Turnbull Mounts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Turnbull Mounts

Post by guntar »

Does anyone have any experience with the Turnbull Fastfire mount for Winchester lever guns? I was looking at their web site and it looks like it would be a grat way to go for old eyes; if it works. Anybody have any advice?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Turnbull Mounts

Post by cshold »

interesting.
I think there was a thread about this awhile back.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/product-cate ... re-mounts/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Turnbull adaptor makes mounting a reflex sight (like the FFII) a snap, for those rifles that have the factory receiver peep sight prep (2 D&T&plugged holes in the upper/rear LH receiver sidewall) - but, be sure to buy the base that fits your Winchester (the various Winchester have different receiver widths)

I've been using reflex sights successfully, ever since the micro-sized Tasco Optima 2000 sight was introduced 15 years ago.

The newer reflex sights have a glass lens ILO of the plastic lens on early sights of this type.

Reflex sights are a lot like a receiver peep sight, with a better/wider view, unlimited eye relief, and don't use the rifle's iron/open sights.

jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I have a Win 1886 45-70 that Turnbull case colored for me, and did a little bit of other work also. I put one of their mounts on the gun and a Burris FF3 to see how it would shoot. Tell you what, it shot fantastic. I've got some pictures of it somewhere and if I can find them I'll post one. Anyway, I shot quite a few groups with the mount and sight on the gun at my camp range which is 114yds from deck to backstop. My gun will consistently shoot five shots into 1.8" or just a bit less with the best loads. I don't mean one group did it, I mean it does it consistently....as in all the time. I shot a buck with it right after putting it on and the deer was running past my blind when I shot. It was really easy to pick up the dot in the dim light and make the shot. I've been using red dots on most of my handguns for over twenty-five years in both hunting and competition. The Burris FF3 is as good a sight as any I've ever used and I've owned dozens of them. I also had a Burris FF3 on a Ruger SBH 44mag and it also shot well and held up well. It's a very robust sight. If you put one on a lever gun you won't be a bit disappointed with it. This group was shot in a pretty strong cross-wind and is dispersed horizontally as a result. Most are pretty "round" but I could only find this one pic right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.