What I like about this forum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: What I like about this forum

Post by claybob86 »

My 1911 has never been to a smith and works just fine, thank you. :roll:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

claybob86 wrote:My 1911 has never been to a smith and works just fine, thank you. :roll:
Neither have the 2 that I own. But, they are milspec and I only shoot FMJ and Winchester Ranger 230grn Hps thru them. perhaps when you ask the 1911 to do more than it was designed to do, is when problems arise with it. I got lucky with the Ranger hollow points, but have had functioning difficulties with other types of hollow points. Also have had magazine problems and had to go thru several manufactures to find reliable ones. My 2 glocks function 100% with any brand hollowpoints and Glock factory mags, regardless of capacity, ranging from 9 to 33 shot ones. In my pea brained opinion, the stock out of the box gun is an improvement on a custom 1911, when asked to do the same things. To achieve the same level of accuracy, you got to give up functionability . In what friends, who have modified or bought custom 1911's have relayed to me.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And why I don't own a $3K custom 1911. And while mine are, for the most part, not stock, if I install a part in any of mine, it better function 100%. And better make the operation easier to boot. I shoot a variety of bullets, but, in loads developed to function with 100% reliably. I went thru 90 rounds of ACP in a match on Saturday with a near stock (it's had a trigger, ramp job and taller non-adjustable sights), Taylor's Tactical 1911. The only part of this gun that -A1 is the ejection port. The only problem involved an old military magazine... it wouldn't fall out of the gun unless it was straight up and down. I don't understand how that mag made into my bag, but there it was on stage 4 in my mag holder. Luckily it was the last mag I grabbed. Finished in 4th place... not bad for an old guy that doesn't practice, or even shoot on a "regular" basis!

The other problem that just about any semi-auto pistol has is "limp wristing"... a much more common that most folks realize. Must be, since so many do it! :P :P Seen folks that don't do it with 9mms, yet they do with the 1911 in 45.
Last edited by Griff on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:And why I don't own a $3K custom 1911. And while mine are, for the most part, not stock, if I install a part in any of mine, it better function 100%. And better make the operation easier to boot. I shoot a variety of bullets, but, in loads developed to function with 100% reliably.
In my one 1911, I shoot nothing but 230 FMJs (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's sort of what they were built for?) Not wishing to mess with perfection, I use the same thing in my Glock 45acp....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've always found the 1911 vs. Glock argument curious.

To me, the fact that there is an argument at all only shows what an incredible instrument the 1911 actually is. It was used from horseback, the Glock was designed in the age of stealth aircraft.
I like and own both designs. I daily carry a 1911 of some flavor because I consider it slimmer and more carry friendly.
On my nightstand sits a Glock 21SF with a Streamlight TLR-1. To me, this a no brainer. The rail is a stroke of genius, but to me, it completely ruins what makes the 1911 shine.
They are just two completely different tools. The Glock is a marvel of simplicity and reliability. Many have copied it in some form for such a relatively young design.
The fact that the 1911 is still considered a viable fighting tool over a hundred years after its debut is nothing short of remarkable. In this aspect, Glock has a long way to go.

Anyway, just bored at work.

P.S.
My kids aren't waiting to inherit or asking to shoot my Glock.
My 1911's and Colt SAA's.........that's a different story.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have several friends that swear by Glock's . And I've shot most of them , they just don't feel good in my hand . I'd much rather have a 1911 or a SIG P220-226-229 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:I have several friends that swear by Glock's . And I've shot most of them , they just don't feel good in my hand . I'd much rather have a 1911 or a SIG P220-226-229 .
And right there, is the heart of it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I have several friends that swear by Glock's . And I've shot most of them , they just don't feel good in my hand . I'd much rather have a 1911 or a SIG P220-226-229 .
8) :wink: A subjective determination. Which is why there are dozens and dozen of choices out there.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:
8) :wink: A subjective determination. Which is why there are dozens and dozen of choices out there.
Exactly. I find the grip angle and feel of the Glock much more comfortable than a 1911, and I spent years shooting a 1911 almost daily on my job sites. When a 10mm with 15+1 rounds at 750 ft lbs weighs less than an empty 1911, I just can't see any reason to choose a 1911. When I don't have to worry about my wife and daughter calling me when I'm out of town because the 1911 stovepiped when they were target shooting, and the Glock 19 has never had a single hiccup in thousands of rounds of various manufacture the choice is clear. I don't see anyone feeling like they need to defend their choice of a Glock, but I do see some people trying to beat down Glocks and imply they don't do anything a 1911 won't do, and that's simply false.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Exactly. I find the grip angle and feel of the Glock much more comfortable than a 1911, and I spent years shooting a 1911 almost daily on my job sites. When a 10mm with 15+1 rounds at 750 ft lbs weighs less than an empty 1911, I just can't see any reason to choose a 1911. When I don't have to worry about my wife and daughter calling me when I'm out of town because the 1911 stovepiped when they were target shooting, and the Glock 19 has never had a single hiccup in thousands of rounds of various manufacture the choice is clear. I don't see anyone feeling like they need to defend their choice of a Glock, but I do see some people trying to beat down Glocks and imply they don't do anything a 1911 won't do, and that's simply false.
The onlyist thing I hate about my G30S is that my Daughter shoots it better than I do...And, that was the first time she ever shot it. :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:
+1 What He said 8)
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

