Deer meat with some leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Deer meat with some leverguns

Post by BenT »

Opening day all I seen was a small doe walk up to my treestand , stare at me then walk away. Our property butts up to a lime stone quarry, we do a drive along the quarry (push the pit as we call it). Well I go stand at the far end and climb to the top of the ridge. I just crest the ridge and this little forky comes running straight at me.

I told my self I was going to shoot a doe if I see one , because I wanted meat in the freezer. Well I usually don't shoot little bucks but he was running straight at me and I had a second to decide weather to shoot. When he seen me he started turning and I shot him in front of the shoulder with no exit at 50 feet. He then disappeared.Which I though stuff that is a 80 foot drop into the pit. When I went to the edge there was a 10 foot drop then another 20 before the big dropoff. There he layed.

We got both of these bucks on that drive about 2 minutes apart. My son with a 9 point , 45-70 guide gun and me with 99 savage in 308. I can't say enough for a 2 power scope and shooting with both eyes open. There was no trying to find the target at this close range, the cross hairs appeared and bang.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Deer meat with some leverguns

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Now that is deer huntin' lotta good eats there.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Very nice, Congrats to you both!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good shootin fellers
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Lever Guns & a good story = A+

Brad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ollogger wrote:Lever Guns & a good story = A+
Brad
+1. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool...! Good guns, good times, good food.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Congrats! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Excellent!
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

two great firearms and two great results. way to go men.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome. What a Great Hunt for You and Your Son . Give that Young Man a pat on the back for Me. :mrgreen: .
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

That was a fine hunt. I'm glad to see a father and son successful hunt. Any hunt is better when one of your children are with you.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Cant get any better than that. Congratulations.,,,,,DT
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Congrats! Ten of us, after nine days in the woods, only got frostbite and a scraggly looking half spike/fork. Saw plenty of doe, but not one decent buck. Slim pick'n this year. But, the signs are better this year than last.

We are in the "Northern Forest Zone" that does not have doe permits as the DNR tries to rebuild the herd. Opening weekend started with temperature in the teens and 30 to 40 MPH gusts before turning into snow over the weekend and then into heavy rains mid week. First good day was this past Saturday when the deer finally started to come out of the heavy timber/swamps, even though the temperature was in the single digits. Prior to that we only saw the occasional doe. Saturday I personally saw five of them.

Oh well...BP is going on now and will probably have better luck near my permanent home.

Ben, apparently the western part of the state was a tad better than the north.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Congrats! Ten of us, after nine days in the woods, only got frostbite and a scraggly looking half spike/fork. Saw plenty of doe, but not one decent buck. Slim pick'n this year. But, the signs are better this year than last.

We are in the "Northern Forest Zone" that does not have doe permits as the DNR tries to rebuild the herd. Opening weekend started with temperature in the teens and 30 to 40 MPH gusts before turning into snow over the weekend and then into heavy rains mid week. First good day was this past Saturday when the deer finally started to come out of the heavy timber/swamps, even though the temperature was in the single digits. Prior to that we only saw the occasional doe. Saturday I personally saw five of them.

Oh well...BP is going on now and will probably have better luck near my permanent home.

Ben, apparently the western part of the state was a tad better than the north.
Yes it was. I was hunting southwest corner in Vernon county. It was a perfect morning . Got an inch of snow over night and morning temp was 27 degrees with zero wind. You could her everything moving in the woods, in was that quiet. But still did not see a lot or hear a lot of shooting.

Good Luck with black powder!