Winchester gun factory New Haven Ct.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester gun factory New Haven Ct.

Post by cshold »

Today :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester gun factory New Haven Ct.

Post by boolitshooter »

:| :| :|
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Thanks to the Union.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

boolitshooter wrote:Thanks to the Union.
Can you post me a link or some sound information about your union statement please.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Same thing that bankrupted Colt's..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Seems to me the employees tried hard to keep the company going.
An average $16.00 an hour in CT. in 2006 wasn't a high rate of pay.

"About 150 of the 186 workers in New Haven are members of the International Assn. of Machinists Local 609. They make from $13 to $24 an hour, averaging about $16, said Everett Corey, directing business representative of the IAM district that includes the Winchester factory."

"Corey said the union some time ago negotiated exclusive rights for the New Haven plant to produce the Model 1300 pump shotgun and two American classics, the bolt-action Model 70 and the lever-action Model 94."

"The Model 70, a 70-year-old design, has long been the first choice of many military snipers and remains popular with police SWAT teams as well as sportsmen. The Model 94, first built in 1894, has appeared in countless Hollywood Westerns and is similar to the tricked-up, rapid-fire weapon used by Chuck Connors in the 1960s TV series "The Rifleman."

The union had initially hoped that its rights agreement would provide enough leverage to keep the plant open. But U.S. Repeating Arms now plans to retire the Model 70 and Model 94, although Corey said the union is hoping to generate some interest from another manufacturer to resume production in New Haven.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Investors, diminishing market share, taxes, and a myriad of other issues led to their demise. I would say that if USRA had brought back the 1892 & 1873 back in the late 1980s cowboy action shooters would have been snapping them up instead of the Uberti & Rossi copies of those... but that didn't seem to help Marlin. In their stock form, the Marlin is slightly the better firearm, with a shorter lever throw, but its timing is more critical. I can think of few cowboy action shooters that wouldn't rather have "Winchester" stamped on their barrel rather than "Uberti" or "Rossi". (If price points were within reason).

As it is, a few hundred new shooters acquiring guns and seasoned shooters seeking replacements per year doesn't seem like it's a broad enough market to base a business plan on.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

+1 Griff
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Fortunately for lever gun folk, Miroku now fills that gap with excellent Winchester reproductions.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have one of the last 30-30 94 Rifles to be made in New Haven. My only regret, I did not buy the 38-55 just like the 30-30 when I had the chance.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

crs wrote:Fortunately for lever gun folk, Miroku now fills that gap with excellent Winchester reproductions.

No thanks...
I'll go old school & buy vintage :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

It is sad to see that the New Haven factory now is what it is. I wish anyone who could get that place up and running again all the luck in the world. Hopefully, they will return to make Winchester guns EXACTLY as they were before 1964.
On a different note regarding Miroku production rifles: So much attention to detail has been made to keep the Models 71, 73, 86, 92 and 95 as original as possible (except for the tang safety that is!). I commend them for a job well done and enjoy shooting them. What I find odd, though, is that their rendition of the 94 still retains that post 64 styled action along with its pathetic side eject set-up. I don't know how many 94s they've sold since being brought back, but it seems that model would be more collectable if the "original 1894" had been resurrected. Why do they continue to do the same thing over and over and then expect different results???
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »