Have Remington and Speer dropped .45-70 bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Have Remington and Speer dropped .45-70 bullets?

Post by crs »

I have searched all the top 10 bullet and ammo sources on the web and found that all show the 400 or 405 grain jacketed bullets by Remington and Speer to be "OUT OF STOCK - NO BACKORDERS".

The Remington web site lists ammo up to 9.3X62 and reloading bullets up to .308, nothing larger.
The Speer web site still lists their 300, 350 and 400 grain .458 bullets but all sources I checked for the 400 grain are out of stock.

Is this a seasonal happening or what?

All the jacketed 400 grain .458 bullets from other manufacturers are more expensive than the listed prices of 400 grain Remington; such as Alaska Bullet Works, Barnes, Hawk, Swift A Frame, and Woodleigh.

If this is an old topic/complaint, let me know where to look for the answer.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Have Remington and Speer dropped .45-70 bullets?

Post by Frank V »

I don't know if Rem or Speer have dropped the .458 bullets. I do know it's been several years since I've seen Remington .458 405gr JSP bullets for sale anywhere. That is a very good bullet in the .45-70 too.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I don't know the real answer, and anything else would be just a guess.
It seems that the last bullets that were manufactured by remington , were a few years ago, and promises of further production keeps getting delayed, and I feel there will not be a production run for another couple of years.
Its the same for winchester products, mostly their brass. They still list items that have not been available for quite some time, and probably will not be for quite a while.
This is a new era for businesses. I call it business 102, a new model. They are shipping and selling everything they produce, so why bother refitting their machines to produce goods that have less or limited demand.
I think the companies were originally reluctant to expand and hire because they thought the market would settle back down to previous levels of demand. Now they see the benefit of not doing so. Demand of goods goes up. Availability of goods stays the same or less, so prices increase. Profits increase and outstrip the running costs. With the cost of expanding, buildings, labor, and the minefield of legalities and permits etc., it makes financial sense to leave well alone.
Bullets and brass shortages are only part of the problem. I think the next big jump in price and availability will be powder, as a fair amount of that is imported. Have a feeling we will be seeing $250 to $300 per 8lb keg here within the next couple of years. If you will be able to find it.
Sorry not to paint a rosy picture, but I have always been a realist. Stuff will still be there. Its just going to cost more.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Sounds like time to buy a LEE mold and start casting your own. Certainly less expensive and you don't have to wait for production to occur.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

buckeyeshooter wrote:Sounds like time to buy a LEE mold and start casting your own. Certainly less expensive and you don't have to wait for production to occur.
That's what I did, only with an RCBS mould. 405 GRAIN from wheel weights is about as good as any other bullet at 1300 fps.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Casting your own will certainly make you independent in the bullet department. Or buy a .444 and shoot the more plentiful revolver bullets if you must shoot jacketed bullets. One can also buy quality gas checked cast commercial bullets if you don't want to cast. :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I am not likely to cast for 45-70 again, and have the traditional "Buffalo" mold, the Lyman 457-122 "Gould" with HP pin that I could part with....

Gotta dig it out of my stuff whilst moving again, but it's not too deeply buried...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

My Wife bought me a Lee 500gr FP GC mold for Christmas I hope to cast some bullets of my own this spring when the weather warms up.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Charles

I won't miss the Speer but it would really suck if the Rem is gone. Pretty reliable bullet at appropriate velocities.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

MidSouth had some Barnes 400 gr in stock.
Natchez had some Swift A-Frame 400 gr in stock.
Grafs had both...

Remington and Speer seem to be sold out often when I am looking for certain calibers.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

This is a good substitute, and you'll never be looking for bullets again. I've pushed these as hard as my shoulder wanted, and they shoot great.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/632708 ... -gas-check
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

flatnose wrote:
This is a new era for businesses.

I call it business 102, a new model.

Demand of goods goes up, so prices increase.

Profits increase and outstrip the running costs.

Its just going to cost more.

+1

IMHO, the hoarding of .22RF ammo (aka: Obamafear) taught most makers/suppliers the new economic. . :cry:

Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

TedH wrote:This is a good substitute, and you'll never be looking for bullets again. I've pushed these as hard as my shoulder wanted, and they shoot great.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/632708 ... -gas-check

I have read great things about that RCBS bullet!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yes, using cast bullets is a good way to insulate a shooter from the vagaries of the big company bullets market; however, the fact that Remington is big and has the economies of scale is one reason that their prices are more reasonable than some other sources.
I do have a supplyof Beartooth 325 and 405 grain cast .458 bullets and plenty of loaded ammo for Africa, but the jacketed .405 bullets I want are for a special .45-90 project.

Wunderbar!!! A kindly forum member has just solved my Rem 405 problem by selling me his excess bullets!!! What a great forum! Now my .45-90 bullet testing (pressure VS velocity) project can proceed when the weather warm up some. :D

Thanks to all.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

crs
You are going to enjoy those Rem. .458 405gr JSP bullets. I've used them for a long time in the .45-70 & even in a .458 before it's recoil got to me. They are accurate in my rifle & one day I hope to get an Elk with them.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I had some Remington 210 gr 41 magnum bullets on back order and recently I was notified that they would no longer be available as a reloading component which is too bad because they shot really well out of my revolvers.