PRVI ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

PRVI ammo

Post by t.r. »

PRVI Partizan soft tip ammo is made in Serbia and is commonly sold at discounted pricing. I bought a box of 30-30 150 grain ammo recently at a gun show try out. I was disappointed with the accuracy results at 100 yards. Best 3 shot group was 3 inches and worst was 4 inches. In contrast, Winchester Power Point ammo cuts these groups sizes in half. Yes, it's accurate enough to kill a deer at typical woods distances but doesn't produce the level of accuracy that I accustomed to. My advise is to spend a little more for the "good stuff."

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: PRVI ammo

Post by J Miller »

The only PRVI ammo I've used has been in .303 Brit. It all fired fine, and for the most part I hit what I was aiming at ... usually a rock at a long range. But I didn't put any of that ammo on paper.

Luckily it is boxer primed so I reloaded it. It's been sitting there for years, I guess I should shoot it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I buy it in .22 Hornet and I agree the accuracy is mediocre. But it's good brass, and .22 Hornet brass can be hard to find and expensive when you find it.

I also buy it in 7.62 Nagant, where it is not only available but nicely priced and it's the quickest, cheapest way to get reloadable brass.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've tried the ammo in 2 Marlins with perfect satisfaction. You know, accuracy is a matter of how well the gun and ammo get along. A load that's great in one rifle can be lousy in another, whether it's cheapo stuff or premium-priced.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've shot several thousand rounds of various weight .223/5.56 in rifle and 3-Gun matches.
Didn't seem to shoot any worse than anything else I tried. The heavy weight stuff shot pretty darn good. :)
Slow is just slow.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Some folks around here will buy Privi because the brass is good quality.
I've heard that pulling the bullets and replacing the powder charge can result in much better accuracy.

Jack
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've used PRVI in 5.56 and .223 in several weights and it all worked well. The 5.56 is all mil spec.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've shot it in 5.56, 7.62X51, 7.62X54, .303, 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, 7.62X39mm, 12ga, .45, 9mm, etc.

Never had any issues with accuracy.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

308Win, 303Brit, 223Rem. All of it shoots as good or better than the domestic stuff. I love the brass it holds up well and doesnt stretch as bad as the Remington brass. I would put the brass between Winchester and Lake City 09 as far as consistancy and life are concerned. The range I ussualy go to always has it in stock and I shoot a box every time to keep my brass stock up. One of my hunting partners uses it in his 303 as well and has taken many deer with it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Prvi Partisan I've used has been over many cartridges in many rifles because I am cheap and because I make good reloading brass out of shooting it.

I will generalise and say that it can shoot reasonably well in many rifles, but if it groups badly, it won't be your rifles fault....

The ammo is also in my opinion, and in every chambering I shot it in, underloaded. You will not be getting velocities that you get out of other factory ammo.

Now, on the other hand, Sellier and Bellot - S&B makes not very good brass for reloading, brittle, hard, and primers off centre sometimes. But has been very accurate in nearly every rifle I have tried it in, more so on average than American manufacturers.
The ammo is also loaded to its full potential, and in cartridges that US makers underload, like the 7x57, 8x57, 6.5x55 etc, you can get proper velocities.

Norma is another factory ammo brand that is always accurate in everything, and top velocities also, but here it is just too expensive for a man to take any pleasure in actually shooting it.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've used various calibers they make. Unremarkable most of the time; neither good nor bad, probably good on balance given the price. Only real problem I remember was with some .32 ACP that I bought years ago during one of the many "pistol ammo crunches" under President NitWit. That stuff was horrible!
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

[quote="Model 52B"]I buy it in .22 Hornet and I agree the accuracy is mediocre. But it's good brass, and .22 Hornet brass can be hard to find and expensive when you find it.

same here...22 Hornet is sort of difficult to locate here in SoCal, too. i bought three boxes of 50 rounds each and i am reloading the brass as i fire it.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've had good luck with the 7.62 X 54R stuff.

-Stretch
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

I can confirm that Privi brass is good. I purchased thousands of brass cases in .223 Remington, .22-250 Remington, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, and 7.62x39 Russian, all of it compared in quality with Winchester brass (the 7.62x39 comparing favorably with an old batch of Remington I had on hand). Take the .22-250 Remington as an example, the cost is favorable: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... goryId/637? and I found that it easily formed into 22-250 Ackley using a Hornady Hydraulic Forming Die, or shot well as the standard .22-250 Remington in barrels so chambered.

Their ,30-06 Springfield formed easily into .25-06 Remington, and by using a .280 Remington Trim die as an intermediate step before final sizing in a .25-06 Remington F.L. die remained at or below 0.0015". Privi also manufacturers .25-06 Remington cases, but it wasn't available at the time http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... goryId/673?.

For those that want to handload from scratch Privi brass is economical when it isn't sold out: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... goryId/762? This brass would also form nicely into older wildcat cartridges such as the .30 or .357 Herrett, or 7mm Rimmed IHMSA, and many others.

One word of caution though, Privi brass can run a bit heavier, like military brass, which recommends reducing maximum loads a bit and working up.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Another nod to their 5.56. Good stuff.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.