TTT the statement about your daughter shooting the glock for the first time is funny and déjà vu hit me.
I had my youngest daughter shoot a 17 at the ranch under a big shade tree. I pointed at a spot on an old stump about 20 feet and told her to squeeze one off. She had never shot a glock or a 9 mm and she centered that spot first shot, which was the size of a pencil eraser! She has always been a good shooter but dang!
I hardly shoot my Gov model 1911 since I got hooked on the g 20 in 10 mm.
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

Hi Gentlemen, I'm new and am trying to figure everything out. I've been reading everyone's input, and I am enjoying this Forum.
Guns are a lot like clothes, everyone should have more than one shirt, pants, shoes, and in different colors and styles. I'm 69, and I've got more guns than years, and in most calibers. I really don't have any prejudices against any type of fire arms. I wanted to get in this forum, because, I'm getting into lever guns. I bought a .45 Colt Henry and a .22 Goldenboy. I'm waiting for my new Winchester 92, in .45 Colt, to go along with my 30/30 Winchester. I'm really excited about comparing the new Henry's against the new Winchesters. I'm going to share rounds with the rifles, and the Ruger .45 Colt hand guns I have! This kinda lights up my Retirement Days. When I go to the ranges, I might shoot more "Bull" than Lead, depending on the company I meet.
I'm looking forward to enjoying all your posts!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

WELCOME !!!!!!!!!! Any one that shoots .45 Colt and 30-30 is more than WELCOME to me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JerryB wrote:WELCOME !!!!!!!!!! Any one that shoots .45 Colt and 30-30 is more than WELCOME to me.
+ one...… :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hans-Jurgen wrote:I'm really excited about comparing the new Henry's against the new Winchesters. I'm going to share rounds with the rifles, and the Ruger .45 Colt hand guns I have! This kinda lights up my Retirement Days. When I go to the ranges, I might shoot more "Bull" than Lead, depending on the company I meet.
Then after you get bored with the Winchesters and Henry, get a few Marlins... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

I had a Marlin .444 in the early 70's! I'm still impressed with that gun, but it wasn't that much fun to shoot! Since we can't use rifles in Illinois, and I didn't have the money to hunt out of state, I made someone else happy! But I'm still impressed with the .444 Marlin! Way too much of a gun for my age! Wish I still had it though, a great gun, wasted in the Mid-West!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hans-Jurgen wrote:I had a Marlin .444 in the early 70's! I'm still impressed with that gun, but it wasn't that much fun to shoot! Since we can't use rifles in Illinois, and I didn't have the money to hunt out of state, I made someone else happy! But I'm still impressed with the .444 Marlin! Way too much of a gun for my age! Wish I still had it though, a great gun, wasted in the Mid-West!
But, but, but.....What if T-Rex is cloned and escapes??

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

I'd have to shoot him twice!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hans-Jurgen wrote:I'd have to shoot him twice!
See that's the problem with the .444. You'd have to shoot the T Rex twice, but you'd probably only have time for one shot. The mighty 45-70 would be one shot DRT. I suppose this is just an example of why some folks survive and other don't. Natural selection. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

jeepnik wrote:
Hans-Jurgen wrote:I'd have to shoot him twice!
See that's the problem with the .444. You'd have to shoot the T Rex twice, but you'd probably only have time for one shot. The mighty 45-70 would be one shot DRT. I suppose this is just an example of why some folks survive and other don't. Natural selection. :mrgreen:
My wife and I enjoy the Tremors series of movies. I've often lamented the fact Burt Gummer didn't have a 45-70 with 550gr hardcast. When I sold mine (with plans to buy another of different configuration) the wife was concerned I would be defenseless against graboids. I gently reminded her I have a .50 BMG until the 45-70 is replaced and we should be fine. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hans-Jurgen wrote:Hi Gentlemen, I'm new and am trying to figure everything out...
Hans,
I'm OLD and still trying to figure stuff out. In fact, the signature photo on the left is me in a bar in 1893.

The trouble now is, I'm starting to forget stuff that I learned last year!
Anyway,
Welcome, Levergunner!

Glad to have you.
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

Thank you for the welcome, I'm glad to be here! I just came back from lunch, with some of my shooting buddies,and mentioned this forum! I'm sure I can come up with a .45/70, if the need arises ! My buddy told me he has 4 of them. I think we got inspired to go shooting, because of this forum! Thanks again!
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

I put down $1,039.00 for a new Winchester 92G, today. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow! Now real retirement starts! :o
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:When I sold mine (with plans to buy another of different configuration) the wife was concerned I would be defenseless against graboids. I gently reminded her I have a .50 BMG until the 45-70 is replaced and we should be fine. :D
But....the 50 BMG isn't as powerful as the 45-70, is it.....???? :wink:

Reminds me, I really must get out my almost-safe-queen from Big Horn Armory, and actually shoot it; I'd planned on deer hunting with it this year, but the days I went out were nasty weather, so I took the stainless 44 Mag. Of course, like the 45-70 and 444, the 500 is a bit over-powered for whitetail, but it is an Indiana-legal deer cartridge, and the gun deserves to go afield, even though it has some of the prettiest wood and nicest finish I've ever seen on a new-production gun (and by far the most I've ever spent on a gun, too).

