem AR ?

If so, since another board member sold me a .35 M-141 several months ago (Thanks, Bill ! ), I would order some new brass (primed or not) from Remington for making ammo for the subject .32Rem. .
The new .30 Rem AR is based on the '06 case head. The one based on the 30 Rem case head is the Remington 6.8 SPC. But this 6.8 is about .4" too short to make 30 and 32 Rems. It does keep the necessary case forming stuff alive though, since there is now a modern cartridge utilizing the old case head. So it won't take any greatly special effort out of Remington to make us a run of those cartridges. And heck, maybe our new friends at PVI Partizan will start making it!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Anyone having the tang peep that engages the two horizonital holes on back of the receiver on some Rem.14/141s, for $100 or less,please contact this writer,as I have more than one rifle that could use same... :mrgreen: ......Nate
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

natedontgo wrote:Anyone having the tang peep that engages the two horizonital holes on back of the receiver on some Rem.14/141s, for $100 or less,please contact this writer,as I have more than one rifle that could use same... :mrgreen: ......Nate
First thing, all the 14/141's have those mounting holes. Second thing, what you do, Nate, is you watch GunBroker until a beater shows up with one of these nifty sights attached. You buy the rifle, switch the peep sight to your good rifle and put your old open sight on the beater. Then sell said beater and expect to take about $100 less for it than you paid for it.

And that's how I got the ones I have, if they didn't come pre-attached. I'm pretty sure that all ends up costing you somewhat more than $100 with shipping and FFL fees, but that's how most of my firearms transactions seem to work out...

I do have one sitting on the back of the bench that has half the peep hole broke off. Been figuring I'd get son-in-law (real good with a welder) to weld on one of my Williams inserts and be back in business with it, but haven't got there yet. But I have a 30 Rem carbine languishing in the safe, waiting for slow poke here to sweet talk the welder fellow so I have the good sight for it.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

The cheapest unattached one I saw at the big Missoula show was $145(It did have the orig.box)..I am now looking at Rem mdl. 14,serial#16974,a 30 R. and # 21461.a 32 R. neither of which have those aforementioned holes.??? Nate
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I've got Model 14s in all the calibers. The 30 and 35 are carbines (the 30 having a fingernail safety). If I had to pick a "favorite" the decision would be difficult. Fortunately, about 15 years ago I bought about 300 Remington factory casings for the 30 which can serve as brass for the 25, 30 or 32.

My goal is to get a 25 carbine. They're out there but it ain't gonna be an easy find!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have a beater 141 that I over paid for that I can't really shoot because I can't see the sights. But I surely don't want to sink any more money into it. :cry:
Slow is just slow.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl has the drill down pat!

:lol: