Marlin 1895 CB Doe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 1895 CB Doe

Post by EdinCT »

I have been trying to fill my doe tag with the 38 WCF but haven't seen a thing. Today it was starting to rain and called for heavy rain at times so I took my 45/70 loaded with 300 gr Ranch dogs over a load of Reloader 7. It should be around 1950 fps or so, have to admit I have not shot any over the chrony.
Well I still hunted into the wind for 1 1/2 hours and took a stand against the base of a large oak. Around 2:30 two large coyotes came by and I was trying to pick them up has they traveled through the brush and the scope was blurry. They got my wind and left post haste. So I wiped the scope lens and my glasses.
Sun set was around 4:20 ( legal end of shooting) but it was getting dark around 3:30. At 3:50 I saw something moving up through the brush and positioned myself in case it was a doe. It was and she entered a lane around 70 yards away. When I saw her shoulder I shot and she jumped and kicked out but ran off flagging with several other deer.
I went down to have a look thinking she would be piled up in sight but no hair was found it was also soaking wet from the heavy rain. I did the grid search and finally found her around 65 yards down hill dead. I hit her just forward of her right shoulder high and the bullet exited mid ribs low on the off side.
When I first used The Ranch dog I seemed to get some mild expansion with 20-1 alloy, this year I shot a harder alloy and while it worked I think it was better softer.
Over all I am pleased and thankful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 1895 CB Doe

Post by AJMD429 »

Good deal. At least with the big hole from that slug, 'expansion' isn't as critical as with a 30-30, or 35 Remington.

My 240 gr JSP 44 Mag bullets are around 1800 fps, and have never failed to go through both sides of a deer, bone or not, and the deer always piles up within however far they can run in five seconds.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good shootin there Ed
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

plowboy 45 wrote:Good shootin there Ed
+1. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good Shootin there, Love My Marlin's. :mrgreen:
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Congratulations , thats a big doe. Good shooting!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yeah, that looks like a huge doe there, Ed - Didja weigh her ?

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Pete, I didn't weigh her but have weighed many and I bet she is around 130lbs dressed. I confess she looked like a mule stepping into the shooting lane.
CT no longer requires check in except online reporting. I personally don't think its a good idea due to cheaters are going to cheat. I think it allows the foxes to watch the hen house. But our Gov. could care less about our deer herd.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice shooting, nice doe! :D :D :D
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice deer
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Looks like a big doe Ed. Enjoy the meat.