I posted about it a ways back (> Spike Driver thread) but my photos aren't that good. The ones from either are better.

Even though I live in Indiana, I had to get it, 'cuz I thought I saw some Cape Buffalo tracks out behind the barn... :o
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AJMD429 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:When I sold mine (with plans to buy another of different configuration) the wife was concerned I would be defenseless against graboids. I gently reminded her I have a .50 BMG until the 45-70 is replaced and we should be fine. :D
But....the 50 BMG isn't as powerful as the 45-70, is it.....???? :wink:

Reminds me, I really must get out my almost-safe-queen from Big Horn Armory, and actually shoot it; I'd planned on deer hunting with it this year, but the days I went out were nasty weather, so I took the stainless 44 Mag. Of course, like the 45-70, the 500 is a bit over-powered for whitetail, but it is an Indiana-legal deer cartridge, and the gun deserves to go afield, even though it has some of the prettiest wood and nicest finish I've ever seen on a new-production gun (and by far the most I've ever spent on a gun, too).

I posted about it a ways back (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59895) but my photos aren't that good. The ones from the Website or GunBlast.com are better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMM2_p6xuJQ
Nice gun, I'm looking for a pistol grip 1895 to turn in to a guide to replace the GS i sold.
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

You changed the pic while i was replying lol
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:You changed the pic while i was replying lol
Yeah - my own photos (in the thread I linked to) kind of suck, and don't do justice to the finish and fit of the gun, so I went with the 'glamour shots' from their website... :D

If I could only have two lever guns (a 'thought exercise' I think is fun, but with the political 'leadership' these days even thinking such a thing gets scary because they might try to make it happen), I think I'd pick my 500 S&W and my 32-20. Between those two anything within range (neither shoots pointy bullets) is covered; the 32-20 can go from 22 WMR-mild to 30 Carbine-wild, and the 500 can go from 45 Colt 'cowboy load' mild to 3,720 ft-lbs (Hornady 350 gr XTP @ 2188 fps), or even 4,456 ft-lbs (DoubleTap 400 WFNGC @ 2240 fps), in case a Cape Buffalo escapes from the zoo. Plus, in a real pinch, as long as I have primers and powder of some sort, a bag of 50 caliber plastic sabots mean I could shoot about any handy projectile I needed to.

The 'blued' version is actually stainless steel with a durable matte-black nitride (?) finish kind of like what's on a Glock [....oops, I said the 'G' word... :o ]. I got mine relatively cheap because they were just getting up and running, but now they even have a "#1 Walnut" (mine is the mere #2) with color case-hardening...but the price is way up there.

Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

Beautiful guns! I guess if we look long enough, we will find like minds! I like Wood guns, and Big Smiths! I feel secure in Il, with good lever gun or two, and my S&W 460. They cover most situations I can think of! I really appreciate .45 Colt hard lead! Something a man can depend on! 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hans-Jurgen wrote:Beautiful guns! I guess if we look long enough, we will find like minds! I like Wood guns, and Big Smiths! I feel secure in Il, with good lever gun or two, and my S&W 460. They cover most situations I can think of! I really appreciate .45 Colt hard lead! Something a man can depend on! 8)
Ooooh.....you just gots to get ya a BigHorn Model 90 in 460 S&W then... :mrgreen:

Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

After checking out your, video, I came to the same conclusion ! :shock:
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Still waiting for my Bighorn Armory model 90. I ordered the 454 Casull Carbine. It will look like Doc's only bright with the best walnut. Hope it comes before I kick off. Just bought a small piece of mountainside acreage in north Idaho to put a hunting camp on. Was working last night on the backhoe, rocking a building site and watched 15 or 20 elk across the canyon come out to feed. (425 ranged yards). Had fresh elk scat and tracks on the building site the morning before. And welcome to the fire, Hans-Jurgen!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

It sounds beautiful out there! I retired as a Heavy Equipment Operator! Hillsides can be more exciting than shooting , epically on a back-hoe! After 45 years on hoes and crawlers , a good levergun has taken over my excitement ! If not for this forum, I might not know of these beautiful leverguns. It's great meeting people from all over the Country! Stay healthy, & make your dream com true! I've got some serious savings to do, to be able to get me a 460! Let's try to make the most of what time we have left! Thanks for the welcome! :D
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

You're right about the hill! If I suddenly quit posting you know I backed the ole girl a little too close to the edge. I'll take some pictures and start a post about my new "digs".
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

That would be fantastic! :D