Talking about combos, which and why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Talking about combos, which and why?

Post by rangerider7 »

I carry a lever and SAA often. I choose which ones according to that days purpose. Sometimes it's matching calibers and other times its one large the other small caliber. How about you?
"That'll Be The Day"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Like you what I carry in the woods changes. I usualy always carry my .45colt Vaquero the rifle varies depending on what I am hunting.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mine are one large and one small. Two different purposes entirely. If I've no rifle it is usually a big one "on the hip" as you can do more with the big one if you have to.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

When I walk the woods with Pistol only...just bumming around, either my Security Six in 357 Mag. or Ruger Flat Top 44. When It's REAL cold my SBH with a big jacket over it. My reasoning for the Big Bore? I'm more likely to come across an aggressive pit bull or rottweiler than anything else and I would want to create the most shock/ blood loss/ penetration possible, if cornered by one. A sick and aggressive Bear is another possibility so again the bigger bore makes the most sense.

When I'm totin a rifle or shotgun, I feel little need for the pistol.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Same as above - just depends on what I have in store for that day! :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon you hit it on that one, just what ever is needed.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I carry a combo, I'm usually carrying a .44 Mag Carbine with a .22 Mag handgun - for all New England game, big & small. 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

here in Pa, small game is closed during the deer season and vice versa. During deer season, It will be the Sharps as my long arm, the freedom arms .45 Colt on my hip, both in black powder loads. During small game, it will be Marlin 39 TDS, Winchester 9410, or BP shotgun, with a .22lr, .22mag Freedom Arms. During bird hunting will be shotgun and either .45colt/.410 snake slayer Bond derringer, or my ccw or both. During BP season, it will be .54 Cal Flintlock and Ruger ROA. During bow season, it will be my longbow with my ccw, or .22 smith or both.

I think the best carry possibilities would be large caliber lever, small caliber pistol or a snake gun. If it was legal to take both type of game here, I would carry that way.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its usually what graps my "soul". The longgun is picked for what needs to be done. The sixgun is most always the SA Colt that grabs! Occasionally, a .22 Ruger flatgate just gets stuffed in the "small" of my back.-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since most of my hand guns are "big-bore", it's just what I carry. For a rifle, it'll almost always be my .30-30, the 1886 .45-70 or a 7mmRM bolt gun.

I have always considered a handgun as a short range gun, and the long gun for longer ranges. Must be a hangover from my military training. I've never hunted with a handgun... something I've thought about doing, but just never have. Guess I've always wondered about the success, and took the long gun to match the anticipated ranges.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

If the Lever is pistol caliber, then a matching S&W revolver; I just enjoy doing it this way.

For "rifle" calibers, then whatever handigun is available - likely a Smith wheelgun or Hi Power or 1911/45.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I was out hiking most of today. Packed a Ruger flattop .44 and a Marlin Cowboy in 44 also. Same outfit I packed on my hike yesterday and if it doesn't rain tomorrow, they'll be pressed into service again!

Just grabbed one box of shells, good for both (9grs Unique & 255gr cast) guns.

Hiked about 8 miles nice and slow through the woods and never popped a cap! Just to durned quiet and purty out :D :D

Jeff
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm just a little weird... (duh)

The sidearm I carry is the sidearm I carry... i.e. my SP101.

If I'm carrying the .357 or .45-70 rifle, I've got catsneeze loads in the pistol.

If I'm carrying the .22 or a shotty, I've got 180gr HPs in the pistol.

I generally don't see a need for carrying the .22 pistol in the field... but then, I wouldn't really call the High Standard a field pistol anyway.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Same as above - just depends on what I have in store for that day! :D
+1,I just dress for the "Ocassion"always prepared like a good boyscout. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."