For Your Inner Racer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

For Your Inner Racer

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: For Your Inner Racer

Post by J Miller »

WOW!!!!! I loved it! No helmet, no goggles, no roll cage, no politically correct safety gadgets, just pure unadulterated horse power! WHOOO HOOOOO!
I would have loved to see the tack and speedometer, cos a couple times he was going fast enough for the wind to start blowing the wipers up the windshield. That's flat out scooting along.

Griff, thanks for posting this.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

What Joe said...... 8) 8) 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very cool.....Snarling exhaust, and Gs... :D :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's how I drive the man van, but I think I will dl that sound track for the next road trip.

that driver has seriously long legs. he kept changing the volume on the radio with his knee. :)

nice to have a car that doesn't need brakes until the end of the run

I want to drive it :!:
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Kinda reminds me of my youth driving my GTO (Pontiac), except neither the car nor the driver were that fast! :roll:

The person who deserves the award for courage is the owner of the Ferrari. That is a $30,000,000 car he is slinging around inches from those Armco guardrails. The driver is Phil Hill's son and Phil drove a Ferrari to the 1961 Formula One championship, the only U.S. born F1 champion (Mario was not born in the U.S.).

Those V12 3.0 liter Ferrari's make a glorious noise don't they? I attended a Can-Am race around 1970 and there was a 3 liter V12 Ferrari that sounded like ten thousand angry bees screaming by (it had a 12,000 rpm redline, higher than this 250 GTO). The race winning 7 liter big block Chevy McLaren sounded like a V-twin Harley by comparison.

And Derek Hill actually is using the brakes. He is heel and toeing the clutch/accelerator on the downshifts using only his right foot and left foot braking. A lost art these days with clutchless paddle shifted manual and automatic transmissions.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

66GTO, you mean these cars don't have the usual l to r clutch, brake & accelerator arrangement? I wasn't watching that close, but even with my 4-speed, I'd often slip shift, not using the clutch, or use the heel-toe thing on the brake & accelerator while using the left foot on the clutch. But, my '55 sedan was never a road racer... heck it could get kinda squirrelly on a straight-away!

And yes, the sound is awesome!

I was sure I wasn't the only one who'd enjoy that video.

The road kinda reminded of stretches of CA44/89 near Mt. Lassen...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Wow!! :shock: Would I have loved to be in the passenger's seat on that run.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Griff wrote:66GTO, you mean these cars don't have the usual l to r clutch, brake & accelerator arrangement? I wasn't watching that close, but even with my 4-speed, I'd often slip shift, not using the clutch, or use the heel-toe thing on the brake & accelerator while using the left foot on the clutch. But, my '55 sedan was never a road racer... heck it could get kinda squirrelly on a straight-away!

And yes, the sound is awesome!

I was sure I wasn't the only one who'd enjoy that video.

The road kinda reminded of stretches of CA44/89 near Mt. Lassen...
Griff, the clutch/brake pedal configuration is normal. He is using his left foot for the clutch. I put my fingers in gear before engaging my brain when I typed "left foot braking" earlier :oops: Right foot heel/toe on brake/throttle for the rev match on the downshift. I'm sure as a trucker you could execute it expertly every time.

Although some 3 pedal race car drivers do left foot brake when not using the clutch, I didn't see Derek Hill do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhFAy-hbow He has such long legs he was having to drive all bow legged. I am amazed he could drive it that well.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Killjoy here. What happens when a deer jumps out on you? Last year I hit a fawn on a trail driving our Polaris RZR at only 15 mph. The fawn wasn't going to live and was bleating in pain. I had to finish it off with my revolver. It flipped my wife out. She still start`s crying every time we see a deer close crossing the road. Almost every day of the year where we live in Utah I probably could show you one to three road kills from the night before in and a short drive out of town here. About a half mile from our house they put up a flashing deer crossing sign. A few days after they put it up I seen two dead deer a couple feet from it! That could do wonders to that car and elvis at those speeds.
Years ago I was flying and was making a landing on a narrow trail or sort of a service road through a christmas tree farm in Wisconsin. A big buck ran out in front of me, seen me and scratched out ahead of me. I sort of was past the point of no return, couldn't add power to take off again without hitting the deer so was standing on the brakes as much as I dared without nosing over. I kept closing in on his tail as I was slowing and he kicked it up in passing gear and then tried to run through the thick small trees, was going too fast to do it, changed his mind and darted out in front of me again. I know I nipped his tail with the prop! I was flying my Citabria (a high wing tandem tail dragger) and had a cousin sitting behind me that had never flew before. Corky kept bellering in my ear we are gonna hit him! Corky went and took flying lessons later.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Booger Bill wrote:Killjoy here. What happens when a deer jumps out on you? Last year I hit a fawn on a trail driving our Polaris RZR at only 15 mph. The fawn wasn't going to live and was bleating in pain. I had to finish it off with my revolver. It flipped my wife out. She still start`s crying every time we see a deer close crossing the road. Almost every day of the year where we live in Utah I probably could show you one to three road kills from the night before in and a short drive out of town here. About a half mile from our house they put up a flashing deer crossing sign. A few days after they put it up I seen two dead deer a couple feet from it! That could do wonders to that car and elvis at those speeds.
Years ago I was flying and was making a landing on a narrow trail or sort of a service road through a christmas tree farm in Wisconsin. A big buck ran out in front of me, seen me and scratched out ahead of me. I sort of was past the point of no return, couldn't add power to take off again without hitting the deer so was standing on the brakes as much as I dared without nosing over. I kept closing in on his tail as I was slowing and he kicked it up in passing gear and then tried to run through the thick small trees, was going too fast to do it, changed his mind and darted out in front of me again. I know I nipped his tail with the prop! I was flying my Citabria (a high wing tandem tail dragger) and had a cousin sitting behind me that had never flew before. Corky kept bellering in my ear we are gonna hit him! Corky went and took flying lessons later.
Can certainly happen. Yet rare in the middle of the day. I've been hit by deer twice... one just left a bunch of hair along the headlight trim, no damage to my truck... the 2nd... wasn't so lucky, young doe did a header into my hubcap!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Looks like he was having a lot of fun.

The road looks like some of the mountain roads around here.

Are any of you guys familiar with the Silver State Classic that they put on in Nevada? I don't recall if I posted anything about it before. Twice a year they close down 90 miles of State Highway for races. Its time races. You have to make as close to your class time as possible over the entire course without going over. They also do 1/2 mile and 1 mile shootouts. Watching the big guys take off sounds like they are starting in 3rd gear, they have them geared so high for top end speed. The unlimited class runs 230-240 mph/Going through "The Narrows" section (windy road) they run 130-140 mph.

ETA: Id be a wet blanket also. I wouldn't want to try driving that fast in the mountains, way too many animals around.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I think half the body shops in my town would go out of business if somehow there were no road kills.
What amaze`s me is it doesn't seem to slow the people down that should know better.
We were talking to a young waitress about it and she claimed to have hit about a dozen! We live in the fair sized town of Cedar City and I have seen a number of road kills close to the center of town! Highway I-15 runs through here and they have put up deer fences a couple of years ago. I would estimate it might have cut down hits by maybe 30%. We are a few blocks from the edge of town and we have them occasionally run across our front yard. This time of the year around sundown I could take you out and probably show you roughly small herds of deer totaling 300 or so in a 15 minute ride.
A few years ago I know I seen around a thousand or so yarded up in a mile or two area. I really would hate hitting one while riding a motorcycle and we do read of it once in awhile.